Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The best way to stop Gangland Murders

• 11-11-2008 4:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭

Read this on another message board and decided to post it here to see what people thought...
    There's only one way to ultimately solve the issue and that is to remove the environment that these people operate in.

By that I mean, the wider public need to take a good hard look at themselves and decide if they want to leave it as acceptable to consume recreational drugs such as cannabis, ecstasy, cocaine etc. at parties and night clubs and what not. Or do they want to stop incidents like this happening. If so, they must condemn this type of activity, not with words but with their own actions. Stop using recreational drugs, stop buying knock off consumer products from the back of trucks etc.

If they do want innocent people dead, then all they need to do is to keep providing these people with the market to supply and the people will keep being killed. But if they don't want innocent people dead, then they must cast aside their old ways.

There's no point in moral indignation on the streets if the people don't want to take action themselves. Their own lifestyle should be the first port of call for analysing. Not scrutiny of the Gardaí or the government or legislation...

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I love idealism.

It's never going to happen.

I say kill the gangs. Kill them 'till they die from it!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

I would have though the best way to stop ganglnd murders would be to lock up all of the gang members or something along those lines. Turns out it's all our fault that they're scum, well I'll be jiggered

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭Turd Ferguson

No, they should just play non-stop Match of the Day and Pimp My Ride on tv. All those people killing would just stay at home then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭thewing

Like a dog that bites people, put them down - they're all dogs.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Relevant

But the people who buy the drugs that fund the gangs are entirely innocent?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭jetski

Q; The best way to stop gangland murders

A; Dont do anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

just knock down all the council estates... they'll all die off then...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I'm all for gangland murders.... helps keep the scum-count down.
    I'd say we should arm them better and the gardai should offer advice / tip offs so the right people get eliminated.

whiskeyman wrote: »
    I'd say we should arm them better and the gardai should offer advice / tip offs so the right people get eliminated.

Agreed. Every Addidas tracksuit should come with a free glock or 9mm
    I believe the term is "natural selection"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 fabfemale

If only it was that easy - I can assure you, there's much more to it than drugs alone. I live in Limerick and you should be here today - the sense of sadness is just awful.

Have a read of this - this guy is a hero in my book.

http://honestlk.wordpress.com/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Agreed. Every Addidas tracksuit should come with a free glock or 9mm
    I believe the term is "natural selection"

Not so much that the supply gets completely cut-off, mind.

Christmas is just around the corner, ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

*Sigh*

People have been using recreational drugs for several thousand years. And they will continue to use them for several thousand more. Its the relatively new prohibition of these drugs and the resultant massive profits to be gleaned which is the issue.

Everyone may continue to ignore this glaringly obvious fact and carry on with their usual moronic AH nonsense............now.

stovelid wrote: »
    Not so much that the supply gets completely cut-off, mind.

Christmas is just around the corner, ffs.

Obviously. We need that "snow" to decorate the "leafs" our trees.

CiaranC wrote: »
    *Sigh*

Aye, we all know that the only thing stopping the gang members becoming pastors, social workers and care workers is the fact that selfish drug users are corrupting them into drug supplying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Relevant wrote: »
    Read this on another message board and decided to post it here to see what people thought...

head in the sand mentality TBH.

We're posh, we have a good job and can afford to take cocaine, not like those drug dealing scum that go around killing each other for a few quid:rolleyes:

its all about supply and demand. The demand being a trendy UCD student who thinks he is cool, the supply being a gangland thug who wants to run the entire market, until someone comes along and kills him so he can take over his patch

No demand, no supply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Conscription, that'll sort 'em out. What we need is a good ol' fashioned war. There should be one along soon.

Aye, we all know that the only thing stopping the gang members becoming pastors, social workers and care workers is the fact that selfish drug users are corrupting them into drug supplying.

If its not drugs it will be prostitutes or stolen electronics or stamps or whatever.

As was said people have been using drugs for thousands of years and will continue with the same. Just stopping that will solve nothing.

No demand, no supply.

As I said, if there is no supply they will just find something else to fight about. These people are fuckwits and will do whatever they want, regardless

I was addressing the OP, which stated the cause for this trouble is selfish people using drugs.

head in the sand mentality TBH.

We're posh, we have a good job and can afford to take cocaine, not like those drug dealing scum that go around killing each other for a few quid:rolleyes:

its all about supply and demand. The demand being a trendy UCD student who thinks he is cool, the supply being a gangland thug who wants to run the entire market, until someone comes along and kills him so he can take over his patch

No demand, no supply.

