Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shower pump

Options
  • 24-10-2014 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Doing a DIY en suite make over. I just need some advice on the best way to plumb in the shower pump, and what bar rating to use and what make.
    This is in a two story house with the en suite,hot water tank upstairs and the cold water storage tank in the attic.(there is currently no shower pump) there is also a bathroom on the same feed. At the moment the en suite is feed by hot and cold 3/4 pipes that T not off to 1/2 to the toilet, sink and shower(not electric)

Q1. Is there any problem giving pump pressure to the full bathroom (toilet,sink,shower)

Q2. What make of pump (value for money, reliability)

Q3. The shower will be a multi jet with 10 body jets, rain shower head plus a detachable shower hose. how many bar would be needed.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 GreenwayM

Get a plumber . . .

A neighbour of mine got a DIY job done on an Electrical Shower install . . .

It nearly scalded her elderly special needs sister who was in it when something happened with the pressure . . .

She was told that the pressure dropped which meant the temp went up . . .

Be very careful . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

JABKELL wrote: »
    Q1. Is there any problem giving pump pressure to the full bathroom (toilet,sink,shower)

Short answer, No.
    Q2. What make of pump (value for money, reliability)

Stuart Turner Brass Bodied Position Head Pump.
    Q3. The shower will be a multi jet with 10 body jets, rain shower head plus a detachable shower hose. how many bar would be needed.

A Minimum of 3 Bar, anything less will be a waste of time and money.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 JABKELL

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Short answer, No.

Could the toilet cause premature wear of the pump due to extra pressure as the valve closes ?

Would a 3 Bar pump be noisy ? as I plan to put this in the hot-press beside the hot water tank. ?

Thanks.

Short answer, No.

Could the toilet cause premature wear of the pump due to extra pressure as the valve closes ?

Would a 3 Bar pump be noisy ? as I plan to put this in the hot-press beside the hot water tank. ?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

I would recommend that the cistern filling valves are upgraded.

It depends on your definition of Loud. But a 3 bar brass bodied pump will not be any louder than the same type in 1.5 or 2.0 bar.
    All pumps create a level of noise. Well positioned and plumbed pumps tend to be less noisy.

• Advertisement

I would recommend that the cistern filling valves are upgraded.

It depends on your definition of Loud. But a 3 bar brass bodied pump will not be any louder than the same type in 1.5 or 2.0 bar.
    All pumps create a level of noise. Well positioned and plumbed pumps tend to be less noisy.

Ok, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Mr infomaniac

I have my bathroom plumbed off shower pump. I have switch to turn on the pump and only turn it on when having a bath or shower. This works fine for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,908 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I have my bathroom plumbed off shower pump. I have switch to turn on the pump and only turn it on when having a bath or shower. This works fine for me.

A lot of people use this switch. If someone flushes the toilet at 4am you'd hear the pump otherwise.
    If at all possible I'd always recommend not including the toilet on the pump.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

We have a red 1.5bar Grundfos pump with rubber shoes connected to the pipe work with the flexible hoses. 'Twas still a loud little bugger. Followed a Tip whereby one gets two spare ceramic wall tiles, runs a bead of flexible silicone around the underside of each tile and places one on top of the other with some matches as shims between floor and tile and tile and tile. When the silicone has set the matches are removed. This isolates the vibration of the pump from the floor better than the rubber pump feet alone and converts the vibrational energy of the pump to heat in the tiles as opposed to vibration in the floor and joists. Worked a treat and now barely hear the pump unless standing beside the cupboard door. After someone's been in the bathroom for a while doing the 3 S's and the pumps been going good'o, the tiles under the pump do be quite warm to the touch.

Thanks for the idea, I have now plumbed the bathroom so the pump will only feed the shower.

• Advertisement

Calibos wrote: »
    We have a red 1.5bar Grundfos pump with rubber shoes connected to the pipe work with the flexible hoses. 'Twas still a loud little bugger. Followed a Tip whereby one gets two spare ceramic wall tiles, runs a bead of flexible silicone around the underside of each tile and places one on top of the other with some matches as shims between floor and tile and tile and tile. When the silicone has set the matches are removed. This isolates the vibration of the pump from the floor better than the rubber pump feet alone and converts the vibrational energy of the pump to heat in the tiles as opposed to vibration in the floor and joists. Worked a treat and now barely hear the pump unless standing beside the cupboard door. After someone's been in the bathroom for a while doing the 3 S's and the pumps been going good'o, the tiles under the pump do be quite warm to the touch.

Sounds good, I might use this when installing the pump.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Sounds good, I might use this when installing the pump.
    Thanks.

I was space limited so used wall tiles. The bigger and higher mass though the better. ie. thicker floor tiles would be better and paving slabs even better again.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Laodach

I recommend a Kikawa Whisper-Flow booster pump.
    It's the dogs b*******s
    Inexpensive, quiet, reliable and works!
    I fitted one in my own house recently and it is brilliant.

Advertisement