Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How bad has your memory got?

• 23-01-2009 11:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭

Just been thinking about this and am wondering how many people's memories seem to be going downhill. I can remember the most small and inane little details but most of the time I find myself telling someone a bit of news or gossip that I have already told them the day before. It's as if I can't remember who I told what to too often.
    Call it old age, I'm only bleedin' 27, or blame alcohol (I believe it is) whatever it is it's annoying. Should get myself a DS and the brain training game.

How bad has your memory got? 102 votes

It's as good as ever
    50% 51 votes
    Can't complain
    15% 16 votes
    I can barely remember yore ma??
    4% 5 votes
    An Atari what???
    29% 30 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭loz

I think it starts on Sunday - a double episode

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,707 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I have a very good memory for statistics and records etc etc; but at times, I have went upstairs to get something and in the time it took me to get up the stairs, I had forgotten what I went up for. Freaky! I have too went to the shops to buy something and got there and forgot what it was I had to buy. That's why the 'reminder' option on the mobile fone is so
    important to me. I use it religiously!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

Photographic memory, Its only the not so important things that don't need remembering, Like cleaning the house or walking the dogs :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,102 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I read that but forgot the start when I got to the end.

WTF?? Where am I??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭corkhero

I have a very good memory with needless information.

like i can tell the minute and scorer of cork city goals for the last 5 years.

but then if i get asked to do somethin, i might totally forget it in 5 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,102 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

corkhero wrote: »
    I have a very good memory with needless information.

like i can tell the minute and scorer of cork city goals for the last 5 years.

but then if i get asked to do somethin, i might totally forget it in 5 minutes.
    How many Cork City goals can there be??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

My memory is terrible, especially when I meet people for the first time.
    I forget their name 5 minutes later.

Alcohol probably has a lot to do with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

I don't remember

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

4gb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

My memory is really bad these days.
    I use google calendar to remember everything for me. :cool:

I just put in an entry every time someone tells me I am
    meant to be somewhere are a certain time.

By the time I get Alzheimer's, I hope to have computers
    remembering everything for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

SteveC wrote: »
    My memory is terrible, especially when I meet people for the first time.
    I forget their name 5 minutes later.

Alcohol probably has a lot to do with it.

Crap... that reminds me of the time where I brought a gf of 2 months out to say cheerio to a workmate who was going to Oz. I was surprised by someone else I hadn't spotted popping up saying hello to me and I introduced them and forgot for a second my ex's name. That was the longest second of my life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Still good, but as I get older, there is just stuff I couldn't be fucked remembering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭kf1920

Good Idea for a thread, my memory is perfect, seriously

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭kf1920

What an original thread, i think my memory is perfect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭Limerick Bandit

What was the question again :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

I remember Jimmy Carr's stand up and he posted an ad in the newspaper
    "Does your memory let you down
    and what about your memory is it letting you down
    Call 000---- quick before you forget"
    :D

Was also the time he posted in the paper
    "Have a speech impedamint? Call D-d-d-d-d-d-dave"
    :D

My memory is shocking at the best of times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I tend to be more annoyed by forgetting all the little bits and bobs I learnt in school. Like my geography/history etc has gone to hell etc. I then keep meaning to sit down and relearn it all but never have the time/motivation to do it.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

The reason your memories are so bad is due to mobile phones. They screw up your short term memory. Thats why after a while you can remember something you were meant to do. Moves from short term > long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Tiz me

Alcohol's the answer but I can't remember the question

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

My memory is getting worse by the day. I'm completely shocking when it comes to names. Really bad.

I think it comes down to the individuals attention span. Its different little distractions that get in the way, and as a result it makes people feel like a goldfish afterwards as they were not fully focused on the original matter/topic.

If you are 100% focused on something like reading a book/wathching a certain piece of breaking news, chances are you'll remember the vast majority of the data.

Any form of distraction distorts your memory.

If i'm watching a match on TV with my old man and he might ask me "What did the commentator just say there"? I'll sometimes look at him and go "Ah I wasn't listening", and he'll be like "But you're just sitting there looking and listening to the thing". Something else would have popped into my head for a brief period, therefore blocking any other audio/visual data that my brain is trying to process.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭gerry28

Yeah my memory is really bad these days and I blame drink too. I make sandwichs for myself in the morning and the amount of times I have been half way to work and realised I forgot them on the table, also I plug my phone into charge and a while later I can be asking did anyone see my phone.
    Very frustrating.. I need to write important things down at work too or else I will.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭deadwood

Oops.
    Wrong room.
    Sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭guineapigstar

Mine has gone really bad lately. Can never remember where anything is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

10 years to the day this thread is being resurrected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭guineapigstar

10 years to the day this thread is being resurrected.

