Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free publicity????

Options
  • 20-01-2004 2:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭

I'm curious to those of us who have seen terminator 2 (every1) the part where John connor makes fun of nintendo and says he has a sega (i think) Did they get paid for those lines or pay to have them put in??

I noticed it alot in mid 90s films that nintendo would be referred to on the side (hackers another example) or sega would be referred to.

Do these companies get this for free?

The most recent example i saw was on a episode of South Park when Cartman launches his Toothfairy plan to get a (in best cartman voice) "Sega Dreamcast"

Not as recent as i'd like but it was the episode that got me on this frame of thinking.

Also why is it always nintendo who is taken the piss out of.

And i havnt seen Sony or Microsoft get much of this treatment

(even in films when people are playin consoles they are generally playin N64s or Saturns or Dreamcasts etc etc)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I've seen the PS controller in quite alot of things.

Course, the actors "playing" the games are usually doing so in the frantic spasticated button-bashing fury of the 1970s Coin-Op cabinets.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Oh, and in Hackers, when he's in the "club" playing the game on the big screen?
    It's Wipeout

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

is this gonna turn into spot the game in the film thread is it?

ok

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭BluE-WinG

Dont forget Blizzards Diablo 2 in one of the cut scenes of 'antitrust' - Damn cool film.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Anyone remember The Wizard starring the kid from Wonderyears? That entire film was basically a two-hour Nintendo advert.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

i was about to ask for that films name...

on a side note does anyone else here piss themselves laughing when they watch Hackers cause of all the net reference jargon which is mostly wrong my fav being.

Its the fastest possible modem a 28.8 BPS with 3d...

made me laugh...(and hackers is not that old...about 10 years or so. at least 56k was available in ireland at most and more in americ...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭iasc

i remember in friends chandler saying something about the playstation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Originally posted by iasc
    i remember in friends chandler saying something about the playstation
    and he played doom on his laptop.
    diamond geezericon14.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Similar to Mr.Pak my pet peeve is watching some actor going nuts on the controller and then get a peek at a relatively slow game onscreen, they didn't even spend 2 minutes actually seeing how they should pretend to play the damn thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Originally posted by _CreeD_
    Similar to Mr.Pak my pet peeve is watching some actor going nuts on the controller and then get a peek at a relatively slow game onscreen, they didn't even spend 2 minutes actually seeing how they should pretend to play the damn thing.
    now there's a career for me!
    "gameplay consultant"
    /me packs his bags and moves to Hollywood

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭TheSonOfBattles

Spaced episode 3 needs to be mentioned here. A guy in it starts playing Resident Evil most of the way through the episode, and when he gets drunk, thinks the artsy fartsy assholes at a gallery are zombies and starts punching them out.

Hilarity ensues. :D

Advertisement