Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Berlin

• 01-04-2014 8:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭

Any opinions on the different areas in Berlin - we are heading over for a few days in July. I was there a few years ago and stayed just off Kurfurstendamm strasse - i travelled with my mom that time so we were doing shopping etc.

This time i am travelling with my boyfriend - we would like to stay in an interesting neighbourhood rather than the main shopping areas but somewhere that allows us easy access to all parts of the city via public transport. I have done a little research but would like opinions from here!

Max per night for accommodation would be 80e - as location dictates accommodation price!

Any advice or opinions or general Berlin tips would be really appreciated - even down to cafe/hotel/restaurant suggestions.

Danke!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

Well, you'd probably want to stay in Prenzlauer Berg, then. The U-Bahn and S-Bahn nearby via Schoenhauser Allee or Eberswalder Strasse of Rosa Luxembourg Platz means good links. Alternatively, central in Mitte on the formerly Western side in the area behind Hackeshermarkt/Museuminsel where you'd be finding boutiques and art galleries.

There are other great areas, but these seem most suitable. Berlin is a good town. We're probably going there again for summer holidays. That'll be my sixth time in ten years, or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Listen to the podcast of The Right Hook Travel Section on Newstalk from tonight. They raved about Berlin

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

If you want to do something a bit different, look up Potsdam, it's about 20 minutes outside of Berlin and a really interesting place.
    The S-Bahn from Potsdam goes to the Zoo station and then even more central to Ostbahnohf and maybe Alexnderplatz. So you can get to central Berlin fairly easily from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭grimm2005

I stayed in Mitte a few months back, grand area, close to both S and U bahn stations, and also within walking distance to a lot of the main sights.

For a very different, unique dining experience you could check out unsicht-bar. It's a "dine in the dark" experience so you order off a menu in the lobby but they don't tell you what you're getting apart from a basic chicken, beef, fish, veggie or you can opt for the "mystery choice" menu where you don't even have an idea of what you're going to get. A blind waiter walks you to your table in a pitch black room, and I mean completely black, you can't even see your hand right in front of your face. It's quite nerve wrecking at first and you feel very awkward but you settle in after some time and get used to it.

It's quite expensive and the food isn't amazing tbh but it's worth it just for the experience. You get 3 courses and it lasts about 2 - 3 hours overall, booking is essential. Here's the link if you're interested: http://www.unsicht-bar-berlin.de/en/html/home_1.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

Second vote for the Hackescher Markt area here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

If you want to do something a bit different, look up Potsdam, it's about 20 minutes outside of Berlin and a really interesting place.
    The S-Bahn from Potsdam goes to the Zoo station and then even more central to Ostbahnohf and maybe Alexnderplatz. So you can get to central Berlin fairly easily from there.

+1 for Potsdam. This is zone 3 on public transport, so if you have a city ticket for a few days you need a zone supplement or you can buy a multi day ticket including zone 3.

Loads to see in Berlin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

I cant wait to get back there - it stole my heart when i was there originally. I cant believe it has taken me so long to get back there.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions so far - i really appreciate them! Keep them coming. I am so excited to book this trip and show my boyfriend a city i love...and hopefully soak up some city heat/sun (Hoping to go in July)

Well, there's always walks/cycles along the Spree river and canals in Mitte/Kreutzberg, then ... A good way to see the city.

My favourite thing always has been drinking beer in parks, swimming in the lakes and going to gigs in squats. Apart from all the very legitimate art and culture and whatnot.

Might try to make it to Potsdam next time alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Don't want to hijack the thread but I'm also interested in any hints or tips for a 5 day break in Berlin, never holidayed outside Ireland really so struggling to figure out where and what is best in Berlin

Red tourist bus gives you a good orientation in the 'centre' and access to the main sights.

• Advertisement

Don't want to hijack the thread but I'm also interested in any hints or tips for a 5 day break in Berlin, never holidayed outside Ireland really so struggling to figure out where and what is best in Berlin

I had a 4 day/5 night break there last November, wrote up a big enough report here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=87626673&postcount=27

Might help you with ideas, and feel free to ask about anything mentioned. There was loads we didn't do as well, you won't have any problems for lack of stuff to do.

Also, good choice for first holiday abroad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,873 ✭✭✭RayCon

We stayed in the Adina Apartments near Checkpoint Charlie in June 2013 for 3 nights. Lovely place to stay, great area, plenty of public transport options (U Bahn etc) right on your doorstep - as well as plenty of history !! Checkpoint Charlie is around the corner.

