Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half Life 2 delayed again..?

Options
  • 21-01-2004 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭

Reports are surfacing that its going to be delayed again till september.

The Inquirer

horray. not.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,462 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I have a feeling this game is going to take about 8 hours to finish and will be a huge letdown...... The hype is OTT.

- Dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

NO!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Originally posted by Scruff
    Reports are surfacing that its going to be delayed again till september.

The Inquirer

horray. not.

Fromt he above link

A WEB SITE is now reporting that Valve's Half Life 2 game will be delayed until September.

Wow ... the details are overwhelming. WHICH site? WHO said it? :rolleyes:

Further ....
    taken from Planet Halflife
    "Half-Life 2 Wins Vaporware Award"

Fans looked forward to a September release date, which later slipped to the holidays.

Then something weird happened. In early October, Valve claimed it had been the victim of a virtual break-in and that a cracker had stolen the game's source code.

Could some 'outstanding' journalist have /possibly/ misread that but about the september release date? :rolleyes:

Hope your right, The 25 min movie on fileplanet looks amazing.
    I cant see what elce they could add in 9 months to make it better except for a much longer campiagn

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 1,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭satchmo

Originally posted by Lemming
    Wow ... the details are overwhelming. WHICH site? WHO said it? :rolleyes:
    It says at the bottom of the page that the report was from warp2search.net.. and according to them, they "Just had an email from Gameplay.com telling me that the release date for Half Life 2 has been changed to Sep 24 2004."

A little searching on gameplay.com reveals the nugget of wisdom "Please note that this release date is when we at Gameplay expect the game to be released and still subject to change."

Sounds like rock-solid proof alright :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,514 ✭✭✭patch

This game is starting to piss me off in the same way that Duke Nukim' Forever has.....

Well i ws plannig to fill about 20 a4 pages full of **************** and then post it but i decided not 2 cause i would be bored and get banned

But OMFG back to september!??
    I know popele that threatened suicide last november if it was not released bvefore the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭BluE-WinG

For Fúcks sakes.

Lookin alot like Duke Nukem Forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭shinzon

oh for god sake i dont believe this, i know a lot has happened what with the theft of the source code etc etc, but this is really taking the piss if its true

Maybe the hacker was right when he said the code was not nearly as finished as valve made it out to be.

This company has gone way down in my opinion, I was really looking forward to this but now I dont give 2 monkies whether it comes out or not, theyll be plenty of better games coming out before this, itll be old hat if it ever does see the light of day

Shin

Ye Shin you neaver know... Duke nukem 4eaver might be out b4 HL2 LOL

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

THERE HAS BEEN NO OFFICAL ANNOUNCEMENT!!!!!! Gameplay.com know exactly as much as all of us. Until Valve says otherwise, the offical release date is the holiday season 2003. Yes, I understand the irony.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

I'm not going to listen to any more crap about the release date.
    I'll believe it's out when I'm holding it in my hand.
    (and thanks to getting a Radeon 9800XT, I can look forward to paying nothing for it as well!)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Originally posted by patch
    This game is starting to piss me off in the same way that Duke Nukim' Forever has.....

will you relax the game was only annouced last year for pitys sake just take a chill pill it will come when it does.

ohhh updated release date of Duke nukem is january 2005 :rolleyes:

i didnt hear about that date.
    I was wondering would dukehuken 4ever appear in gamespys top 40 most wanted games of 2004

• Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

if this game is delayed anymore it'd want to be a damn good game. though from what i've seen/heard it's already shaping up to be a great game... hopefully.

sorry mayhem are you talking about DN 4ever or HL 2 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i've a inkling that he's talking bout HL2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

I would say that it is a mistake ... end of Sept 2003 was when it was originally going to be released ... someone probably read that wrong and now thinks it is Sept 2004

Well hopefully its all just a mix up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Originally posted by Lemming
    Then something weird happened. In early October, Valve claimed it had been the victim of a virtual break-in and that a cracker had stolen the game's source code.
    Firstly i find the term 'cracker' racist, and secondly, how do they know the thief was white!? :D

Seriously tho..the hype around this game is gone into levels i dont think ive ever known with a game so far..how it be anything but disappointing now??

• Advertisement

Well if the 600meg 25 min movie on fileplanet is any indication. It will be worth the wait.

BTW those of you on a 56k who cant DL it cause its too big. go into one of the many net cafe`s in ireland. Net House in rathmines just upgraded to a 1 meg line so go dl the movie then burn it onto a CD

thats what i used to do until i got my cabel

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

1. The leaked "Beta" wasn't a beta.
    It was barely an alpha.

Compare it with the Doom3 alpha, which was gorgoues, but slow and unoptimised.
    The HL2 leak looked ropey as fuck and aside from the physics engine (which is 3rd-party middleware - not Valve's work) evertyhing looked a bit pants.
    Of course, as far as we know* it was never meant to be released.

2. Valve are seeming more and more like a band of chancer muppets, the whole STEAM thing really getting my goat.
    Having to auth on the internet to play on a LAN just plain sucks.
    It's a tool to get more money out of LAN cafés without doing much more work, and the p2p side of it was a flop.
    They wouldn't just license FastTrack and put a bit of version checksumming in the patch files.... :rolleyes:

3. "Half life 2 delayed again" is hardly news at this stage.
    I'll pick up a copy when it's released, but I could care less at this point.
    Far more interested in OpFlash2, Doom3 and Ground Control 2.

* I still think the leak might have been a ploy to get the publishers off the developers' backs, or a contrieved marketing stunt.
    HL2 better be bloody amazing and have a long long playtime in singleplayer.

Duke 4ever
    HL2
    Doom 3

Will probbley all be the top 3 in any order of gamespys 40 moast wanted games of 2004

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Shred

*sigh*

I'm takin' that report with a pinch of salt until an official statement is made, hope it's not true though:(

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Originally posted by SyxPak
    The HL2 leak looked ropey as fuck and aside from the physics engine (which is 3rd-party middleware - not Valve's work)

We were told by Havok that their physics engine (Havok 2) is mostly based on work with Valve. (Something like... Valve saying "can you do this?", Havok said yes, and so on, the end product was Havok 2).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

If any of you remember or followed the release of Half life there was as many delays and release date set backs in the run up to Half life being released. Also Half Life was really expected to be much good with more hope for the likes of Sin(hour loading times anyone) and Prey(which I don't think ever say the light of day). I can vividly remember threads exactly this on the planetHalflife.com forum (which was decent before it sold its soul) filled with the same drivel. HL2 has been put back a few months not 4 or 5 years like Duke Nukem Forever. Also lump of hacked together code which we have no proof was the latest build isn't something to judge the games quality or how complete it is.

Well who would judge the quality of the game on that little bit rleased over the net?
    I didnt follow HL develpment i just obught it when it came out. It is a anoying delay but it does mean that the game will be better

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Originally posted by User45701
    Well who would judge the quality of the game on that little bit rleased over the net?
    I didnt follow HL develpment i just obught it when it came out. It is a anoying delay but it does mean that the game will be better
    Now you're judging the quality of the game based on it being delayed.

how so?
    You mean the way i am making an asumption that the game will be better if its delayed for a few months?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Originally posted by User45701
    how so?
    You mean the way i am making an asumption that the game will be better if its delayed for a few months?

Assuming something is practically the same thing as judging it.

If would have been different if you had said something like this… It is an annoying delay, but if the extra developing time means that the game will be better it will be worth the wait.

Advertisement