Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen Campervan

Options
  • 20-09-2012 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi All,

I had my campervan (97 white Mazda Bongo, 4wd automatic) stolen from outside my house on Monday night. Photo: https://www.dropbox.com/s/e7xl1sk0m9ian47/2011-07-22%2020.17.58.jpg If anyone comes across it or is offered parts from it please contact me. Any help would be appreciated. I did my own conversion and she was only on the road three months. Contact me at owenclarkin@hotmail.com

Thanks,

Owen2011-02-17%2001.06.17.jpg2011-02-17%2001.07.34.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭meercat

clarko wrote: »
    Hi All,

I had my campervan (97 white Mazda Bongo, 4wd automatic) stolen from outside my house on Monday night. Photo: https://www.dropbox.com/s/e7xl1sk0m9ian47/2011-07-22%2020.17.58.jpg If anyone comes across it or is offered parts from it please contact me. Any help would be appreciated. I did my own conversion and she was only on the road three months. Contact me at owenclarkin@hotmail.com

Thanks,

Owen2011-02-17%2001.06.17.jpg2011-02-17%2001.07.34.jpg

sorry to hear that

what part of the country?

welcome to boards and give an update if you have any news

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

Sorry to hear this bad news too ... Do you have a Facebook account if so post the info there too and ask your friends to share it and keep sharing it, I seen someone get there stolen commericial van back through Facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Bessa

It's a lovely van I hope you get it back soon, that's a horrible thing to happen to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭T650

Reg number ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 clarko

Thanks for all your nice condolences. It was stolen from Drumcondra in north Dublin. Reg is 97-D-71607, though the plates might be changed at this stage. It is up on Facebook but if anyone feels like sharing it on their own Facebook/twitter accounts that would also be much appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

I stuck in on my facebook, fingers crossed for you. Hope the insurance company being decent about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Bessa

Any word on your van since?

No word unfortunately. I had it traced to a compound in north Dublin as I had a mobile phone in it but the gardai weren't able to find it. As for my insurance company...it seems like the thieves aren't only in rags they're also in suits (as if you didn't know that)!

Dolmen refused to reply to my emails looking for a quotation on the refund or querying about a rental car until I sent them an email to cancel my policy. They then told me that I wasn't due any refund as it was my first year with them! Does anyone know anything about this?

AXA (the underwriter) is refusing to pay me the market value and will only give me what I bought the commercial van for and the money I spent on the conversion (excluding labour and time, blood, sweat & tears).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

AXA (the underwriter) is refusing to pay me the market value and will only give me what I bought the commercial van for and the money I spent on the conversion (excluding labour and time, blood, sweat & tears).

DO NOT let them push you around. Threaten legal action on them, and that you'll take it to the ombudsman. Get a solicitor involved if you have to....that'll soften their cough......bullies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

No word unfortunately. I had it traced to a compound in north Dublin as I had a mobile phone in it but the gardai weren't able to find it. As for my insurance company...it seems like the thieves aren't only in rags they're also in suits (as if you didn't know that)!

Dolmen refused to reply to my emails looking for a quotation on the refund or querying about a rental car until I sent them an email to cancel my policy. They then told me that I wasn't due any refund as it was my first year with them! Does anyone know anything about this?

I would imagine that the valuation that the VRO put on it would be a good wrangling point.

• Advertisement

Unfortunately/fortunately as the van was originally imported with back seats the importers paid the full VRT so I wasn't charged any on the conversion and as a result it was never valued. Thanks for all your replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

With regard to it being your first year with Dolmen, have you had a good read of your policy? is this mentioned with regard to the 'van being stolen? if not I fail to see how they can refuse your claim.

If it is in there it just goes to show that we need to read insurance policies more fully and object, not that they would alter things tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭niloc1951

I'm really sorry to read about the theft of your camper.

You mentioned about being able to track it's whereabouts using your mobile phone which was in it but as I understand it such tracking is not down to a precise spot.

For myself and others the protection and trackability of one of THESE devices is looking more and more like a necessity rather than an option.

The problem is even when you track it you need an effective task force to do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭niloc1951

The problem is even when you track it you need an effective task force to do anything.

I suppose that compared to THIS our poor ould Garda Siochána are still back in the dark ages :o:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

The temptation to raise a posse would be overwhelming I'd say :eek: I know who I'd call already so I'd better not get one.

I put a disklok on our old van since reading this. A lot of the japanese vans had no immobiiser right up to the mid 2000s.

Advertisement