We booked months in advance via Trivago and got it for 90euro per night - absolutely worth every cent.

http://www.tripadvisor.ie/Hotel_Review-g187323-d781064-Reviews-Adina_Apartment_Hotel_Berlin_Checkpoint_Charlie-Berlin.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

RayCon wrote: »
    We stayed in the Adina Apartments near Checkpoint Charlie in June 2013 for 3 nights. Lovely place to stay, great area, plenty of public transport options (U Bahn etc) right on your doorstep - as well as plenty of history !! Checkpoint Charlie is around the corner.

We booked months in advance via Trivago and got it for 90euro per night - absolutely worth every cent.

http://www.tripadvisor.ie/Hotel_Review-g187323-d781064-Reviews-Adina_Apartment_Hotel_Berlin_Checkpoint_Charlie-Berlin.html

Looks like a good hotel but whats the local area like? Is there restaurants, shops, bars within 5 - 10 min walking distance or would you have to use public transport to get to things like that?

Also is there Wi-Fi available in the hotel? I do a lot of my planning on holidays by looking up attractions and restaurants while I'm there but have read that Wi-Fi is a problem at the Adina hotels in Berlin.

You'll get wi-fi in most cafés anyway if it's a problem in a hotel.

Grimm did a few good things. Potsdamerplatz isn't, if you ask me, worth sticking around. The Jewish Museum is, I think, well worth a visit. The Stasi Museum is also really worth it. Topography of terror is amazing, but I saw it when it was an open-air exhibition (they hadn't the money for it at the time). This is a site where multiple periods of bad sh1t went down. If you get there (and this is pointed out on the red bus), the former Nazi Aviation ministry is opposite, and this is now used as a finance ministry - the friezes on the walls depict the glory of the Luftwaffe.

I find old West Berlin around Kurfurstendamm really unpleasant and ugly. Stick with the east, except parts of Kreutzberg.

Do eat currywurst (especially the imbiss below the Eberswalderstrasse U-Bahn station) and do eat a doner kebab (they were invented in Berlin and are never the same anywhere else).

And, I've said before, sit out and drink beer in a park. Hell, grab a beer and walk around with it. It's not illegal!

I'm sure I'll think of more.

Well we didn't spend a huge amount of time in Potsdamer platz but it was on our route on our way to our final planned "attraction" of the day and it nicely filled in the time before the Reichstag. Forgot to mention we also went to the Jewish memorial and (of course) passed the Brandenburg gate. If you want to do the Reichstag (there are a few different tours and they are all free) make sure you book well in advance of your trip as it fills up quickly.

Heard fantastic things about the Stasi prison also and was planning to do it but unfortunately tours were pretty limited while we were there and there weren't any on any of the days we were staying, should be a lot more during summer though.

Can't say I was a fan of currywurst at all but of course you need to try it while in Germany :p Funny you mention the kebabs though, I was always wondering why there were so many kebab places there and just recently I was in a hostel in Warsaw and I asked a guy from Hamburg and he explained they were invented by two Turkish guys in Berlin! Having said that though, I found they tasted the exact same in Krakow, Warsaw and Berlin (but different from over here, certainly!) and they are amazing every time haha.

Ah, currywurst is grand, and it's really a Berlin thing, but I'd rather go for a bratwurst in the place in Mauerpark. :)

There's also the old Tempelhof airport. Its grounds are now a park until they figure out what to do with it. The terminal itself was designed and built by the Nazis and is still one of the longest buildings in the world (excluding the Nazi recreation centre in Ruegen).

The Treptower Park Soviet War Memorial is also interesting. It's ostentatious but in a sense equally as powerful as Lutyens' WWI war memorials in England and Belgium commemorating as it does those Red Army soldiers who died in the Battle of Berlin. It's also the resting place of 5,000 of those soldiers.

Another amazing Berlin sight is the Museum Island, whose Pergamon Museum is home to the Greek Pergamon Altar and also a reconstruction of one of the original gates of Babylon (with many original tiles), if you're into that sort of things. The Altes Museum is also amazing and the Neue National Gallerie, all beside each other.

Ah! Currywurst - my family eat it in buckets whenever we go to Germany...but Ich bin ein vegetarierin!

I cant decide where to stay - whether to say in Mitte and travel to everywhere from there or to base us in either east Charlottenburg or nearer to Potzdam Platz/near Savingyplatz - which means we can still travel to all the things we want/other neighbourhoods yet come back to a nicer area in the evening and also have more accommodation options.

Anyone care to share their opinions? I always have this debate with myself when booking accommodation in a large city.

It depends on what you're going for I suppose. Personally I always try to stay as central as possible when going to a big city. You're close to all the action so to speak and you don't really need to rely on public transport to get to the main attractions (or they are pretty close by on the metro at worst). The other point is if you are out late on the beers and trains have stopped getting home is a breeze, you can either walk it or get a cheap enough taxi (I never even bother trying to work out night buses, especially after a few drinks).