I agree with you on the supply & demand thing. Although it's not just "trendy ucd students" It is anyone who buys pirate dvds, washed diesel, dodgy dvd players, foreign smokes. It all goes into these crime gangs pockets

I would usually say just legalize the supply, but you couldn't really trust the current government to supply us with our goodies, especially at peak times like festival season or Christmas. could you?

Best just to leave the industry privatized for now, even if their redundancy programmes do leave a little to be desired.

• Advertisement

I was addressing the OP, which stated the cause for this trouble is selfish people using drugs.

That is the cause of it. If nobody was supporting criminality they wouldnt exist. The legalising drugs issue is a load of bollox. It is entirely beside the point and is a way for people to shift the blame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Make weed legal.

Lock up the fully known scummers, no trial, nothing, 25 years min.

Was actually agreeing with your post. Should have been clearer. ;)

That is the cause of it. If nobody was supporting criminality they wouldnt exist. The legalising drugs issue is a load of bollox. It is entirely beside the point and is a way for people to shift the blame.
    If you criminalise something inherent to human nature, then expect a boom in crime.

If we criminalise pints of Guinness tomorrow, then a criminal industry will spring up around it. People will still want to drink pints of Guinness, and they wont stop just because someone made a retarded law against it.

If you criminalise something inherent to human nature, then expect a boom in crime.

If we criminalise pints of Guinness tomorrow, then a criminal industry will spring up around it. People will still want to drink pints of Guinness, and they wont stop just because someone made a retarded law against it.

Seperate argument...
    The fact of the matter is Guinness isn't illegal. Criminal Gangs aren't making money on it (unless they have shares in Diageo)

Are you willing to agree that when you buy drugs you are giving money to these criminal gangs or are you just going to pass the buck?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭b0bsquish

We send all the gangs out into a big field (ie carlow) and let them kill each other until one gang remains.

The remaining gang will then be killed be us. (Obviously we won't tell them this first)

Problem solved!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

WindSock wrote: »
    Conscription, that'll sort 'em out. What we need is a good ol' fashioned war. There should be one along soon.

:eek: What?

Are you saying them English are back?

//Runs off to fetch his Pike and Fenian hat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

Seperate argument...
    The fact of the matter is Guinness isn't illegal. Criminal Gangs aren't making money on it (unless they have shares in Diageo)

Are you willing to agree that when you buy drugs you are giving money to these criminal gangs or are you just going to pass the buck?

but what about cigarettes they are not illegal yet criminal gangs still make money on them.

It is not the substance in itself that causes the crime it is peoples want of it, so making it illegal to gain through any means makes it much easier for criminal gangs to amass huge sums of money providing it, which in turn gives them great power and access to very dangerous weapons and our current predicament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm just wondering where the powers have been lost in all of this.

When the CAB was set up, they appeared to be kicking ass - breaking down doors and confiscating the property of all of the big scumbags.

Then Gilligan went to jail, Dublin largely lost its major drugs barons, but it started flaring up in Limerick.

So why haven't the same powers been used to grab these guys in the middle of the night, throw them in the back of a Garda van and seize all of their assets?

• Advertisement

Rob_l wrote: »
    but what about cigarettes they are not illegal yet criminal gangs still make money on them.

It is not the substance in itself that causes the crime it is peoples want of it, so making it illegal to gain through any means makes it much easier for criminal gangs to amass huge sums of money providing it, which in turn gives them great power and access to very dangerous weapons and our current predicament.
    I agree with you on the supply & demand thing. Although it's not just "trendy ucd students" It is anyone who buys pirate dvds, washed diesel, dodgy dvd players, foreign smokes. It all goes into these crime gangs pockets

See above

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

See above

I do see above but I dont see that stopping anyone the link is too indirect for the majority to feel any shame in buying any of the mentioned goods and also most of the goods provided by these criminal gangs are addictive substances so the users have a need for them, simply telling people they are helping criminals wont help because in buying these goods these people are themselves criminals due to the legality of these same substances/goods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Organised crime is probably the worst downside of democracy. We can't just lock people up for 25years with no trial that would just be facism.

Perhaps legalising some drugs would help but I reckon cocaine is causing the most problems, and I'd never allow that to be legalised.

Perhaps legalising some drugs would help but I reckon cocaine is causing the most problems, and I'd never allow that to be legalised.

If thats causing the most problems then why would you not legalise that?
    I'm no saying we should, but why the double standards or "legalise this, but not that"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

FWIW, the vast bulk of illegal drugs on the market have been produced in a lab or are variants of less potent substances which have modified or "topped up" in a lab.

Modern cocaine and heroin for example were known in far less potent forms for hundreds of years, but it's only since the industrial revolution that the more addictive and potent forms have emerged.

So the "thousands of years" argument is really a pile of bull****.

