Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

snowboard clothing

Options
  • 22-09-2014 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭

Hey all,

I am looking to buy a snowboarding jacket, pants & helmet. Maybe some other stuff to. Anyone recommend a good site to buy them or where to buy them? Was looking at sports direct and Amazon. Not sure about buying from them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

ugh neither.

First work out your size. Get to Snow and Rock and try stuff on. Next decide on features, brand, colour and how much you want to spend. I've bought most of my kit on ebay but my pants from Snow and Rock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

I've bought a bit of gear from all these places:

Online:
    www.absolute-snow.co.uk
    www.surfdome.com
    www.bluetomato.com
    www.sportspursuit.com

Offline:
    TK Maxx
    53 Degrees North
    North Face shop - Kildare Village
    Tog24 - Kildare Village

I wouldn't recommend SportsDirect, this is what happens:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUo93Hw7LSw#t=198

Amazon is ok if you know what product you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

If it's your first time, skip all the brands and head to Capel Street, you'll get kitted out for €100 or so in the camping shops, excluding helmet. That way if you hate it (which you won't) you won't lose too much money.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,006 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I got stuff in either Lidl or Aldi the last time I went 3 years ago (think Lidl) I cant remember the prices though

Jacket was perfect and I'll be using it again this year.
    Pants - well there was an unfortunate wardrobe malfunction on the slope one of the mornings! I bent down to do my boots up and RRRRIIIPPPP, I tore the pants in the crotch region! As it was just the outer lining I still skiid for the day using safety pins the I got off the first aid guys, but if you will be falling , which you will be, this would not be ideal as you would get wet! I was (and still kinda am) rounder than tall so the pants were probably too long for me to accommodate the waist so they didnt fit the best which is probably why it ripped. Currently have a pair I bought over in France that evening, I've lost some weight since then so they are bit big (and probably were not the best quality to begin with) so I will probably be getting a new pair before I go.

When does the stuff come into TKMax does anyone know?

Also I was looking at SportsDirect, the majority of there stuff is their own brands with massively inflated RRP. See a list of their brands here

So for example these pants were never intended to be sold for £140 ....

There is some branded stuff on there do that might be worth a look

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

I got stuff in either Lidl or Aldi the last time I went 3 years ago (think Lidl) I cant remember the prices though

Jacket was perfect and I'll be using it again this year.
    Pants - well there was an unfortunate wardrobe malfunction on the slope one of the mornings! I bent down to do my boots up and RRRRIIIPPPP, I tore the pants in the crotch region! As it was just the outer lining I still skiid for the day using safety pins the I got off the first aid guys, but if you will be falling , which you will be, this would not be ideal as you would get wet! I was (and still kinda am) rounder than tall so the pants were probably too long for me to accommodate the waist so they didnt fit the best which is probably why it ripped. Currently have a pair I bought over in France that evening, I've lost some weight since then so they are bit big (and probably were not the best quality to begin with) so I will probably be getting a new pair before I go.

When does the stuff come into TKMax does anyone know?

Also I was looking at SportsDirect, the majority of there stuff is their own brands with massively inflated RRP. See a list of their brands here

So for example these pants were never intended to be sold for £140 ....

There is some branded stuff on there do that might be worth a look

Safety pins around the crotch area sounds dangerous :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,006 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Overflow wrote: »
    Safety pins around the crotch area sounds dangerous :D

I wouldn't recommend it for sure, but I wasn't going to miss a days skiing either :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭karl83

stenan wrote: »
    Hey all,

I am looking to buy a snowboarding jacket, pants & helmet. Maybe some other stuff to. Anyone recommend a good site to buy them or where to buy them? Was looking at sports direct and Amazon. Not sure about buying from them.

I've a few old jackets and stuff I'd be willing to sell cheap. What size are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

cormee wrote: »
    If it's your first time, skip all the brands and head to Capel Street, you'll get kitted out for €100 or so in the camping shops, excluding helmet. That way if you hate it (which you won't) you won't lose too much money.

Camping shop for skiing gear ?

Overflow wrote: »
    Camping shop for skiing gear ?

Not great gear but cheapish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Not great gear but cheapish.

It's grand. It will certainly last you the season, but yeah, not great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭stenan

Thanks all for the advice. Going to head to Snow and Rock today and try some stuff on first of all. Think Ill just buy a helmet there as last year it was 50euro to rent one for the week. Was looking on there site and comparing to other sites. They all seem to be of similar prices.

Boots are 40euro to rent this year where Im going (Val Thorens) so Ill see today what they have and what price. Its my second time going so don't want to spend mad money on the gear.

Any idea when lidl sell there ski\snowboard clothing?

