Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

"Swallow The Anchor"

Options
  • 17-04-2012 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

My late grandfather's military history is something of a mystery. He would occasionally say "I was a fool, I swallowed the anchor".

Anyone care to have a pop at what this means?

He had 2 anchor tattoos which suggests some naval involvement. It seems he enlisted with the British Army in Ballykelly in WW2 where presumably he was involved with RAF Coastal Command. What's the best path to go about getting more information please? I've registered for the free trial with familylink.com but there's no info about this period that I can find.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

Googled it and I got: " 'Swallowing The Anchor’ is an old maritime term that infers an irrevocable move back ashore from the sea."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

I'd be terrified to google that term particularly when sailors are involved ;)

No disrespect to the grandfather.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭KickstartHeart

My best guess would be, he's referring to it being like swallowing a hook for a fish. Swallow the bate and your'e caught for good. By changing hook to anchor he must mean its like swallowing a hook but in reference to service in the navy.

Have a look here to try and find his name. http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/royal-navy-service.asp

Put a post on this thread and let us know how you get on. I just finished a history degree and I'm big into this stuff :D

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭KickstartHeart

Did a bit of research there. Actually, research is too fancy a word. I just strategically googled.

Turns out your Grandfather regretted leaving the Navy.
    Swallow the Anchor means to retire from the sea.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Apparently it means to surrender to the [military?] police. Did he go AWOL (in the Free State) and go home again or was he involved in some nefarious affair that got him a spell in the glass-house?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

It's a common parlance still in use today, it simply means leaving the sea and taking up a job/life ashore.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭telecaster

thanks all.

There was a few different interpretations of the phrase on google.

I'm going to send his death cert to the British Ministry of Defence and they will release details of his time with them. This will hopefully help put a few more pieces in to what is a rather incomplete jigsaw. WW2 documents are not due to be released to those other than kin until 2020.

His is a strange story in that he was 38 when he enlisted. I expect for economic reasons.

Advertisement