Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Door contact to activate light for garage

Options
  • 25-10-2014 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭

I have a garage which is about 30m from my kitchen window and I'm forever leaving the garage door open (PVC door) The garage door is not facing the house so iI can't simply look out and see if the door is open or closed.

I'd like a contact on the door connected to an LED light in the window which would stay on when the door is left open, in that way, I can glance out the kitchen window in the house and see the light on, and know that I left the door open.

I think this light would be ideal;
    http://www.eterna-lighting.co.uk/productinfo.asp?product=LEDEM3M

its only 2.6w and if I leave off the stickers, its a plain white light.

Any suggestions on this idea?

What would I use for a door contact and how would it turn on the light? (I'm not an alarm installer so not familiar with how this part would work)

Thanks !!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Are you talking about a light coming on in the garage when the garage door is open?

Do you have an alarm system in your home? And if so, what type.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

Lots of ways to do it, here's one which saves a lot of hassle as it involves no cable between the garage and "the indicator"

Door switch:

http://www.thesmartshop.co.uk/lightwaverf/store/home-automation-controls/magnetic-switch-or-magnetic-sensor

Receiver:

Connect anything you like to this, e.g. led light

http://www.thesmartshop.co.uk/lightwaverf/store/home-automation-electric-plugs/inline-relays-switch-500w-

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭touchdown77

Are you talking about a light coming on in the garage when the garage door is open?

Do you have an alarm system in your home? And if so, what type.

Yes, thats it

Yes will be getting a HKC alarm installed shortly

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

You could do it any number of ways using HKC smart lights & relays etc.
    If your upgrading the alarm anyway I would recommend view?usp=sharingrange here.

Wiring options would be the same or you could use X10 as well.
    But SPC would give you much more control where you could use cause and effect from any alarm or zone event to switch the light. You could also use timers and calendars etc. If you were using the app or remote browser you could also control via that as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Probably the cheapest way of doing it would be to install a door frame switch into the door frame. When the door is opened it turns on the light and when shut it turns it off.

Do a search on amazon.co.uk for 'door frame light switch' and you'll see loads of them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement