Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very nervous

Options
  • 04-12-2013 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    First time posting here,right might be a stupid question put where can I get driving lessons in a camper the biggest thing I have driven is my little car and the camper looks huge (hymer b544) .
    A elderly relative of mine has given my family the use of his 2006 van as he can't drive it any more and doesn't want to sell it.I would love to get the use from it rather than leaving it rot in the yard...any tips would be appreciated .

Comments

You could try a driving instructor if it's 3.5ton, otherwise HGV instructor. Not much to it really you just have to get a feel for it and know where the 4 corners are. Watch your blind spots (they're bigger) and keep an eye to the inside rear wheel when turning corners as you need to compensate for the wheelbase.
    You also need to remember what's behind you when you park. For this reason I always reverse into parking spaces it's easier get in than out.
    Generally it's easier drive something with no bonnet and a higher driving position once you overcome the size.

You could try not using the rear view in the car for a while; that'll get you into good habits. I never use them even when there is the option, or you might find a reversing camera an asset.

Oh yeah...always expect some gobsh1te to overtake you on the inside as soon as you put your left indicator on to change lanes....well in Ireland anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭pastense

If you knew somebody with a van it would be a good start to drive that. The change up from that is not too difficult, depending on what you want to end up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭timmy4u2

There will be some overhang at tha rear-the distance from the rear axle to the rear of the camper- so when you are in a narrow traffic situation be careful of the amount the rear will "hang out" if taking any turn offs etc of over 60 degrees.
    Be alert for some swing in windy conditions but do not over react.
    You will need to brake sooner also due to the weight of the camper.
    And watch out for low overheads going into car parks etc.

Good point know your height.
    Better yet write it in the cab.

+1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

You'll get used to it quickly the higher driving position and giant mirrors are an advantage and also people get out of your way, i find when I go back to the hatchback the visibility is terrible and i get shoved into the ditch all the time by idiots with 3 feet on their side of the road,never happens in the van. Reversing cams are dirt cheap now good invetment, if its left hand drive you could even fit one as a dash cam on the right for overtaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Moomat

Harr, where are you based?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Thanks for all the replies,some good sound advice given and yes I think I will invest in camera for reversing.
    I hope to get my first spin in it a week or two after Christmas if the weather is ok. A friend is a rigid truck driver and has offered to come out with me the first few spins .Would still like to get a few lessons from an instructor who knows his way around large vans or campers.
    I am based in Kildare/Laois area...

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Moomat

Your friend in the rigid should be able to give you all the direction you need. I'm in Dublin and would've given you a hand if you were local. It'll just take plenty of practice and you'll be fine. Watch out for low branches also, especially if you've to pull into the side of the road in a hurry, for example you're on a narrow road and some eijit is hurtling towards you. The camper panels are light and as an A Class you'll be pretty wide up front. Some of main things you'll need to get to grips with are height, tail swing, width, blind spots and the driving position. As it's an A Class you'll be sitting pretty far from the front and side windows so the driving position will take a bit of getting used to. You will get it though, basically if you can judge where the passenger side wheel is on your car, you can judge the same on the camper. Just don't get overwhelmed!

You'll have a ball! Best of luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

In meters and in feet. Also remember that you won't fit into some carparks, so you'll need to find out in advance which ones you'll fit into.
    paddyp wrote: »
    Reversing cams are dirt cheap now good invetment, if its left hand drive you could even fit one as a dash cam on the right for overtaking.
    This; it'll save your paint and your insurance. I'm pretty sure you can't use them in the test (well, you can't in the car test anyhoos), so best not getting the cameras until after you pass your test, to avoid getting into bad habits (of looking at the camera) that may go against you in the test. Someone else may be able to clarify this bit.

• Advertisement

the_syco wrote: »
    In meters and in feet. Also remember that you won't fit into some carparks, so you'll need to find out in advance which ones you'll fit into.

This; it'll save your paint and your insurance. I'm pretty sure you can't use them in the test (well, you can't in the car test anyhoos), so best not getting the cameras until after you pass your test, to avoid getting into bad habits (of looking at the camera) that may go against you in the test. Someone else may be able to clarify this bit.
    I do not think the OP is doing a driving test. He/she, the lucky so n sos have received a present of a Hymer motor home.
    They are 3120kg and payload of 280kg to max 3400kg. Car licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

timmy4u2 wrote: »
    I do not think the OP is doing a driving test. He/she, the lucky so n sos have received a present of a Hymer motor home.
    They are 3120kg and payload of 280kg to max 3400kg. Car licence.
    Ah sorry, my bad. Saw the thing and thought "D" license :o

the_syco wrote: »
    Ah sorry, my bad. Saw the thing and thought "D" license :o
    Something people do not think about. I know a neighbour who bought one in UK, paid for it and asked me to drive it home. When I got there I knew straight away it was over the 3500.

