Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Galaxy S3 Glass Replacement

• 23-01-2015 2:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys
    I have an S3 (GT-I9300) with a crack in the glass - the touch functioning and LCD are 100% perfect - Anyway i was wondering if anyone could advise on a price for replacement of the glass - I have seen that i can get a replacement glass including tools and adhesive for less than 8 euro on Ebay, and i have fixed various laptops and computers for years - I guess i just wanted to see how much it should/would cost to get it done by someone experienced. The removal of the old glass looks tricky

If its prohibitively expensive id be tempted to just use it as is because its barely noticeable, and works perfect! Thanks in advance folks!

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

It's almost impossible to find someone in Ireland who will replace just the glass. It requires lots of effort compared to simply replacing the whole display assembly. You could give it a try yourself but you could ruin the display altogether if not careful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭smokin ace

liamtech wrote: »
    Hey Guys
    I have an S3 (GT-I9300) with a crack in the glass - the touch functioning and LCD are 100% perfect - Anyway i was wondering if anyone could advise on a price for replacement of the glass - I have seen that i can get a replacement glass including tools and adhesive for less than 8 euro on Ebay, and i have fixed various laptops and computers for years - I guess i just wanted to see how much it should/would cost to get it done by someone experienced. The removal of the old glass looks tricky

If its prohibitively expensive id be tempted to just use it as is because its barely noticeable, and works perfect! Thanks in advance folks!

i have done a good few galaxy s3 and s4 but its quite tricky to get the glass off without breaking the lcd but the s3 is a bit easier than the s4 but it can be done yourself get 5 or 6 thin guitar picks and a hair drier DONT use a heat gun because it gets to hot and you will scorch the lcd also you will need uv loca glue and a uv light to set the glue to bond the glass back here is a video but its very doable if you take your time and not rush it if you follow this video it should help you a lot but DONT use a heat gun to heat the screen https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANL9MgegXKk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭spongerobinson

I used a heat gun, and it worked absolutely fine...just gotta be careful to only apply a little heat at a time.

I found getting the broken glass off to be the easiest part. Applying the glue evenly was most difficult for me. I had to remove the glass again first time round, as there were bubbles.

Also, the glue gets everywhere inside the phone if you use too much! The good thing is that it takes ages to dry without a proper UV light, so gives you time to clean it up! My proximity sensor and front camera both got some in, but a good clean sorted it.

I would definitely say its not a repair for the faint hearted. My reasoning for trying was that if it didn't work or I damaged the LCD further, I could just replace the whole screen unit then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ColdCotton

smokin ace wrote:
    i have done a good few galaxy s3 and s4 but its quite tricky to get the glass off without breaking the lcd but the s3 is a bit easier than the s4 but it can be done yourself get 5 or 6 thin guitar picks and a hair drier DONT use a heat gun because it gets to hot and you will scorch the lcd also you will need uv loca glue and a uv light to set the glue to bond the glass back here is a video but its very doable if you take your time and not rush it if you follow this video it should help you a lot but DONT use a heat gun to heat the screen

Do you recommend any particular website for getting the replacement parts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭liamtech

Thanks for all the responses - im thinking of doing it myself - and il let you know how i get on! thanks again

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Advertisement

the chinese-run phone accessory shops in dublin city centre, e.g. one on dame st, will replace it for 30 euro if you bring your own screen replacement. can get plastic screens on amazon for £5

e.g.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00AASEGH0?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

plastic not as good as glass but seems to be hard to find glass ones.

pretty good reviews on above item.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 81 ✭✭jay2k6ie

Glass replacement on Galaxy S3 is not a recommended practice. Original Samsung replacement parts only come as one piece that is that the glass and the LCD are one component.

Most replacement parts on ebay etc are cheap knock offs. I've seen many expensive phones ruined by people trying to replace 'just the glass' so be very careful!

jay2k6ie wrote: »
    Glass replacement on Galaxy S3 is not a recommended practice. Original Samsung replacement parts only come as one piece that is that the glass and the LCD are one component.

Most replacement parts on ebay etc are cheap knock offs. I've seen many expensive phones ruined by people trying to replace 'just the glass' so be very careful!

many people have done it. glass with the lcd is too expensive to bother with on a now old phone like the s3.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 81 ✭✭jay2k6ie

glasso wrote: »
    many people have done it. glass with the lcd is too expensive to bother with on a now old phone like the s3.

I know but the glass replacement is really not recommended without the right machine. Its a very messy job and fails/causes bigger problems more often than not.

Advertisement