Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE 1 HD on Sky box

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,720 ✭✭✭lertsnim

OSI wrote: »
    Why?

Sky is a private company and would be the only beneficiary so should cover the cost unless the channels are provided on at least a FTV basis (which will never happen). RTE One already exists in SD so RTE wont be losing viewers.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭TAFKAlawhec

The potential launch of the new Astra 2G satellite won't really give much extra capacity compared to what is currently available at 28 east already - it's main mission will be to replace both the ageing Astra 2A & Eutelsat 28A satellites for Europe as well as increasing capacity for West African transmissions at the same position. Both Astra 2E & 2F have capacity currently available for another transponder to be lit up if needed.

The current transponder being used for RTÉ, TV3 & TG4 television broadcasts (Transponder 43, 10744 MHz, Horizontal polarity, Symbol Rate 22000, FEC 5/6) has a net bitrate of nearly 33.8 Mbit/s. Apart from associated data, it currently carries 6 SD channels, 1 HD channel and four radio channels. They could probably fit in one more HD stream, but the quality of all other TV channels on the transponder would suffer at least a little bit. Rejigging the transmission characteristics to DVB-S2 isn't an option as non-SD receivers would not be able to "see" the transponder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Would it not be a better option to have a RTE HD channel on Sky broadcasting a bit of both from RTE 1 & 2? The BBC did this when they launched their HD transmission.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

bbability wrote: »
    Would it not be a better option to have a RTE HD channel on Sky broadcasting a bit of both from RTE 1 & 2? The BBC did this when they launched their HD transmission.

it would take brains to schedule that..

good idea..

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭TAFKAlawhec

bbability wrote: »
    That's because the original BBC HD channel was a trial service.

A separate RTÉ HD channel would require its own playout facilities which still would only need to be temporary (it's surely a case of when, not if RTÉ One HD will be available via Sky) and would not help when shows on both RTÉ One and RTÉ 2 are both HD sourced - who gives in there?

As I've said, bandwidth at the satellite position itself isn't the problem - it's simply the (little known of in public) commercial agreement between RTÉ and Sky that appears to be the hold up. I'd assume there would be nothing to stop RTÉ One HD appearing on another transponder with other services broadcast as 3e and Newstalk are if an agreement involving all parties was reached.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

A separate RTÉ HD channel would require its own playout facilities which still would only need to be temporary (it's surely a case of when, not if RTÉ One HD will be available via Sky) and would not help when shows on both RTÉ One and RTÉ 2 are both HD sourced - who gives in there?

Its only a month ago when we had complaints here when the All-Ireland Hurling Final and the first Republic of Ireland UEFA Euro 2016 game clashed. One had to be shown on RTE One (the GAA IIRC ) and the GAA fans who only had Sky complained. Had the channels been reversed the football fans would have complained. Thankfully clashes like that are rare but it demonstrates the difficulties.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

icdg wrote: »
    Its only a month ago when we had complaints here when the All-Ireland Hurling Final and the first Republic of Ireland UEFA Euro 2016 game clashed. One had to be shown on RTE One (the GAA IIRC ) and the GAA fans who only had Sky complained. Had the channels been reversed the football fans would have complained. Thankfully clashes like that are rare but it demonstrates the difficulties.

Yes, but when they showed the reply of the All-Ireland hurling final (this time on RTE2-HD), it wasn't in HD. In fact, a very large amount of content available in HD and shown on RTE2-HD is not broadcast in HD. So what's the point in RTE having any HD channels when they wont use them?

When it comes to HD, RTE is a complete joke.

3rdDegree wrote: »
    So what's the point in RTE having any HD channels when they wont use them?

But they do use them. As pointed out already both the all Ireland final and soccer were available in HD. If Sky choose not to have the RTÉ One HD channel, it is nobody else's fault but Sky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

lertsnim wrote: »
    But they do use them.

Disregarding the Sky factor there is still not a lot of HD programming on RTE. The amount of upscaled content is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Agree. Most movies are shown upscaled when there are definitely HD versions available.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Could it be that they may have to renegotiate rights deals for HD content like movies, etc.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

They show quite a bit of HD programming. And you are assuming that they have access to everything in HD. The moaning on this place at times is something else.

I'm not assuming anything and I'm not moaning, I rarely watch RTE, just stating my opinion. There were games during the World Cup that were upscaled and some GAA Championship games, movies etc.
    No need to get offended on their behalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

But they do use them. As pointed out already both the all Ireland final and soccer were available in HD. If Sky choose not to have the RTÉ One HD channel, it is nobody else's fault but Sky.

No they do not and I think you missed my point. What I was saying was that even though they show something on a HD channel that is available in HD, they frequently show that content is SD. There are many examples, such as US shows, movies, live events and in the case I mentioned above, when they showed the All Ireland hurling final replay on RTE 2HD. In fact, the majority of such content is shown in SD on RTE 2HD.

As for "moaning", it's a valid moan. We're discussing RTE's extremely poor implementation of HD. That is something that deserves derision. It certainly doesn't deserve any praise! It's a complete joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭JDxtra

I've always said (including to RTE) that they should remove the HD logo when the content is not HD. But maybe they like misleading the viewer into thinking they are better than they are at HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭irishgeo

JDxtra wrote: »
    I've always said (including to RTE) that they should remove the HD logo when the content is not HD. But maybe they like misleading the viewer into thinking they are better than they are at HD.

what bitrate are they using?

is it better than sky?

sky bitrate on the sd channels is awful lately

JDxtra wrote: »

It's userul on UPC/Sky where there are seperate HD and SD versions. Then again, the EPG will tell you which is which as easily

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Remind Me Tomorrow

Kensington wrote: »
    There is nothing on RTÉ 1 HD you cannot see on RTÉ 1 SD (save for the few hundred thousand pixels of course) so the cost is not justifiable to RTÉ just for a HD variant of an existing channel, and on a closed platform pay TV operator at that.

