Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky signal strength

• 26-10-2014 11:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,918 ✭✭✭✭

I have installed a new standard 60 cm Sky dish near Galway. I can't get the signal strength, on the box, above about 1/3 to 1/2. I can get the signal quality up to 3/4.

I have a good picture but rain affects certain channels like Sky News. Apart from a bigger dish is there anything else that might increase the signal strength. I could reduce the cable length by rerouting it but I don't want to bother if it has no effect.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

How long is the cable? What type of cable? (Thin 'shotgun' type has high signal loss.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,918 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Thurston? wrote: »
    How long is the cable? What type of cable? (Thin 'shotgun' type has high signal loss.)

The cable is the original cable fitted by Sky around 6 years ago. It doesn't seem overly thin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Have you checked the skew of the LNB?

Look here if you don't know what I mean.

Discodog wrote: »
    The cable is the original cable fitted by Sky around 6 years ago.

Did this installation always have problems with rain fade? Did you compare the old & new dish for size? (Presumably they're both zone 2, the 60cm you mention in your OP measured from top-to-bottom.)

Are you relying solely on the Sky box display & do you have it in view of the dish while carrying out adjustments?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Galway

I have installed a new standard 60 cm Sky dish near Galway. I can't get the signal strength, on the box, above about 1/3 to 1/2. I can get the signal quality up to 3/4.

I have a good picture but rain affects certain channels like Sky News. Apart from a bigger dish is there anything else that might increase the signal strength. I could reduce the cable length by rerouting it but I don't want to bother if it has no effect.

You need a proper meter to avoid rain fade when aligning a dish.

• Advertisement

Galway wrote: »
    You need a proper meter to avoid rain fade when aligning a dish.

Plenty of dishes have been satisfactorily aligned without professional equipment. No problems getting the signal margin to combat rain fade.

I used a proper meter & I adjusted the focus & the skew.

Are you a professional installer? Just so I know who I'm trying to advise. (I'm no pro.)

What 'focus' can you adjust on a Sky dish? And the skew is just numbered presets. Is this an actual zone 2 Sky dish we're dealing with, or what?

Thurston? wrote: »
    Are you a professional installer? Just so I know who I'm trying to advise. (I'm no pro.)

What 'focus' can you adjust on a Sky dish? And the skew is just numbered presets. Is this an actual zone 2 Sky dish we're dealing with, or what?

I am not a pro installer. It's a standard Zone 2 dish. The focus is adjusted by the forward & back adjustment of the LNB. The skew doesn't have presets. In any event I have adjusted both to get the best signal.

I was trying to find out what the typical signal strength would be.

It's a standard Zone 2 dish. The focus is adjusted by the forward & back adjustment of the LNB. The skew doesn't have presets.

I haven't come across a Sky LNB that wasn't basically locked in place apart from the skew 'clicks'.

If you have a mismatched LNB (elliptical Sky dish, LNB for circular dish) that could be the root of your problem but I don't know how you'd end up with this unless you deliberately chose not to use the Sky LNB.

Maybe post a pic. of what you have.

• Advertisement
Advertisement