Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky On Demand

Options
  • 27-10-2014 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Anyone else having problems with download speeds for On Demand? Mine was grand until about a month ago but since then it's been horrendous - unusable as an on demand service. At the moment I'm looking at a 546 MB download that's only 10% complete after half an hour and still not available to view.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Moved to Satellite

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

ckeng wrote: »
    Anyone else having problems with download speeds for On Demand? Mine was grand until about a month ago but since then it's been horrendous - unusable as an on demand service. At the moment I'm looking at a 546 MB download that's only 10% complete after half an hour and still not available to view.

Do a planner rebuild. Services, right to settings, down to picture, 0,1, select, brings you to setup, go to sky+rebuild.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

Mine slows down to a crawl in the evenings nothing will download until after midnight, there is a huge thread on the Sky forums about this, but as usual Sky ignore the problem and stone wall everyone.

BTW I'm on Fibre and my connection is always at full speed even in evenings, I, like most others are convinced the problem lies on Sky servers end.

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭ckeng

I've posted on a couple of those threads and been through the standard fixes a couple of times. Private message from one of the Forum admins on Tuesday looking for firmware, versions, broadband speeds etc which I gave yesterday but no further response from him. I'll give it until tomorrow evening and then cancel the subscription I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,436 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Having the same problem myself, downloads not starting or sticking at 1-2%.

On UPC 200mb broadband, cable into Sky Box so no issues there.

Is the idea of rebooting or rebuild planner as advised here of no use?

• Advertisement

No harm trying it as it won't take that long to do but don't be surprised if it doesn't work. On the UK forums Sky claim that this has solved it for some users but I haven't actually seen a user confirm this. I've just received my third PM from Sky support asking for information I've supplied to them 3 or 4 times already - either stalling or incompetence but neither gives me a lot of confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Is everyone here seeing this issue on UPC connections ?

Eircom fibre. The guys with the same problem in the UK are spread out over a range of ISPs, packages and connection speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Eircom fibre. The guys with the same problem in the UK are spread out over a range of ISPs, packages and connection speeds.

Ah grand, I was suspecting some provider specific traffic shaping but obviously not !

Mine has been very bad as well, it could take a day to download an episode of something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Hit and miss here too (Eircom).

You could kick a download off and it would progress about 1% every 10 minutes or it could absolutely fly through. 6pm to midnight midweek is the worst time (but probably the busiest in terms of contention).

I also find if you pause/unpause a "stuck" download a few times it can suddenly start downloading at full pelt.

Either way, pretty damn frustrating, and not exactly "on demand"!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Tried to download a new show on the on demand the other night. It was painfully slow, so did a rebuild but that didn't seem to work. Did a software download and it instantly worked as normal. I've 100mb upc bb btw.

Advertisement