Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sattelite Dish no box.

• 30-10-2014 11:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭

Wondering if someone can help me out and forgive me for such basic questions as I know little or nothing about Satellite TV.

We just moved into a new house which had a dish mounted and cables running into the house.

Is there an easy way to find out what is available on the dish, what box I would need to get it and if I need to do anything specific with the 3 cables? e.g. if they needed to be crimped with anything in particular or?

Sorry for the vagueness!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

You would need a satellite receiver of some kind. If you don't have a box, there's a possibility your TV might have a satellite tuner you're unaware of: what's the make & model of your TV(s)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭limnam

Thurston? wrote: »
    You would need a satellite receiver of some kind. If you don't have a box, there's a possibility your TV might have a satellite tuner you're unaware of: what's the make & model of your TV(s)?

Can I just buy any receiver?

It's an oldish sony bravia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

You could buy any satellite receiver but you might want to put a bit of thought into features, as these can vary even among basic STBs. You won't get the Irish channels for free from the typical dish setup for UK channels, so you might want a combi satellite/terrestrial receiver for Saorview reception: the 3rd cable in your house may or may not be from a terrestrial aerial. Other features to consider would be recording ability & availability of a decent programme guide.

Some older Sony TVs did have satellite tuners: can't think of the model no. offhand but, there would be a screw type connector labeled 'Satellite/LNB in' or similar. This is a female f-connector & the male variant is fitted to the end of the cable from the dish. All modern satellite receivers use f-connectors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,245 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Your cheapest option is a 2nd hand sky box....the older ones, not the sky+HD box.
    Usually on adverts for around €25 or less.
    http://www.adverts.ie/satellite/sky-box/6735587

This would start you off and give you all the Freesat channels.

Advertisement