Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Be careful what you wish for ...

Options
  • 21-02-2015 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭

Allways wanted a nice side by side and at the end of last season I got the oppertunity to purchase a beautiful Aya No 2.
    Its georgous and came in a beautiful Brooks hand made leather case.
    I used it this season and God help me I shot nothing with it, I could not get used to the second trigger, & finished off the season by using my o/u.
    The thing is now do I persavere with the Aya or look for a nice sbs with a single trigger.
    Giving serious consideration to move it on .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

Allways wanted a nice side by side and at the end of last season I got the oppertunity to purchase a beautiful Aya No 2.
    I used it this season and God help me I shot nothing with it, I could not get used to the second trigger, & finished off the season by using my o/u.
    The thing is now do I persavere with the Aya or look for a nice sbs with a single trigger.

my mate bought a no.2 round action last year could not get used to 2nd trigger,now in mcbrides athlone for him to sell, a beautiful gun though,pity. if it was me i would persevere, it is only a matter of getting used to it,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭LIFFY FISHING

I actually love it, its a piece of art as a fierarm, I never saw a nicer sbs than an Aya 2, but how do you get used to it ?, if I keep missing shots ,I just wont take it out & a gun like that deserves to be used.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Maybe you just need to get used to the gun.
    Brother uses an AYA No. 1 and I can not use it at all.
    Have you tried firing at a few clays with your one ?
    I would have thought the "second trigger" issue should be easily sorted. Again, firing at a few "double clays" (e.g. cock and hen or "springing teal") will get you going I would say .

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

Vizzy wrote: »
    Maybe you just need to get used to the gun.
    Brother uses an AYA No. 1 and I can not use it at all.
    Have you tried firing at a few clays with your one ?
    I would have thought the "second trigger" issue should be easily sorted. Again, firing at a few "double clays" (e.g. cock and hen or "springing teal") will get you going I would say .

Best of luck.
    true

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭allan450

you will get used to it.clays will sort it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Rosahane

I'd guess you never used a double trigger before.

I grew up using them and the first couple of times I started clay shooting with an OU kept looking for the second trigger - it's a muscle memory type thing.

As people said, get out and shoot clays and you will be sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭hathcock

You should give serious consideration to moving on the o/u instead,stick with your aya,the original game gun design,never bettered,I've shot with a no.2 for many years,wouldn't swap it for what o/u guns there are in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,943 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

hathcock wrote: »
    You should give serious consideration to moving on the o/u instead,stick with your aya,the original game gun design,never bettered,I've shot with a no.2 for many years,wouldn't swap it for what o/u guns there are in Ireland.

You might want to check the stock too.It might have been customised to some owners specs and it can have a slight cast to the right or left and that can be be enough to throw you too.
    Had that happen to me at a clay comp.A friend wanred to buy a browning o/u and asked me to test drive itit.Couldnt hit nothing with it until I niticed it had a right hand cast.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭J.R.

Lovely gun - I would persevere now during the off season at clays, pigeons & crows ....less pressure.

As it's not your first gun I'm sure you've tried it for fit, cast etc. and it's just the second trigger movement that's causing difficulty.

Why not dry mount it at home in the evenings...pair of snap-caps - imaginary first shot with finger on first trigger and then move finger back to second trigger. Practice, practice & practice should make the movement an instinct.

I usually use a semi-auto...........I find when I take the O/U out that for the first few shots I'm reaching to switch off safety beside trigger guard. It's all a matter of having the movement imprinted without even thinking about it.

On a side note:
    The first gun I used was a double trigger side by side. It was old and shabby but a great gun & I loved it but the fashion at the time was single trigger O/U so I moved to them.

I always wondered with the double triggers.......they suited me perfectly as I'm left handed and the gun was right handed but when I fired the first barrel my finger was able to slide back to fire the second effortlessly.....a smooth, effortless movement that felt natural.

If you are right handed on a s/s - after you fire the first shot you must take your finger out of the trigger - slide it back - put it in to fire second trigger. I always though the trigger configuration should be the other way around to suit right handed shooters.

I'm sure there's a logical explanation.

s%20by%20s_zpsbtbj3d1s.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Get snap caps and learn to strike both triggers in sequence with the very tip of your trigger finger and train that move untill it's muscle memory. It should become no harder than releasing and pulling for the following shot with an o/u or semi. Learned to shoot with s/s so to me two triggers is kind of the default on a shotgun but it's easy enough to get used to.

• Advertisement
Advertisement