Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feline Warriors of WWI

Options
  • 22-08-2014 9:15pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭

On interesting article on cats and their role in WWI
    "
    These Are the Brave and Fluffy Cats Who Served in World War I
    Throughout the "war to end all wars," cats were a common sight in the trenches and aboard ships, where they hunted mice and rats. Beyond their "official" duties, they were also embraced as mascots and pets by the soldiers and sailors with whom they served.
    " - http://io9.com/a-gallery-of-cats-who-served-in-world-war-i-1624713212

Some of the comments are interesting for Lol cat fans.
    ltjnxsjydm4pbzuaqsl7.jpg

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

Jesus Christ. This Forum has gone to sh*t :(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Jesus. wrote: »
    Yeah - some recent posters have taken useless and vacuous comments to new depths.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

Jesus. wrote: »

In relation to your recent progression to posting on the forum, you may have some logic behind your post quoted. Other than that you earn a 1 week ban for trolling.

In relation to OP, the topic is an interesting side story to WWI, thanks for posting it.

Regards
    Moderator.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

In the rat-infested trenches of WW1, where these rodents would often subsist on a diet that comprised mainly of decaying human flesh, anything that would keep down their numbers was to be encouraged. Getting bitten by one was sure-fire major infection time.

My late Great Uncle Jack told me once of impaling four rats at once on his bayonet as they feasted on an arm sticking out of the side of the trench that he and his pals were occupying.

In addition to the obvious use of a cat as a rat-hunter, anything that could take your mind off the appalling carnage going on around you would heve been very welcome - caring for an animal of any kind is very therapeutic in that regard.

tac

Advertisement