The quality is brutal on a 45" screen, 55" - 65" is fast becoming the norm and SD video is simply unwatchable imo. Sky have decreased the SD picture quality on the modern boxes so people will be urged to upgrade to HD.

Sky have been screwing their Irish customers for years. They know that the vast majority of their Irish customers have no other alternative to Sky and they can get away with whatever they like. What they don't realise is that the competition is set to explode with broadband services getting into TV and as soon as there are alternatives Sky will be fcuked no matter what they try to do about it. We may not go out on the streets protesting much, but when the time comes we pounce. Ah come on lads, here's a new transponder for free, we're all friends now right? No, fcuk you sky...fcuk you.

please don't attempt to circumvent the langauge filter

The quality is brutal on a 45" screen, 55" - 65" is fast becoming the norm and SD video is simply unwatchable imo. Sky have decreased the SD picture quality on the modern boxes so people will be urged to upgrade to HD.

Sky have been screwing their Irish customers for years. They know that the vast majority of their Irish customers have no other alternative to Sky and they can get away with whatever they like. What they don't realise is that the competition is set to explode with broadband services getting into TV and as soon as there are alternatives Sky will be fcuked no matter what they try to do about it. We may not go out on the streets protesting much, but when the time comes we pounce. Ah come on lads, here's a new transponder for free, we're all friends now right? No, fcuk you sky...fcuk you.

Most people do have an alternative to throwing a fortune at Sky every month. The most watched channels on satellite are FTA. I know the following isn't true for everyone, especially if you want live sport, but most people wouldn't miss pay TV if they ditched it for something like a Freesat/Saorview combination.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭corm500

Most people do have an alternative to throwing a fortune at Sky every month. The most watched channels on satellite are FTA. I know the following isn't true for everyone, especially if you want live sport, but most people wouldn't miss pay TV if they ditched it for something like a Freesat/Saorview combination.

I am living proof of this as I ditched Sky a few months back after years of loyal service, I dont miss it one bit which has surprised me tbh. To the extent that when Sky rang me a few weeks back and offered me all channels for free for 3 months , I turned them down as I coudnt be bothered taking the box down from the attic :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭RED L4 0TH

scart wrote: »
    Yeah same here.
    Hopefully RTE/Sky can get this sorted soon with the launch of Astra 2G.

I have sent an e-mail to RTE and called their switchboard twice voicing my annoyance at not been able to receive RTE1HD on the Sky platform. I recommend other Sky customers do the same...

Launched last night. Don't know when it goes into actual service though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

RED L4 0TH wrote: »
    Launched last night. Don't know when it goes into actual service though.

is rte1hd on sky now

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

ftakeith wrote: »
    is rte1hd on sky now

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 RazorT

RTÉ and Sky TV have signed a long-term partnership agreement to increase the number of channels and ways in which RTÉ's content can be accessed on Sky's platform in Ireland.

RTÉ One and RTÉ 2 are already available through Sky here, with the new agreement resulting in more RTÉ channels and services available to Sky customers.

In the coming months Sky subscribers in Ireland will be able to access a range of RTÉ content through RTÉ Player's availability via Sky on Demand.

As part of the agreement, RTÉ News Now and RTÉ One + 1 will be added to the Sky platform, with RTÉ One HD becoming available to Sky customers at the same time.

Commenting on the announcement RTÉ Director General Noel Curran said: "As Ireland's national public service media, RTÉ aims to serve all audiences. We do this through our 25 distinctive services.

“It has been a key policy initiative for RTÉ in recent years that those services be available and distributed as widely as possible through key partnerships that recognise the value for both parties.

“We're delighted to have concluded this new partnership with Sky which gives significantly more access to RTÉ services and programming on Sky for audiences in Ireland," Mr Curran added.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

• Registered Users Posts: 28,435 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

RazorT wrote: »
    RTÉ and Sky TV have signed a long-term partnership agreement to increase the number of channels and ways in which RTÉ's content can be accessed on Sky's platform in Ireland.

RTÉ One and RTÉ 2 are already available through Sky here, with the new agreement resulting in more RTÉ channels and services available to Sky customers.

In the coming months Sky subscribers in Ireland will be able to access a range of RTÉ content through RTÉ Player's availability via Sky on Demand.

As part of the agreement, RTÉ News Now and RTÉ One + 1 will be added to the Sky platform, with RTÉ One HD becoming available to Sky customers at the same time.

Commenting on the announcement RTÉ Director General Noel Curran said: "As Ireland's national public service media, RTÉ aims to serve all audiences. We do this through our 25 distinctive services.

“It has been a key policy initiative for RTÉ in recent years that those services be available and distributed as widely as possible through key partnerships that recognise the value for both parties.

“We're delighted to have concluded this new partnership with Sky which gives significantly more access to RTÉ services and programming on Sky for audiences in Ireland," Mr Curran added.

Sorry but that was announced a couple of months ago. We're all wondering when they will actually put RTE 1 HD on the EPG.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭galtee boy

murpho999 wrote: »
    Sorry but that was announced a couple of months ago. We're all wondering when they will actually put RTE 1 HD on the EPG.

Agreed, it's turning out to be one of the longest " watched kettles boiling" ever. The announcement was made on Sept 4 and the word used for the launch of RTE 1 HD etc was " soon", followed by the RTE Player " later. If this is soon, I would hate to see what their idea of later is !

I'm waiting to see if they will add the digital only RTE radio stations to the Sky epg,as well!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

Quick to increase the prices and send the letters out to notify the increase.

Slow to release RTE1HD.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement