Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long does a domestic alarm system last?

Options
  • 19-05-2015 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭

I put in a HKC alarm in my house with the usual inertia sensors IR detectors about 9 years. It´s worked very well with absolutely no problems.
    I´m wondering now though should I change it for a new one, because it has been installed for so many years.

What´s the expert view on this? Is 9 years very old?
    Or should I just replace some component parts?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

As the saying goes, if it ain't broke then don't try to fix it.

Your system is relatively new, there is no technical reason as to why you should update it, unless you are into gadgets etc.

I would say though the one thing that alters with time is how burglars behave so a system designed around the way they broke in years ago may not necessarily reflect a new system.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,643 ✭✭✭✭altor

I would agree with Kub also.
    The only reason would be if you where looking for new features to add to your security.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

Thanks Lads. I suppose I was thinking a new control panel with more zones might be handy for tighter fault control. I was also wondering if there´s a recommended swap out interval for the control box battery and the Bell box battery.

The last thing I want is some guy cutting the main fuse and disabling the whole thing in a short period of time

• Registered Users Posts: 11,643 ✭✭✭✭altor

Reyman wrote: »
    Thanks Lads. I suppose I was thinking a new control panel with more zones might be handy for tighter fault control. I was also wondering if there´s a recommended swap out interval for the control box battery and the Bell box battery.

The last thing I want is some guy cutting the main fuse and disabling the whole thing in a short period of time

What type back up battery have you installed?

Advertisement