Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade Portable DVD firmware?

Options
  • 30-04-2014 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭

Hiya,
    I have a small 7" portable Sony DVD player. I never actually play DVD's in it, I connect a USB key to play movies from that. However, it doesn't play any .mp4 files, which most of my other devices can no problem. Is there any way to upgrade the firmware on the DVD player so it can do this? There's no interface other than the USB port, so its difficult to imagine its possible

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Hey, noticed you haven't gotten a reply, so will give you a surface level answer. Generally speaking, these sorts of devices have a proprietary operating system that doesn't really have any sort of support base or group of people with an interest in actually reverse engineering/understanding what's going on underneath. Also, having USB access doesn't necessarily mean you have access to the memory on which the system itself is stored, so flashing a new operating system may only be possible by ripping out the circuit board and connecting to this memory directly, which is a bit hacky and not exactly worth the time and effort. Then you have to hope that there is enough processing power for this new functionality, and that is probably the reason MP4 didn't get the support on the device! So highly unlikely this is possible :(

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭kelbal

OK, thanks for the info, I'll just put up with it!

Advertisement