Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming Children

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

I am not a fan of music, of any type
    I neaver have been I like very few music tracks less than 20 and only about 5 songs almost all of which are from movies

So to me this is welcome news

• Registered Users Posts: 8,035 ✭✭✭BKtje

In the Nordic regions, 90 per cent of children aged between nine and 16 play online games, the survey found, compared to 64 per cent in Ireland

64% of kids play online games in ireland!?
    news to me, since when could kids (and their parents) afford this? I know inet costs are coming down but 64% of kids?
    I know my bro doesnt play any online games (tho a fair bit of ps2) and i dont think any of his friends do either.

Or is this 64% of the gamers played online games?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

as a sig on boards says .....99% of statistics are made up on the spot ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭seanos

In reference to Nordic region;
    If you've ever played Browser-based games [i.e. Planetarion, Planetia, Dawn of Myth, Starsphere etc] you will notice that the vast majority of the players are from Norway - and also take the games very seriously :)

I wouldent say that 64% in Ireland play online games
    about 50% would play online games on and off
    about 20% would be regular online gamers
    about 10% would be very regular
    about 4% would be fanitical online gamers

Just my opinion

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Originally posted by User45701
    I wouldent say that 64% in Ireland play online games
    about 50% would play online games on and off
    about 20% would be regular online gamers
    about 10% would be very regular
    about 4% would be fanitical online gamers

Just my opinion

What ever about 64% of children playing games online in Ireland. 50% playing on and offline is, in my opinion, most likely an underestimation.

So about 60% are on and off gamers?
    Dont forget the vast majority of female do not play games and those male that are still in school/collage some of them are fanitical study`rs who put studying before there own enjoyment so they ake up a decent precentage aswell

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Originally posted by User45701
    So about 60% are on and off gamers?
    Dont forget the vast majority of female do not play games and those male that are still in school/collage some of them are fanitical study`rs who put studying before there own enjoyment so they ake up a decent precentage aswell

Yes, I'd say 60% would be closer then what you first said. It’s very hard (and/or costly) to get good stats on such things.

The female part is thankfully (slowly) changing, with girls (not woman) things like the GB/GBA is a strong push in the right direction. And most toy and music shops in Ireland stocking games is a strong push for both genders.

There are some very skilled CS female gamers out there
    And some of my friends are starting to show a interest in it

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭[DF]Lenny

Its worrying...my 5 yr old can now play CS ,knows what to buy and got frags.Cs is now banned untill after kids bedtime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

there is a lot of truth there. i have an 8 year old brother and he plays online games (mainly stupid spaceship games from flash sites) practically every day. and he's pretty handy at ps, ps2 and pc games, most of the time.

the next generation of gamers will be elite and in real life, supreme killers and soldiers.

I remember when i was around 5 i stated on my gaming stuff then got into bigger stuff around 7/8 been a obsesive compulsive gamer ever since

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Originally posted by [DF]Lenny
    Its worrying...my 5 yr old can now play CS ,knows what to buy and got frags.Cs is now banned untill after kids bedtime.

Why would you teach them CS then ban it?? Presumably he didnt "hack" your PC when you werent looking and learn it all himself.

project-mayhem, I agree, child gamers will be elite super soldiers once they invent a gun with a left mouse button in place of the trigger, its only a matter of time. I believe it would be wise to appease these mighty warriors during this time we have, pre-New World Order.

Matt

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Originally posted by project-mayhem
    the next generation of gamers will be elite and in real life, supreme killers and soldiers.

The Last Starfighter :)

They won't be elite, they'll just be far more comfortable with it, like TV, it'll become part of their daily lives.
    The naturally talented ones will be far more experience strategists and situational analysers, better generals and officers, not soldiers...until everything is fought with USVs and UAVs.
    Then the kids who play Battlefield/OpFlash will pwn.
    At the end of the day it comes down to genetics, not whether or not you cleared Sonic when you were still in-utero.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

People make up statistics all the time. 14% of people know that.

Advertisement