Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible leak on roof top ac unit

Options
  • 11-06-2012 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭

I'm going with just possible leak as looking into (well googling) it I'm not sure I'm any clearer.

We were out in the van for the first time since the wind and rain last week over the weekend, and when I took a turn, the kids got a little wet from water coming from around the Air conditioning unit. There doesn't seem to be any sign of long term ingress, and no sign of wetness until taking that turn (no puddle on the floor).

Now I thought it was some seal gone, but after googling it seems there should be a gap between the unit and the roof, and drain points to allow condensation to escape. So I'm beginning to second guess whether it could be something to do with the angle of the wind and rain pushing water up somewhere that shouldn't actually be sealed off (if that makes sense).

From what I can see, the rubber "seal" that I can see around the base of the unit on the roof has seen better days. So my question to the experts is should I leave it and see does it happen again before taking apart for more of a look?

For reference, there was no sign of water the previous weeks rubbish weather - we were over nighting in it over the bank holiday rainfest! The Van is new to us, and haven't paid any attention, or needed air con so far!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Going up for a look on the roof as it's dry and no one else is interesting a day out. However I've another question - can I lie on the roof, or will I have to reach from the ladder. I'm a big fella, so I'm a bit worried about doing it, but it'd be a pain in the arse to try and do anything reaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

unless it's a particularly bad roof construction , yes you can lie on the roof . Rain water shouldn't be able to find a way in , unless it can flow uphill for 6 inches.... to repair the rubber seal , you'll need to remove the A/C unit from the roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Just want to follow up on this one. I had tracked down the leak to the bolts, and had seemed to solve it. However, was out for a spin at the weekend, and the little uns got a splashing and it appears to be leaking again (was fine all summer, even given the weather - I was paranoid about checking it!). So more work to do.

However, given we have never actually used the air con, I'm kinda thinking of just taking it off altogether and reinstating the skylight. The opening is still there so there (there was a metal sheet put on the roof, on which the air con unit is mounted), so it should be just cut the metal to match the 39cm hole and then fit the sky light, shouldn't it?

So my question to the experts, should it be as easy as I think? Cut out the metal for the opening, drill the holes for the screws, mastic around the base - anything I'm missing? Will the metal create an issue when sealing it?

Also, any recommendation on sealing the bolt holes that were used to bolt down the air con unit and the rear wall mounted water tank? Would fibreglass seal them up permenantly?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Just want to follow up on this one. I had tracked down the leak to the bolts, and had seemed to solve it. However, was out for a spin at the weekend, and the little uns got a splashing and it appears to be leaking again (was fine all summer, even given the weather - I was paranoid about checking it!). So more work to do.

However, given we have never actually used the air con, I'm kinda thinking of just taking it off altogether and reinstating the skylight. The opening is still there so there (there was a metal sheet put on the roof, on which the air con unit is mounted), so it should be just cut the metal to match the 39cm hole and then fit the sky light, shouldn't it?

So my question to the experts, should it be as easy as I think? Cut out the metal for the opening, drill the holes for the screws, mastic around the base - anything I'm missing? Will the metal create an issue when sealing it?

Also, any recommendation on sealing the bolt holes that were used to bolt down the air con unit and the rear wall mounted water tank? Would fibreglass seal them up permenantly?
    Any pics? Sounds like the opening was bigger than the standard 400mm square. You don't seal the bolts as water should never get near them. What was used to seal the AC unit to the roof ?

Advertisement