Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Council house for People with Disability's

Options
  • 12-04-2011 10:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi everyone,
    Can you help!
    I have been Renting a council house for year's all was well until I Got Ill and had to be moved to a bungalow. I have Been living here for a few year's now and I can't cope with the ongoing problem's ( Damp, Mold & so on)
    I spoke to them and told them about the problem's and asked if I could be moved I even got letter's from Doctors. But they keep sending people up to put another fan in. What am I to do should I just hand the key's back and try rent private or should i keep fighting them.......:(

Thank's for Reading and If you can help in any way I would be very grateful.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Aishae

its hard for anyone to get moved when they have a house, even if it i snt suitable - particularly at the mo. its mad...

did the doctors letter go in to detail about the effects of mold and damp etc on your health?

id recommend getting in touch with your local TD on this too. theyre there to look after the interests of their constituents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Ms Misfit

Thank's Aishae for your reply.
    I will talk to a TD and yes the Doctor's letter was good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Resend

Ms Misfit wrote: »
    Hi everyone,
    Can you help!
    I have been Renting a council house for year's all was well until I Got Ill and had to be moved to a bungalow. I have Been living here for a few year's now and I can't cope with the ongoing problem's ( Damp, Mold & so on)
    I spoke to them and told them about the problem's and asked if I could be moved I even got letter's from Doctors. But they keep sending people up to put another fan in. What am I to do should I just hand the key's back and try rent private or should i keep fighting them.......:(

Thank's for Reading and If you can help in any way I would be very grateful.
    Ombudsman

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Apryl

Hi all, I wonder has any one had any experience with this. I moved in to my current house 8 years ago. At that time I was on the housing list for a three bedroom house. Unfortunately at that time I was given a two bedroom house. i was not made aware of this at that time when i was signing my letting agreement. I knew nothing until I turned the key in my house. Because I paid off deposits off furniture and flooring I moved in to the house because I didn't want to be at a loss. I thought that i would try make the best of the situation and get on with life. at that time I moved in to the house with my husband and five year old child. The reason that i am looking now to be rehoused now is my husband suffers from mytonic dystrophy, asthma and has just recently been diagnosed with diabetes. two years a go he was diagnosed with sleep apnoea and now uses a cpap machine each night which delivers oxygen to him whilst he sleeps. This machine is quite noisy and I don't get much sleep myself as a result of this machine going all night. My son also has problems he has aspergers syndrome, adhd and autism. I am a full time carer for both my husband and son. I have contacted the housing officer to be rehoused and she has told me that I could be waiting up to 9 years to be rehoused. The occupational therapist has called to see us both and submitted a report to the council. She agreed with both myself and my husband that we need to be rehoused to a bigger house as it is not possible to alter the house that we are currently living in. And also she want us to be housed in a bungalow because my husband has had a few falls as he has problems with his balance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Apryl wrote: »
    Hi all, I wonder has any one had any experience with this. I moved in to my current house 8 years ago. At that time I was on the housing list for a three bedroom house. Unfortunately at that time I was given a two bedroom house. i was not made aware of this at that time when i was signing my letting agreement. I knew nothing until I turned the key in my house. Because I paid off deposits off furniture and flooring I moved in to the house because I didn't want to be at a loss. I thought that i would try make the best of the situation and get on with life. at that time I moved in to the house with my husband and five year old child. The reason that i am looking now to be rehoused now is my husband suffers from mytonic dystrophy, asthma and has just recently been diagnosed with diabetes. two years a go he was diagnosed with sleep apnoea and now uses a cpap machine each night which delivers oxygen to him whilst he sleeps. This machine is quite noisy and I don't get much sleep myself as a result of this machine going all night. My son also has problems he has aspergers syndrome, adhd and autism. I am a full time carer for both my husband and son. I have contacted the housing officer to be rehoused and she has told me that I could be waiting up to 9 years to be rehoused. The occupational therapist has called to see us both and submitted a report to the council. She agreed with both myself and my husband that we need to be rehoused to a bigger house as it is not possible to alter the house that we are currently living in. And also she want us to be housed in a bungalow because my husband has had a few falls as he has problems with his balance.

Have you submitted a formal application to move? Dublin City have a form to request a move or transfer - see http://www.dublincity.ie/main-menu-services-housing-my-council-home/transfer-or-move-house See if your own council has a similar form. The OT report will be helpful, but reports from doctors or consultants will be more helpful. If you were applying for social housing for the first time, they look for a consultant's report, so you'd probably be best to get extra evidence if at all possible.

You could also formally request a 'reasonable accommodation' under the Equal Status Acts. These are the acts that bar discrimination against you as a result of a disability. This might add a bit of extra weight to your application.

Once you've sent this in, you should push them to ensure that the evidence is reviewed by the Council's medical adviser. Each council has an Access Officer to help disabled people to access council services, so you can contact your council's access officer if things get stuck.

• Advertisement
Advertisement