Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone set up a security cam with a wifi dongle?

Options
  • 17-05-2015 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭
    EMar Sounds

Hi,

I'm away from home and thought about securing my parent's house.
    I'm wondering if any of you have set up something simple like a cam
    that runs off a wifi dongle, my parents don't have internet access at home.

That way I could put cams around their home and run everything from batteries.
    I'd probably need some kind of computer system to run it from I don't know.
    Basically you'd have a cam connected to wifi dongle and could watch it from anywhere.

Is there an affordable way to achieve this?

I know a lot of the youth around that area, they're all grown up now,
    But I also know some of them wonder around at night.

If I catch them I'll prob end up in jail, this would be better,
    I could call the cops while my parents are asleep, they wouldn't even have to know.
    Give em peace of mind.. and me.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭crasy dash

You might get a better answer over on the home security systems if one of the mods see this they might move it to there for you.

Its full of registered installers who really know their stuff to be honest and will help you decide how to go about it

Hope it helps :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Thread moved.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭thesteve

Sounds wrote: »
    That way I could put cams around their home and run everything from batteries.

Why batteries? You can use IP cameras connected to a wifi dongle over wifi and powered via a standard plug, or use a POE switch and ethernet cable.
    Sounds wrote: »
    I'd probably need some kind of computer system to run it from I don't know.
    Basically you'd have a cam connected to wifi dongle and could watch it from anywhere.

Depends on what you want to do. I have set something similar up in the past that was;
    - 2 * wireless IP cameras powered
    - Router with a 3g dongle plugged directly into it
    - Cameras were configured to email still images on motion
    - On motion, footage would be recorded to an old mac mini connected to the router
    - You can also use an NVR for parts of the above

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Sounds
    EMar Sounds

I think I could provide some server storage for live image uploads, handy if I wanted to access them in a web browser.
    I'd like to be able to watch them live also, I was wondering if I could use some streaming software I have on the server.
    It's basically a free flash server, Red5, I could run that from a web page with password access.. maybe.

What kind of cams would you use? something like this?

Just looking for ideas here.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭thesteve

I used cheaper outdoor foscam cameras for the remote installation and got setup using a strong 3g connection on the 3 network and everything worked grand, but I could never live stream. I discovered later that those 3g dongles barred incoming connections :/

At home I use more expensive 720p cameras (like the y cams), and have a PC running blue iris to handle all the alerts, motion detection and recording.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Sounds
    EMar Sounds

Thanks I'll have to throw something together soon.

Advertisement