Good luck. This kit isn't cheap but nailing down the sizes will make shopping easier.

Try on a helmet with an adjustable fit system. I use a giro surface which has a dial to tighten the fit.

Boots that fit are the most important purchase. I rented for years and always got blisters. In that time though it helped me decide what lacing system I preferred. For my last 4 trips I've been using burton ambush boots.

When you know your sizes you can buy just about anywhere. I get everything online apart from boots. They need to be a good fit and in my opinion heat moulded to your feet in store is best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Id really keep away from the Lidl/Aldi gear.. I bought one of their sets before when i first started snowboarding and had to buy a jacket and pants 3 days into the trip.. Pants were not waterproof and jacket zip broke!

If you don't want to break the bank try TK Maxx.. Quicksilver store in Kildare village sometimes has great options.. Got a pair of trousers there 3 years ago for 55 Euro.. they are brilliant!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

TK Maxx, but be aware of what your buying. I bought a last season jacket for €99 and then saw the current season in resort for €800. Versus Dare2b stuff in TK for 100 and being similar money else where. Ive seen nice Oakley and Spyder stuff as well. Sizes can be a problem if your large or XL you will generally find more stuff. North Face in Kildare Outlet as well is worth a look.

TK often have decent helmets as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

I bought aldi gear for my first hol and i may as well have eaten the money or smoked it. Waste of time...
    Sweated like a mofo in it. Looked sh1te. When it got wet i got soaked and cold and sick

Then i spent 80eur on a 20k waterproof mountain force pants in tk maxx and 79eur on a goretex summit series north face jacket and ive been happy out ever since. I was lucky to find those for that money but its do-able.

Right now in tk maxx theres a musto goretex jacket for 139eur

I suppose id weigh it up on how likely you are to stick it out and get hooked. My friends were into it and are similiar in taste to me so i reckoned there was a high chance of me sticking it out. And i did. 3 hols per year min for the rest of my life lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

If you persistently go to TK Maxx you'll get a bargain, eventually.

Picked up a few 100% merino base layers lasy year for €20 each. Same with good merino socks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Tons of Bonfire (Snowboard specific Brand) currently arriving in TK Maxx

Fattes wrote: »
    Tons of Bonfire (Snowboard specific Brand) currently arriving in TK Maxx

Just about to post similar.. Was in carrickmines yesterday and loads of Quicksilver, oneill, bonfire gear.. Some surfanic gear too..

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭epopnomis

What are peoples opinion of burton AK 3L jackets. I'm thinking of taking the plunge as I've been in the market for a goretex jacket for a good while... They're pricey but are they worth it???

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭G2DG

Did anybody ever get gear in Mountain Warehouse in Blanchardstown. Just saw it had a decent sale on in there at the moment?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

G2DG wrote: »
    Did anybody ever get gear in Mountain Warehouse in Blanchardstown. Just saw it had a decent sale on in there at the moment?

I've only used them for camping gear, good quality stuff at a great price. Good online sale on at the mo.

Don't know much about their jackets/pants but as always look out for waterproofness (I'd advise 5k at minimum), breathability and insulation

TK Maxx in Stephens Green staring to get some good stuff in. Salomon jackets and mid layers, Spyder mid layers, Spyder gloves & hats, Salomon Mission Merino Ski Socks, Oakley Jackets not to mention various other bits and pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

Rew wrote: »
    TK Maxx in Stephens Green staring to get some good stuff in. Salomon jackets and mid layers, Spyder mid layers, Spyder gloves & hats, Salomon Mission Merino Ski Socks, Oakley Jackets not to mention various other bits and pieces.

Guess it's from here on I start trekking up there on lunch breaks.

CardinalJ wrote: »
    Guess it's from here on I start trekking up there on lunch breaks.

Yeah ill probably pop in every couple of days. They added a lot since I was in there last week. I saw good stuff down in the Ilac one a couple of weeks ago as well, might make the trip one of the days for a look.

Sizing was a problem with a lot of that stuff the Spyder gloves for men were all large only. My salopettes are only ok so keeping an eye out for a better option but they are generally the hardest thing to get in there.

Any point getting any of the gear in Lidl on Thursday?

I wouldn't but that's just my opinion. I had a look at their stuff one year but wouldn't buy any of it. It may of improved.

The socks are grand for the price.. I have a few of them..

Might get the socks so, what about the goggles, hats and gloves, are they any good?

Would be best to go have a look. Hats you can't go wrong. Helmet might be ok too. If the gloves suck just buy a pair in the resort. With goggles it's all about the lens. They could be crap. Good goggles cost.

• Advertisement
Advertisement