Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sat IP - Any actual reviews or users?

Options
  • 26-10-2014 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭

Hi All,

It looks like Sat>IP technology has been around for a couple of years now, but damned if I can find an actual review from a real-life, manufacturer independent user online, which is quite annoying. I know market uptake has been slow on this by all accounts, but I thought there'd be at least ONE review out there that I didn't have to trawl and trawl for.

I'm very interested in this distribution system as it seems like whoever wired the house I'm in has let power cables run too close to the coax and even saorview channels are patchy at the best of time. Don't think the coax in my house if viable for satellite distribution basically, and I'm not prepared to tear up the house looking for the offending trouble spots in the coax runs.

Anyone know where I might be able to find some reviews? Or better yet - anyone on here actually use Sat>IP themselves? By the suspicious lack of review info out there, I get the feeling everyone knows something I don't about this.

Thanks all,
    GY :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭gaelicyoda

110+ views and not a dickie bird... will I take that as a resounding "no"? :)

Seems crazy to me that there is not as much as a single testimonial anywhere to be found - the technology seems like such a good idea, surely someone must have taken the step into the unknown at some point in the last 2 years....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

What problems are you having with Saorview, & how have you reached the conclusion that power cables are responsible? Seems pretty unlikely to me.

Thurston? wrote: »
    What problems are you having with Saorview, & how have you reached the conclusion that power cables are responsible?

So the reception has always been flaky in the house as long as we've been in it - one room would tune in and another wouldn't (so the problem was not with the antenna) but there was no discernable pattern as to when it would come and go. Did all the usual stuff like double checked the coax sockets and all that, those looked fine. Then the change over to saorview, same problem, except intermittent snow was replaced with an intermittent loss of picture. Finally, once we put lights and sockets up in the attic, it pretty much just went altogether then

gaelicyoda wrote: »
    - one room would tune in and another wouldn't (so the problem was not with the antenna)

We're talking about digital signals here, with sudden & complete failure of reception when signal quality falls below a certain point: it's possible a system right on the threshold could give a service of sorts at some TV points, & nothing at all at others. So poor signal at the aerial could be part of the problem at least.

If the aerial is in the attic, I would think it would be more likely that any interference radiated from power cables would be picked up by the aerial rather than by the coaxial cables, so moving the aerial outside would be a worthwhile course of action if that is the case. If sited correctly, it should give a good increase in signal level, & will be further from sources of interference in the house.

If the aerial is in the attic, I would think it would be more likely that any interference radiated from power cables would be picked up by the aerial rather than by the coaxial cables

Aha, okay - I hadn't actually considered the aerial as being a possible receptor of the interference, but worth a shot. Don't have an aerial that would stand up to the elements at the moment though, so would need to source one first.

Would still like to find out more about Sat IP too though if anyone reading has any more info.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Aha, okay - I hadn't actually considered the aerial as being a possible receptor of the interference, but worth a shot. Don't have an aerial that would stand up to the elements at the moment though, so would need to source one first.

Would still like to find out more about Sat IP too though if anyone reading has any more info.

For the price of a lot of that gear , if you have cat.5e in your walls , I think youd be better running composite / hdmi over that using a box with an IR passthrough, keep your sat / saorview tuner in the attic and hook up your tv's to it. Clean install and eliminates coax problems

For the price of a lot of that gear , if you have cat.5e in your walls , I think youd be better running composite / hdmi over that using a box with an IR passthrough, keep your sat / saorview tuner in the attic and hook up your tv's to it. Clean install and eliminates coax problems

Thanks Eric - well, they're not in the walls, but I'm running a powerline network in the house alright. Would that setup mean I'd have to watch the same channel in every room?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Thanks Eric - well, they're not in the walls, but I'm running a powerline network in the house alright. Would that setup mean I'd have to watch the same channel in every room?

For a powerline network youd need video over IP. It seems a bit needlesly expensive to me.

You would just put your sat receiver for each tv in the attic , so each tv would have different channels . I dont know the structure of your house and how cables are run through it, but in some properties (particularly bungalows) ive had success with finding the old coax in the attic, taping new ct100 to it and slowly pulling it down to the wall socket . Beware when doing this that it doesnt catch other cables . Get a good multiswitch / DDU in the attic and some triplexing wall plates and send terrestrial and sat down over one cable to the tv points.

A good multiswitch has individual gains on each port so you could adjust for each tv and should stop signal issues

... Don't think the coax in my house if viable for satellite distribution basically

Should have asked this at the start but have you actually tried distributing satellite signals on these cables? (Had it in my head you didn't think there was any point, due to Saorview performance.)

Thanks a lot Eric ...
    For a powerline network youd need video over IP. It seems a bit needlesly expensive to me.

Another technology I've not used before... does this compress the stream before broadcasting it over IP is it?
    You would just put your sat receiver for each tv in the attic , so each tv would have different channels.

There I go thinking in 1 dimension again :-) Multiple boxes in the attic - gotcha.
    I dont know the structure of your house and how cables are run through it, but in some properties (particularly bungalows) ive had success with finding the old coax in the attic, taping new ct100 to it and slowly pulling it down to the wall socket.

Yeah, this was one of the first things I tried - it's a two story house and it seems like the coax bends sharply once the vertical run hits the ceiling or something - the cables don't really budge unfortunately :-(
    Get a good multiswitch / DDU in the attic and some triplexing wall plates and send terrestrial and sat down over one cable to the tv points.

Don't think I can really change the existing cables without tearing up the wall, so probably not a runner.
    A good multiswitch has individual gains on each port so you could adjust for each tv and should stop signal issues

Hmmm, a leap of faith I'm not sure I'm ready to make ... it could be my lack of experience with the kit involved, but the interference is pretty bad from what I can see, so no guarantee shelling out for all that gear would sort out my problems. Would that be expensive? (probably a lot less than Sat IP I know, but I'd probably have more confidence in that working for me)

• Advertisement

Should have asked this at the start but have you actually tried distributing satellite signals on these cables? (Had it in my head you didn't think there was any point, due to Saorview performance.)

No, you're quite right Thurston - I have no satellite kit at all, so I haven't tried it.

... I have no satellite kit at all, so I haven't tried it.

I think I'd be trying it before considering anything else ...

I wouldn't be jumping to conclusions re. the signal handling capability of the cables, based solely on reception quality from what is probably a dodgy aerial setup. (I can only assume the electrical end of things - the possible source of interference - is all as it should be.)

As mentioned already, I'd move the aerial outside: check to see that it (or its replacement) has a balun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ubuntero

You can find Triax TSS400 satellite IP converter review in Tele Audiovision Mag (11-12/2014). There you`ve got pdf: tinyurl.com/pkauma5

ubuntero wrote: »
    You can find Triax TSS400 satellite IP converter review in Tele Audiovision Mag (11-12/2014). There you`ve got pdf: tinyurl.com/pkauma5

Thanks ubuntero - appreciate you registering to give me that info.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ubuntero

also, discussion about "Inverto iLNB" with some testing results:

tvheadend.org/boards/5/topics/13486

Advertisement