Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hip replacement

Options
  • 10-02-2010 5:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

I had a Birmingham Hip replacement 10 weeks ago today. I am still in a lot of pain and require the assistance of crutches . Somedays i can get by with just the one but to be comfortable i need the two of them. Anyone out there with similar experience ...... Or am i in trouble ..... love to hear the good and the bad news ....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

My mum had two hips replaced with a few months interval. I shared her care with my Dad.

She used a stick rather than crutches. Something to do with learning to walk and a fall can break your arm on a fall.

After 10 weeks she was reasonably mobile but she had discomfort and as she had left it a while she had difficulty getting her muscles going again. That said a cousin broke his new hip driving a tractor.

You should be getting a lot of physiotherapy so should ask the physio but if you are concerned contact your GP as they are best placed to tell you what is what. Phone them in the morning.They will tell you if your progress is adequete given the state you were in going in.

My mother had an aversion to physiotherapy so her progress was slow but once she got over this her hips worked and she walks without sticks. It takes effort and you get out of it what you put into it.

If you are in obvious pain or you feel you damaged your hip go to A & E.

Anyway no-one can tell you what is normal over the internet and your GP is your first call.

Oh and its 5 years on and she has been mobile since - they are fantastic and really improved her quality of life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Guy in work had a hip replacement 2 years ago at 50. He was back in work within 4 weeks (which he was advised against) and back to his normal self by week 8(ish). Medicine's a funny, unpredictable thing.

Talk to a doc if you're still in pain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Hipman

Thanks for above . going to a friend who is a Physio in the morning to get a second opinion and hopefully pin point the exact problem so that when i go back to meet the surgeon i will be able to discuss it in more detail.
    Coming up to 12 weeks now and still a lot of pain.............:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Kelly Maisie

Hi,

Just came across this thread, looking for a bit of feedback.

i was told a couple of weeks back I need a hip replacement, severe arthritis in my hip. I am 29.

Hipman, any words of advice? How are you now?

Went to the a private consultant and I was told I could leave it for 10-15 years, or go get it done now.

What sort of recovery time did you have?

Any advice or feedback at all would be much appreciated

Many thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Hipman

Hi
    its now been almost ten months since i had operation. I have no pains whatsoever in the right Hip however i did have a lot of pain for longer than most of teh people that i met who had it done. The reason for this ( I am told) is that i had to have a lot of reconstruction done on the asetablum.
    The operation is definetly worth it.
    My second hip is at me now , My opinion would be to last out as long as you can before getting it done but the relief from teh pain is worth it eventually

sorry i cant be of any more assistance
    best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Kelly Maisie

Hi Hipman,

Many thanks for your reply, thats something I am uncertain of, I thought it was just the head of the femur that gets replaced, definately need to do some more research on my requirements.

I am in pain now, and getting worse. The advice the consultant gave was the sooner you get it done, the sooner you have better quality of life.

Hope it all continues to go well,

thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 frinomax

Hipman wrote: »
    Hi
    its now been almost ten months since i had operation. I have no pains whatsoever in the right Hip however i did have a lot of pain for longer than most of teh people that i met who had it done. The reason for this ( I am told) is that i had to have a lot of reconstruction done on the asetablum.
    The operation is definetly worth it.
    My second hip is at me now , My opinion would be to last out as long as you can before getting it done but the relief from teh pain is worth it eventually

sorry i cant be of any more assistance
    best of luck
    Hello!

How is your hip after 10 years? Did you have metallosis issues?

Thanks,
    Max

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

With 6 post in 11 years, I doubt the OP is coming back.

Advertisement