Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to run car radio off the leisure battery?

Options
  • 28-09-2012 9:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭

Hi all I was just wondering is it easy to set up the car radio in the campervan to run off the leisure battery?

At the moment it just runs off the main starter battery.

Any help welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

dickwod1 wrote: »
    Hi all I was just wondering is it easy to set up the car radio in the campervan to run off the leisure battery?

At the moment it just runs off the main starter battery.

Any help welcome.

Cut and tape up the big and run a new one from the leisure battery via an appropriate fuse. If its and ISO headunit pin 7 on block a is the big red wire.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

Be careful messing with the wiring under the dash, it's not impossible to set off the airbags. It's best to isolate or disconect both batteries first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

Thanks for the replys

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭defike

Hi I wired my dash radio to the leisure battery and now I get interference when I switch on the engine.('08 Ducato)If the radio signal is strong like in Dublin its not a problem but when travelling the country and the signal is week I can't get any signal atall.When stopped in the country radio works fine,start the engine and station is drowned out.
    I reused the origional earth to the radio which goes through the ignition switch should I change this.
    In the old days you could fit suppressors to the plugs on cars I assume these are long gone.
    Any suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

defike wrote: »
    Hi I wired my dash radio to the leisure battery and now I get interference when I switch on the engine.('08 Ducato)If the radio signal is strong like in Dublin its not a problem but when travelling the country and the signal is week I can't get any signal atall.When stopped in the country radio works fine,start the engine and station is drowned out.
    I reused the origional earth to the radio which goes through the ignition switch should I change this.
    In the old days you could fit suppressors to the plugs on cars I assume these are long gone.
    Any suggestions.
    Your problem could be the aerial or lack of same,in most new commercial vans the aerial is on the roof so when they get converted at the factory this is disconnected the very new ones have the aerials in the mirrors
    It might be worth checking if you have an aerial connected to your radio even if their is one going into the back of the radio it could still be chopped off up the line some where
    If you can get your hands on an FM aerial that comes with most hifi units or TVs you can mount this in the dead space inside the dash and it will improve things no end

• Advertisement

Hi its a home conversion and I made sure the aerial in the roof was connected before I buried it.Thats not to say something hasn't happened to it since.But what confuses me is the stations are fine with the engine turned off but die completely when I start the engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

So that rules that out then :D,it still sounds like a low signal problem best to rule that out first before you look at suppressing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

So that rules that out then :D,it still sounds like a low signal problem best to rule that out first before you look at suppressing

Actually in most new Ducatos the aerial is built into the wing mirror.

Sound like the OP has electrical interference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

I have a second radio in the back. There is quite a bit of alternator interference on this when driving, even when totally isolated from the charging circuit. So dash radio when driving, camping radio when camping.

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    Actually in most new Ducatos the aerial is built into the wing mirror.

Sound like the OP has electrical interference.

Any solution for this.

• Advertisement

I wonder if your charger/distribution unit is the source of the noise.
    If its rf noise then the first thing to try is wind the power cable a few turns around a ferrite ring at the radio end that will help. If you still have noise I'd add something like a 100n capacitor to earth after the ferrite. You can cannibalise an old computer power supply for chokes and capacitors the 5v output choke in series and the 12v output capacitors parallel should be very effective.

You can buy them on ebay but could be chinese capola:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-NOISE-FILTER-HUM-KILLER-ENGINE-SUPRESSOR-POWER-WIRE-/260701376336?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item3cb3034f50#ht_2805wt_1348
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/40-AMP-IN-LINE-ENGINE-NOISE-SUPPRESSOR-FILTER-12v-16v-/250734037372?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item3a60e9c97c#ht_2933wt_1348

Hi Paddy.
    I will definitely try one of those suppressors thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Hi Paddy.
    I will definitely try one of those suppressors thanks.

Halfords have one too but its only 5amp so you'd want to check the spec of your headunit. Maplin do the ferrite rings too for about 3 quid.

Was looking for parts on ebay.de and searched for a filter for you this plastic fantastic one is 10.19 delivered from germany:
    http://www.ebay.de/itm/Entstorfilter-Storgerausch-Filter-filtert-entstort-Brummen-Pfeifen-Isolator-/200750682199?pt=Kabel_Stecker&hash=item2ebdac5057#ht_1311wt_1115

Thanks but already bought the china one.
    Should be here in a month.

Thanks but already bought the china one.
    Should be here in a month.

Chinese one is tidier anyway, hong kong is usually 5-9 days for me.

Its really annoying that when you search ebay it doesn't show you all the items available even when you do an advanced search for items located in in any country / region. Theres a ton of stuff on ebay.de thats available but doesn't show up in searches same for ebay.fr, ebay.it. I have to manually search ebay.de, ebay.fr, ebay.co.uk, ebay.it to find stuff.

Advertisement