Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

First Car

Options
  • 06-04-2015 12:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 19

I'm turning 18 next month and i'm finally able to buy my first car . I've been working over the past couple of months in a part-time job and have got a budget of around €6,400.
    I'm a big fan of cars so I've obliviously went looking at classic minis or mk1 golfs etc.
    But I've narrowed it done to

Mk1 Golf

Austin Mini and

New type fiat 500 twin-air

If any one owns one of these could you tell me what there like to drive etc .
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

thatMck wrote: »
    I'm turning 18 next month and i'm finally able to buy my first car . I've been working over the past couple of months in a part-time job and have got a budget of around €6,400.
    I'm a big fan of cars so I've obliviously went looking at classic minis or mk1 golfs etc.
    But I've narrowed it done to

Mk1 Golf

Austin Mini and

New type fiat 500 twin-air

If any one owns one of these could you tell me what there like to drive etc .

Not a hope getting insurance as a learner or new driver on a Mk1 Golf, possibly the mini depending on age but you'd have a decent quote on a 500 I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Does the €6400 include insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 thatMck

@colm_mcm If i was going to include insurance i'd say another 1000€ on the 6400€

I'd ring some insurance companies, you might want to be sitting down when you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,144 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You are very optimistic in only allowing €1k for insurance on anything at your age, not to mention the cars you listed. And the cheapest Fiat 500 Twin Air on carzone is asking €10k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

You drive a Fiat 500 around here and you'd get beaten up for it. A car like that would knock a couple of inches off your penis.

If you live on a farm put your occupation as farm labourer. Will knock a bit off your premium. Starting out go for something boring like a Kia Rio/Ceed etc they're awful cars to be fair but normally a lot cheaper to insure.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,144 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Chris___ wrote: »
    You drive a Fiat 500 around here and you'd get beaten up for it. A car like that would knock a couple of inches off your penis.

If you live on a farm put your occupation as farm labourer. Will knock a bit off your premium. Starting out go for something boring like a Kia Rio/Ceed etc they're awful cars to be fair but normally a lot cheaper to insure.

Maybe if one was insecure enough about their sexuality/image or actually gave a toss about what other people think.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 thatMck

@Bazz26 that 1000€ isn't only for the insurance i'd include the remainder of what i spent on the car

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

For a first time driver, I think a more modern car might suit better while you learn the ropes. Old golfs and minis are cool, but you're talking about designs between 30 and 60 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

bazz26 wrote: »
    Maybe if one was insecure enough about their sexuality/image or actually gave a toss about what other people think.

Still going to get laughed at.

Smart fortwo
    Ford KA
    Fiat 500
    Citroen C1
    Fiat Seicento
    Fiat Cinquecento
    Daihatsu Sirion
    Kia Picanto
    Hyundai i10
    Suzuki Swift

These are just a number of small cars that have no street cred and are uncool to drive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

I think the 500 is a class car, would love an Abarth one at some stage!

Ditto a seicento, an Abarth/sporting/schumacher would be a class first car for under €1500. There is the while safety thing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Fiat 500 would be good choice. But they are expensive. Good safety record too. Not sure I like the idea of an 18 year driving an ancient car with zero safety spec. Especially if it were one of my family.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭9935452

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I'd ring some insurance companies, you might want to be sitting down when you do.
    definately agree here, ring companys/brokers , get online quotes .
    I cant see you getting insurance in your own name at 18 for a grand.
    Insurance quotes have gone up a lot in the last 6 months.
    A possible problem is when the cars get older the insurance goes up more, especially when they go over 20 years old

Advertisement