Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CCTV System for Home

Options
  • 26-10-2014 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭

I am starting to look at getting a Home Security CCTV wireless system for the house. It is a system that will have at least 2 cameras with the ability to add more cameras at a later date. The one thing I can't get my head around is the claims these systems make for 24/7 recording. The reason I am sceptical is, when I am recording any programs off the net using a PVR, a 500GB disc is eaten up in no time with only a few episodes. How then can I get 24/7 recording from these systems, is their compression really that good and what is the quality of the recordings like, there is no point in having hours and hours of recording if it's not viewable. I just want to be able to view any intrusions onto my property when I am not there. As I am new to this any recommendations would be appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Recording times are achieved with compression , frame rates & motion detection.
    Do you have a budget in mind. Its a massive market that is now flooded with cheap cameras & recorders.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

My budget is around the 200 euro mark, could go another €50 but that would be about it. You are bang on about it being a massive market so for me it's hard to sift out the toys from the proper systems. Would appreciate any pointers you could give me, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

My budget is around the 200 euro mark, could go another €50 but that would be about it. You are bang on about it being a massive market so for me it's hard to sift out the toys from the proper systems. Would appreciate any pointers you could give me, thanks.

You're really scrapping the end of the barrel with that budget. You'd be better off saving up some more cash and getting something half decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NSAman

D Link from Harvey Norman? 79.99 per camera...

Personally bought a system from Logitech a few years ago that is wired through the electrical circuit in the house. Was 249 dollars and 200 for additional cameras.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

As I said before. When it comes to CCTV you get what you pay for. €250 is not going to get you anything worth talking about. You put up a few cameras & they look nice in perfect conditions, but playback and quality will be rubbish.
    Worts worse is when something happens you will see the scumbag(s) doing it but you won't have decent enough footage to do anything about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Is the point of the system to silently record intruders, or to prevent intrusions?
    If the latter some flood lights and one or two strategic cameras might be the ticket.
    Is this for the grounds only or also inside the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭durtybit

I have 2 cameras (3mp) €130 for both with an NVR €35 attached to a 750gb €35 (Second hand) hard drive

Recording is set on movement so as not to fill the drive with nothing.

Picture quality is excellent, night vision is good but some extra sensor lights wouldn't go a miss (bought 2 sensor lights in Lidl for €12 each) yet to be put up.

Does the trick for me.

Advertisement