Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are these wide range of levels normal?

• 28-10-2014 11:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 687 ✭✭✭

On Astra 28.2, which channel has the highest signal level and which has the lowest?
    My HD100 shows 71% for ITV1; 48% RT & 42% CBS Action. Are these wide range of levels normal?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

your dish is slightly off and needs realignment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 687 ✭✭✭mrtom

Nowso wrote: »
    your dish is slightly off and needs realignment

So do all sig levels drop or does the range in different levels increase?

they can drop slightly with weather shouldnt be 40 or 50 . your dish has moved off in the wind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭winston_1

LNBs are not flat over their wide passband. Cable losses increase with frequency. Different satellite transponders have different footprints and signal levels. Different receivers are calibrated differently, 48% on one may be 70% on another. And yes you dish alignment will affect things.

winston_1 wrote: »
    LNBs are not flat over their wide passband. Cable losses increase with frequency. Different satellite transponders have different footprints and signal levels. Different receivers are calibrated differently, 48% on one may be 70% on another. And yes you dish alignment will affect things.
    Thanks winston 1. I notice my no brand “HD 100” http://www.tvtrade.ie/hd-satellite-receiver.html always gave lower signal levels than its predecessor. I assume its a less sensitive device.
    I don't experience “rain fade” though occasionally channels have disappeared and I've had to rescan. I've done minor tweaking with my dish picking the weakest channel to optimise, but no improvement. So no major issues, however my question is about whether the range, not the level, from 71% for ITV1; 48% RT & 42% CBS Action is normal? I do follow that transponders have different power outputs.
    Thoughts welcome.

• Advertisement

no start from sky news which is one of the weakest and get the highest u can on that

Nowso wrote: »
    no start from sky news which is one of the weakest and get the highest u can on that

Interesting, as I write Sky News is 42% & CBS Action 37% !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

mrtom wrote: »
    ... I don't experience “rain fade” though occasionally channels have disappeared and I've had to rescan.

If you're not having any problems with viewing, just ignore the signal readings.

If you had to rescan channels because they moved to a different transponder, then obviously that's nothing to do with your signal levels. Signal quality is more informative anyway.

Advertisement