I stayed out in the suburbs once when I was in Chicago because it was a fairly cheap full apartment for 3 of us and it was on a 24hour subway line but even that got annoying, having to get a 20 minute train to the centre every day and you couldn't pop back to the apartment if you wanted to grab something or throw something back without wasting 40 minutes.

That's just my view though, I guess it's different if you're going with a few mates versus maybe going with a family or a partner and you might want somewhere quieter.

Well, I dunno, we're probably bringing the baba on his first holiday to Berlin and we'll be staying in Friedrichshain, but, then, we'd be mostly spending our time in F.hain, Pl.berg and K.berg, but also definitely going into Mitte and wandering. I don't find Mitte all THAT fun. Maybe we'll take a look at Charlottenburg this time, but I'm not that pushed from what I saw last time.

It's Berlin, there isn't really a 'centre'. Hmm, speaking of which, do try to get up the Ferhensehturm for a view of the city.

Mitte wont really interest us but we will go there to walk around - a simple pleasure of mine when staying in a big city is to walk from the "centre" to where i am staying after a days adventures and it allows me to see different areas - so im thinking P.dam will be good for that?

I hate this decision making - my boyfriend NEVER helps with accommodation booking. I understand its a pain to get a taxi back from the main nightlife spots but to be honest a local bar/pub in the area where we are staying will be more our thing. I also enjoy the perils of getting used to a new public transport system so...on the basis of that SOMEONE PICK WHERE I LOOK FOR ACCOMMODATION before i scream a little scream!

• Advertisement

P.dam = Potsdamerplatz?

sarkozy wrote: »
    P.dam = Potsdamerplatz?

Yes.

This also looks like a good location : http://www.plazahotel.de/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

My partner was there with his friends a few months ago and they got a pretty sweet place using air bnb.

Yeah, I'd tend to go the apartment route myself, too. This time, we're kicking a friend out of his flat for cheap accomodation :), but previously, one time, we stayed in a flat and it was great. And now, with a kid, it's definitely the way to go. More relaxed, I think. But that's only if spending more than 3 days, I reckon.

I don't like Potsdamer Platz at all, but I guess it's good for transport and the 'centre' (which is a misnomer in Berlin) is walkable at least (i.e. Brandenburg Gate, Unter Den Linden, Fehrensehturm, etc.

Yeah, I'd tend to go the apartment route myself, too. This time, we're kicking a friend out of his flat for cheap accomodation :), but previously, one time, we stayed in a flat and it was great. And now, with a kid, it's definitely the way to go. More relaxed, I think. But that's only if spending more than 3 days, I reckon.

I don't like Potsdamer Platz at all, but I guess it's good for transport and the 'centre' (which is a misnomer in Berlin) is walkable at least (i.e. Brandenburg Gate, Unter Den Linden, Fehrensehturm, etc.

We did Air BnB for london last year and it worked out great actually! I might go that route for Berlin once i pick a location (grrr!). Boyfriend is a HUGE fan of hotel breakfasts and i do agree - there is something nice about having food laid out for you on holidays. The Germans always have Nutella at the buffets too...

P.Damer Platz is good for transport but i do agree - lacks charm.

Yeah, but you can go to a different café every day and try many breakfasts ...

So, I don't know what it's like to stay in other parts, but Prenzlauer Berg (Schoenhauser Allee), the bit of PL Berg nearer Mitte (everswalder Strasse/Pappel Allee) and Friedrichshain (Boxhagener Platz) have always been very pleasant, though F'hain is a bit edgier in terms of aesthetic.

There would be much better and more places to eat in Prenzlauer, and it's now much more gentrified and touristy but also still very local, which might suit you well, and there are nice apartments for rent.

But you may also find very nice places in Kreutzberg, which can be quite 'central', and then, I guess Charlottenburg and all the former west of the city has its nice spots, and it's definitely a richer, more internationalised and possibly banal part of the city to stay in.

Others might have better ideas.

Let us know what decision you do make.

Yeah, but you can go to a different café every day and try many breakfasts ...

So, I don't know what it's like to stay in other parts, but Prenzlauer Berg (Schoenhauser Allee), the bit of PL Berg nearer Mitte (everswalder Strasse/Pappel Allee) and Friedrichshain (Boxhagener Platz) have always been very pleasant, though F'hain is a bit edgier in terms of aesthetic.

There would be much better and more places to eat in Prenzlauer, and it's now much more gentrified and touristy but also still very local, which might suit you well, and there are nice apartments for rent.

But you may also find very nice places in Kreutzberg, which can be quite 'central', and then, I guess Charlottenburg and all the former west of the city has its nice spots, and it's definitely a richer, more internationalised and possibly banal part of the city to stay in.