I would support the legalisation of marijuana, purely on the basis of it being relatively unprocessed when it gets to you. I wouldn't support the legalisation of the vast majority of other drugs and any more than I would support the legalisation of alcohol in a powdered, snuff-like form.

Seperate argument...

I was using the illustration of making Guinness illegal to illustrate the point that making something illegal isnt going to stop anyone doing it, and that that will result in criminal enterprise springing up around it.

Yes certainly I agree buying drugs gives money to criminal gangs. Short of producing them ourselves, how else are we to obtain them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭Sean Quagmire

this gun is designed to take down todays super gangsters

steve_hirogen-rifle.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

We can't just lock people up for 25years with no trial that would just be facism.

Yeah! I'd say the Geoghagan family in LImerick are thrilled they don't live in a fascist state.

seamus wrote: »
    FWIW, the vast bulk of illegal drugs on the market have been produced in a lab or are variants of less potent substances which have modified or "topped up" in a lab.

Modern cocaine and heroin for example were known in far less potent forms for hundreds of years, but it's only since the industrial revolution that the more addictive and potent forms have emerged.
    The raw coca leaf is as potent as street grade cocaine here. Pure opium is stronger than street grade heroin. Neither go anywhere near a lab, and have roots back to ancient South American and Chinese cultures. Both are made more potent to aid in smuggling smaller quantities and reducing risk of such, then bulked back up at street level so dosages are similar. So the point stands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

We can't just lock people up for 25years with no trial that would just be facism.

We can't also just tap and record private mobile phone conversations, text messages, Emails, ISP data, browsing records and media censorship etc because that would also be just fascism :rolleyes:

We can't also just tap and record private mobile phone conversations, text messages, Emails, ISP data, browsing records and media censorship etc because that would also be just fascism :rolleyes:

I more meant in the sense that Brian Cowen could decide he wants the opposition thrown in prison if he thought they were going to win election, not the act itself
    If thats causing the most problems then why would you not legalise that?
    I'm no saying we should, but why the double standards or "legalise this, but not that"?

I think more people would be doing it than are now and it causes far more harm than cannibis/mdma

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

These people are scum.

It's time for Vigilante groups to be set up, take the power back.

Because the Gardaí, the Judiciary and the Government clearly don't have power any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭villager

Des wrote: »
    These people are scum.

Because the Gardaí, the Judiciary and the Government clearly don't have power any more.

the gardai have powers to arrest and question but do not not have the power to make people talk or give evidence. have heard it on regular occasions of these scumbags sitting in an interview and just staring at a point on a wall or just constantly giving no comment interviews. and then when the users r distributors are arrested with drugs they are **** scared to rat out the mr big.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

The best way to stop Gangland Murders

One way is for the judges in Ireland to stop falling for sob stories and handing down suspended sentences. Zero tolerance and mandatory sentences. The only time EVER people should recieve a suspended sentence (if at all) is on their first offence. Zero tolerance and 3 strikes rule for violent offenders are worth trying in my view. We have tried the softly softly approach (through light or suspended sentencing) and it doesnt work.

Take a life and you go to prison for the rest of YOUR Life - meaning you will only ever get out the day you die. That will give some people a reason to at least think twice before shooting somone.

Des wrote: »
    These people are scum.

There's no heroin in Belfast, so you may have a point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

My first proposal would be to petrol bomb every knacker caravan and halting site in the country. Now they may have little to do with city gangland feuds but it would make me feel a lot better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Aidric wrote: »
    My first proposal would be to petrol bomb every knacker caravan and halting site in the country. Now they may have little to do with city gangland feuds but it would make me feel a lot better.
    Hahahah! :D

Feckin' pikeys!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

"The best way to stop Gangland Murders"

The solution's as easy as 1 2 3

Job Done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

with hatchet, axe and saw!

Aidric wrote: »
    My first proposal would be to petrol bomb every knacker caravan and halting site in the country.

It would be impractical to firebomb an entire city of Limerick's size though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Morlar wrote: »
    One way is for the judges in Ireland to stop falling for sob stories and handing down suspended sentences. Zero tolerance and mandatory sentences. The only time EVER people should recieve a suspended sentence (if at all) is on their first offence. Zero tolerance and 3 strikes rule for violent offenders are worth trying in my view. We have tried the softly softly approach (through light or suspended sentencing) and it doesnt work.

Take a life and you go to prison for the rest of YOUR Life - meaning you will only ever get out the day you die. That will give some people a reason to at least think twice before shooting somone.

Or drop them all off on a remote island to fend for themselves, and have a helicopter drop off bags of weapons ( enough for everyone ) , and leave them to it.
    Mix like with like and the numbers wouldn't be long dwindling.

• Advertisement
Advertisement