I was licensed to drive it but the owner could not. Seller would not contemplate returning money as it was there for three weeks awaiting collection, and you could not blame him. They finished up selling it and buying another. Good part was they made good profit on the resale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

in some ways it's easier to drive a bigger vehicle. You can see better,for one thing. Just take your time and remember you are wider and longer.

I always found that reversing in a confined space was easier than going at it forward, because you can see down both sides of the van in the mirrors.

Just a quick update , got my first spin in the motorhome today, a friend who is a lorry driver took me out. I found it a pleasure to drive he took me down narrow roads and towns kind of put me in at the deep end.
    As someone posted here most cars get out of the way and once I took my time and relaxed about the traffic behind me I was fine, a lot better than I taught it would be. Another 3 or 4 lessons and I will be all set for a run somewhere over the bank holiday weekend. Next time will be reversing parking.
    Any recommendations on a easy to get to site,I am based in North Kildare .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

harr wrote: »
    Just a quick update , got my first spin in the motorhome today, a friend who is a lorry driver took me out. I found it a pleasure to drive he took me down narrow roads and towns kind of put me in at the deep end.
    As someone posted here most cars get out of the way and once I took my time and relaxed about the traffic behind me I was fine, a lot better than I taught it would be. Another 3 or 4 lessons and I will be all set for a run somewhere over the bank holiday weekend. Next time will be reversing parking.

http://www.treegrovecamping.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Malta1

I bet your trucker friend never told you that you MUST wave to all other motorhomes that you meet - its kinda like a secret handshake ;)

Malta1 wrote: »
    I bet your trucker friend never told you that you MUST wave to all other motorhomes that you meet - its kinda like a secret handshake ;)
    Must keep that in mind,I noticed that nearly very car or lorry I meet gave me a good wave yesterday. It does seem people are that bit more friendly to motorhome drivers. :D

Hi
    just back from our first outing in the motor home, we went to Lough Key .We were just planing to stay the one night but stayed 4 in the end. Lough key was great for the kids and site it's self was ok, could do with a new lair of tarmac in some spots but toilets and showers were clean.
    The drive was great was on everything from motorway to tiny country road's with no problems.
    The only mistakes I made were not locking a outside compartment which I spotted quickly thank god and nearly bashing a mirror of a sign while I was letting a line of traffic pass me.
    Anyone any suggestions for our next trip in June somewhere quiet but with lots for the kids to do. Also anywhere a couple could go that would be safe walking distance to the nearest town or pub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Hi
    just back from our first outing in the motor home, we went to Lough Key .We were just planing to stay the one night but stayed 4 in the end. Lough key was great for the kids and site it's self was ok, could do with a new lair of tarmac in some spots but toilets and showers were clean.
    The drive was great was on everything from motorway to tiny country road's with no problems.
    The only mistakes I made were not locking a outside compartment which I spotted quickly thank god and nearly bashing a mirror of a sign while I was letting a line of traffic pass me.
    Anyone any suggestions for our next trip in June somewhere quiet but with lots for the kids to do. Also anywhere a couple could go that would be safe walking distance to the nearest town or pub.

Rosses point. Beaches hotel pubs takeaway all within walking distance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,189 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Must keep that in mind,I noticed that nearly very car or lorry I meet gave me a good wave yesterday. It does seem people are that bit more friendly to motorhome drivers. :D

You really shouldn't encourage lorry drivers to wave at you. As they already have the phone up to one ear, this will mean they are driving "hands free"!!

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Malta1

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    You really shouldn't encourage lorry drivers to wave at you. As they already have the phone up to one ear, this will mean they are driving "hands free"!!

But I thought "hands free" kits were legal at the moment :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,189 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Hi

watch out for the stupid practice of putting up sign posts on the hard shoulder, as you say, letting traffic past and perhaps watching your mirror too much. There are examples of this on the N3 at both Carnaross and again near Lavey, just past "the bent elbow" pub.

went to Achill a few year ago, stayed at "Lavelles Golden strand" campsite, and it was pretty good. Also a stroll to the pub, and off the beaten track for a lot of people.

Malta1 wrote: »
    But I thought "hands free" kits were legal at the moment :P

Yeah..knees! :pac:

Advertisement