Others might have better ideas.

Let us know what decision you do make.

thanks so much for this great answer. I brought himself out for a nice lunch then popped out the Berlin guide book....we have decided (jointly!!) on....Prenzlauer Berg! The flea markets there won it for him.

I am delighted he helped me pick something finally! Now the hunt begins.

Thank you for all your amazing help!I cant wait to start booking this. I hope i can help someone here with info like you have helped me!

There are so many places in Prenzlauer Berg. As I said, if you're within walking distance (within 10 minutes) of Eberswalder Strasse, Pappelallee/Lychnerstrasse/Schliemanstrasse and that park or Mauerpark, you're doing well, I think.

The flea market in Mauerpark is good, but HUGE and does get really, really packed, so packed it's like Grafton St. on Christmas Eve. The secret is to hop over to the market on Arkonaplatz. Smaller, better stuff, fewer people.

We found this website good when staying in Pl.Berg (Bucholzerstrasse): http://www.ferienwohnung-zimmer-berlin.de/index.php

But AirBnB would be really good, too. Out of curiosity last year, I searched some districts of Berlin and there were 10,000 flats available!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭lc180

Just back from Berlin last night, absolutely great city! There is some great recommendations on the thread. The only thing that I wasn't expecting was Schonefeld airport, it is dreadful and one of the worst airports Ive ever been in. I made the mistake of going extra early for my flight so I could get a dinner and relax but when i arrived at Terminal A there was barely any food options(3 in total) and really nowhere to sit. Not what you expect from a German Airport.

• Advertisement

lc180 wrote: »
    Just back from Berlin last night, absolutely great city! There is some great recommendations on the thread. The only thing that I wasn't expecting was Schonefeld airport, it is dreadful and one of the worst airports Ive ever been in. I made the mistake of going extra early for my flight so I could get a dinner and relax but when i arrived at Terminal A there was barely any food options(3 in total) and really nowhere to sit. Not what you expect from a German Airport.

Its pretty bleak - last time i was in Berlin my bag got delayed getting off the plane so we were delayed getting up for the train...missed the train and were the only people around until the next one came. It was like something from a zombie movie. Its a pretty depressing airport but does the job.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Soldie

What are you interested in (e.g. nature, history, architecture, art, shopping, fine dining, clubbing, etc.) and how long do you plan to spend here? How do you feel about being in touristy areas? Berlin is a massive city with something for everyone, but no real centre to it, so it's hard to recommend an area to stay in without knowing what kind of tourist you are.

Soldie wrote: »
    What are you interested in (e.g. nature, history, architecture, art, shopping, fine dining, clubbing, etc.) and how long do you plan to spend here? How do you feel about being in touristy areas? Berlin is a massive city with something for everyone, but no real centre to it, so it's hard to recommend an area to stay in without knowing what kind of tourist you are.

We have decided to stay in Prenzlauer berg. We both like history & old things like antiques...so flea markets are a bog draw for us.

I like vegetarian places to eat - my boyfriends like large amounts of beer. Neither of us are big shoppers in the conventional sense. We like olders areas/places rather than flashy new things. We both enjoy walking |(so the parks will be great for us) and cycling - we hope to rent bikes.

We both really love Japanese food - so any ideas for a great sushi places are welcome!

I have been to Berlin before but my boyfriend hasnt so i want to show him the sights.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Soldie

Prenzlauer Berg is a nice spot. It's pretty gentrified now, but pleasant nonetheless. Popular spots include Helmholtzplatz (between Lychener Straße and Schliemannstraße - streets mentioned by sarkozy in an earlier post) Kastanienallee and Kollwitzstraße. Oderberger Straße intersects Kastanienallee and is a great spot for breakfast. There's a food market in Kollwitzplatz (on Kollwitzstraße) on Saturdays, which is worth seeing. While on the subject of food, Nola's in Weinbergspark does brilliant brunch. The flea market at Mauerpark is worth checking out, but it gets excessively crowded. Just beside the market there's the outdoor bear pit karaoke run by an Irish dude. It also tends to draw a large crowd and can be quite amusing. If you hate crowds but like markets I'd look out for any of the countless other flea markets which can be found in Berlin on Sundays. Since you're a vegetarian I would explore Friedrichshain. It's a a bit more bohemian than Prenzlauer Berg but there are great vegetarian restaurants there (Simon-Dach-Straße has plenty). The flea market at Boxhagener Platz is nice and less busy than the one at Mauerpark. If you're settled on Prenzlauer Berg I'd echo what sarkozy said and base yourself near U-Bahnhof Eberswalder Straße as it's at the nexus of all the popular places in the area.

Any questions fire away.

How long long is your trip going to be?

Advertisement