I had been reading old threads from 10 years ago. I must have forgot where I was. I didn't intend to bump such an old thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

I had been reading old threads from 10 years ago. I must have forgot where I was. I didn't intend to bump such an old thread.

Nothing wrong with bumping an old thread, I just thought it was unusual that it was 10 years to the day since its last post!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

It's pretty good at the moment, but I don't think it will snow this weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,654 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Mine has gone really bad lately. Can never remember where anything is

Did you forget to post your reply until now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

What was the question?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I once had an ex-girlfriend who told me that my memory is so bad that if I got alzheimers, it would improve. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭pawrick

As far as I know my memory is as good as it ever was

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,738 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Are those my feet?

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭pawrick

As far as I know my memory is as good as it ever was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

I only came here to see how many pages in it would take to see the 'are those my feet' reference from fr ted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,190 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

My memory's got so bad I should off myself now, before I forget?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

My memory has gone terrible when it comes to things like television programs. If I have to wait more than about a month for the new series of something I'll have forgotten most of what happened in the preceding series. I've already forgotten what Stranger Things was about.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

pawrick wrote: »
    As far as I know my memory is as good as it ever was.

Same here.

In certain aspects, I think it has slightly improved. Why? I haven't a clue tbh. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,922 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

My dad keeps mixing up names esp those with the same first letter. Really irritates me lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I'm in my 40s. I can clearly remember episodes of TV shows from the 1980s, how much money I made for my First Communion and Confirmation and the names of everyone in my primary school classes but cannot remember what cafe I ate lunch in earlier this week, what I watched on TV last night or whether I turned off the emersion after my shower this morning!! It's scary!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

PTH2009 wrote: »
    My dad keeps mixing up names esp those with the same first letter. Really irritates me lol

Me or my two brothers... if my Dad is calling after one of us, he calls out our 3 names one after the other...it gives him a 1 in 3 chance of getting it right!! :eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I now get a kind of delayed memory reaction. I can feel and "taste" what I am trying to remember a few minutes before the actual memory arrives. When it does it is perfect, detailled, vivid.

Being nearly 80 is interesting.. many changes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

ongarboy wrote: »
    Me or my two brothers... if my Dad is calling after one of us, he calls out our 3 names one after the other...it gives him a 1 in 3 chance of getting it right!! :eek::eek::eek:

pets names were also thrown into the mix in my house

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,612 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Can remember my first credit card number. Was only 13 digits then (and expired 31/03/1982).

My long term memory is pretty good and anything relating to numbers is easier for me (got a temporary 8 digit pin last week and can still remember it)

I'm pretty useless at words and names though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Reminds me of a chalk board I seen earlier outside a pub.

“If you’re drinking to forget, then please pay in advance”.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Captcha

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/marijuana-may-boost-rather-than-dull-the-elderly-brain/
    Researchers led by Andreas Zimmer of the University of Bonn in Germany gave low doses of delta-9 tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC, marijuana’s main active ingredient, to young, mature and aged mice. As expected, young mice treated with THC performed slightly worse on behavioral tests of memory and learning. For example, after receiving THC, young mice took longer to learn where a safe platform was hidden in a water maze, and they had a harder time recognizing another mouse to which they had previously been exposed. Without the drug, mature and aged mice performed worse on the tests than young ones did. But after the elderly animals were given THC, their performances improved to the point that they resembled those of young, untreated mice. “The effects were very robust, very profound,” Zimmer says

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Not near bad enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I've always had a good memory for facts and numbers. I can still list off convoluted formulae or number sequences from many years back. Short term memory is still, thankfully, good but I'm not great at putting names to faces, and never was.

Now in my mid 70s I'm just thankful the old grey cells still function.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,738 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I've always had a good memory for facts and numbers. I can still list off convoluted formulae or number sequences from many years back. Short term memory is still, thankfully, good but I'm not great at putting names to faces, and never was.

Now in my mid 70s I'm just thankful the old grey cells still function.

You posted the same thing over an hour ago :D

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

Read this and thought what? I don't remember posting in this thread..

Just realised it was 10 years ago...

Feck, I'm getting old.

• Advertisement
Advertisement