Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Closing down a house for a few months

Options
  • 02-11-2014 3:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Cerco

If you will be away over the winter have you considered the effects of cold and damp, even freezing pipes?
    If you do not want to keep some level of heating on then I think you would need to drain your tanks and heating system ( if you are using rads). That's just my opinion.
    Let your insurance know , house will be unoccupied. I think this is necessary if more than 30 consecutive days. Check your policy.
    Have your post rerouted or collected regularly.
    Opt for electronic billing on utilities and bank statements to reduce post and keep up to date.
    If you have someone to check periodically that would be a big advantage.

I would not turn off power. I would use timers on some lights to deter would be intruders. You could also fit ultrasonic devices to deter vermin.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,774 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Very good advice. If you are only going to be away for a few months, I would certainly leave electricity turned on and set up the boiler so that it will start in cold conditions.

You could stuff your water meter box with fiber glass or similar to insulate it, I suppose. Make sure it is airtight.

Advertisement