Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless alarms??

Options
  • 22-05-2015 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭

Hey all,

Just wondering are wireless alarms any good? im going installing an intruder alarm at some point.. the house is over 30 years old so its not wired and its a lot of money to get it wired up.. So has anyone wireless alarms fitted and are ya happy? ive seen packages for wireless alarms for 700 - 800 euro would that be enough for a decent spec alarm? would I be losing much if I went wireless compared to wired??

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Wireless are now as good as wired. They both conform to the same standards. Whether you get enough coverage for that price would depend on your house.
    Ideally you need to cover all ground floor and accessible points of entry with inertia shock sensors and contacts. And then 2 PiR motion sensors.
    For wireless I would recommend GSD or Risco.
    I'm mobile at the moment. I will put up some data sheets later for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭mickwat155

KoolKid wrote: »

Cheers for the reply buddy I forgot to mention the house is only a wee bungalow.. Would 800 euro get the kinda package you mention? Or would I need to go deeper into the pocket? I don't expect a accurate figure.. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

you'd probably be looking at more money. you could always use external perimeter protection if you've a lower budget.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

mickwat155 wrote: »
    Cheers for the reply buddy I forgot to mention the house is only a wee bungalow.. Would 800 euro get the kinda package you mention? Or would I need to go deeper into the pocket? I don't expect a accurate figure.. Cheers

Are you looking at a self install or a professional installation?

• Advertisement

Are you looking at a self install or a professional installation?

Professional fitted definitely.. I rang a company yesterday but they never got back to me I'm jus impatient but il probably be better ringing a company to get an exact price.

Evolution1 wrote: »
    you'd probably be looking at more money. you could always use external perimeter protection if you've a lower budget.

What's involved with external perimeter protection?

mickwat155 wrote: »
    Professional fitted definitely.. I rang a company yesterday but they never got back to me I'm jus impatient but il probably be better ringing a company to get an exact price.

Get a few company's out to do a proper site survey & get a written system design proposal. As I said you should be looking for all ground floor & accessible windows & doors covered by inertia shock sensors & magnetic contacts to detect opening & forced entry. On top of this one or 2 PiRs to cover hallway or common areas.
    If you are looking for monitoring ext make sure all information is covered in the specification. What does maintenance contract cover ? All calls limited by time & amount allowed annually? Be careful here , some maintenance contracts only cover one or 2 calls per year. A good maintenance contract should cover you for all call outs & labour.
    Also if you are looking at an IP system check out what's covered. Most systems give you free apps & free usage but some charge for apps & require you to pay annual subscriptions,.
    There is some good information on apps etc here.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057394782
    With the coverage needed as above how many windows & doors would you be looking at?

Get a few company's out to do a proper site survey & get a written system design proposal. As I said you should be looking for all ground floor & accessible windows & doors covered by inertia shock sensors & magnetic contacts to detect opening & forced entry. On top of this one or 2 PiRs to cover hallway or common areas.
    If you are looking for monitoring ext make sure all information is covered in the specification. What does maintenance contract cover ? All calls limited by time & amount allowed annually? Be careful here , some maintenance contracts only cover one or 2 calls per year. A good maintenance contract should cover you for all call outs & labour.
    Also if you are looking at an IP system check out what's covered. Most systems give you free apps & free usage but some charge for apps & require you to pay annual subscriptions,.
    There is some good information on apps etc here.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057394782
    With the coverage needed as above how many windows & doors would you be looking at?

Two external doors - front and back door
    10 windows
    5 internal doors

Theres four really small windows on the porch that you wouldn't fit through and one in the bathroom would I be okay leave them Or better to do all?

Without seeing the windows in question its hard for me to say.
    The internal doors are not relevant.
    I'd say a professional installation would be a little over your budget, but its worth doing it right. Don't sacrifice protection for a cheaper price. The cheaper systems using PiRs only are only going to tell you after someone has broken in. A good alarm should be preventing a break in.

• Advertisement

Without seeing the windows in question its hard for me to say.
    The internal doors are not relevant.
    I'd say a professional installation would be a little over your budget, but its worth doing it right. Don't sacrifice protection for a cheaper price. The cheaper systems using PiRs only are only going to tell you after someone has broken in. A good alarm should be preventing a break in.

Cheers for the information you've been most helpful :)

Your welcome.
    If you need anything else come back to us.

If youre going for a system with an app I'd include 1or 2 external detectors. This way you'd know someone was on the property before they even got near a door or window. The door/window sensors can act as confirmation. This would be ideal as it would allow a quicker response as theyd be detected before getting near the house.

Evolution1 wrote: »
    If youre going for a system with an app I'd include 1or 2 external detectors. This way you'd know someone was on the property before they even got near a door or window. The door/window sensors can act as confirmation. This would be ideal as it would allow a quicker response as theyd be detected before getting near the house.

How would that work if a family member or a friend or myself was approaching the house.. Do I get notified or is it the gardas or the company that installed it?

External detectors would not be common on a normal residential property.

You get a notification and a text if you wish. Sirens can temporarily triggered or they can be left silent. There's loads of options you can do to have it avoid them alerting you when you enter the property. Yes they are not the norm for residential houses and as such no one would expect you to have them . at least you won't be waiting for a PIR to trip inside the house to confirm that something is up.

You'd get your external detector alert ( you can then check cameras)

Then you'd get your window detector . ( somethings definately up but at least they're not inside yet) so you've time to get someone to check it out. And you'd be certain someone is hanging around as its very unlikely the two would trip.

Then you get your internal PIR detector but at this stage they are inside the premises but you have a list of what rooms they are in and what pathway they took through the house.

Advertisement