Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CHEMICAL FREE PREGNANCY

Options
  • 17-07-2014 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi

I have recently found out that i am pregnant and would like to try and have a chemical free pregnancy. There is so many things i use in my daily life that i need to change. So i need some help I am looking for names of some products: Looking for shampoo & conditioner, Make-up and Perfume. I also have a wedding coming up and would like some tips on Fake Tan and hair colour.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

How are you going to choose which chemicals to avoid?

Also, because something is plant or animal based, does not make it safe for pregnancy. Too much vitamin A for example is not advised during pregnancy.

Ps, water is a chemical.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

HollyGC wrote: »
    Hi

I have recently found out that i am pregnant and would like to try and have a chemical free pregnancy. There is so many things i use in my daily life that i need to change. So i need some help I am looking for names of some products: Looking for shampoo & conditioner, Make-up and Perfume. I also have a wedding coming up and would like some tips on Fake Tan and hair colour.

Thanks

Tbh I don't think you can go completely chemical free in pregnancy. Most natural products still use some safe synthetics. And as purple said, some natural products can be more dangerous than non natural products in pregnancy.

That said, I love Aveda for hair care products, and while pricey, I have been going to the salon to get the Aveda colour in where previously I would have used a box from boots.They also do makeup. Burt bees is another great brand, I love their body wash and belly butter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Hi

Thanks

You could do worse than buy a book called The Animal Friendly Shopper. It is designed for vegans and I bought it when my brother became a vegan as it was proving very difficult to shop for his visits! The book covers all sorts of everything from food to shower gels. It cost about €10 and I got it online, can't remember where right now but if you google it I'm sure it will come up for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 HollyGC

Ok you are right maybe i should have worded it differently i would to try be harsh chemical free. Take for example your perfume. Also i would like to try some shampoo that does not contain Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS), Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLES), and Ammonium Laurel Sulfate (ALS). Also things like lip balm contain petroleum jelly which is paraffin which is oil.

I have changed some of the products i use i use Liz Earle products. These are made with essential oil and they are beautiful. They are more expensive but i dont mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

Hi OP, congrats on your pregnancy! yeah pregnancy can be a scary time and you are right to be vigilant. However, a lot of the stuff around us, while they may sound awful, are in such small quantities they are usually ok. IT all depends on the amount. "natural" products can be as harmful as "synthetic" so I wouldn't be fooled by packaging. I personally would be as wary of 'natural' stuff as sythetic, because sometimes the ingredients list isn't clear on exactly what is in there, but that is just me personally.

Can I ask why you want to stay away from SLS etc? They are just detergents and at the levels that they are in soaps etc they aren't harmful, you'd need to drink it to get enough to harm you or baby! All cleaning products like soap or shampoo have some kind of detergent/surfactant in them, otherwise they woudlnt clean, even natural ones.

A couple of things that I would recommend, from my Ob and from my own research:

Any beauty products with salicylic acid or anything with it in the name I would avoid. It is usually in facial washes or scrubs. The reason it sn't advised is that it is a form of aspirin, and you can't take aspirin when pregnant. It brings down inflammation so it is a lot of anti-spot washes. The amounts are small but apparently if you use it every day on your skin it can have an effect. Even if it says "natural", it is the same chemical. check the ingredients of your face wash, cleanser etc, it is in a lot of them. It was in all of mine so I stopped using them and bought others. In the first trimester my skin went a bit hay wire and I could have done with the anti-inflamm SA but I put up with it and my skin calmed down after a while on its own.

Same goes for anything with vitamin A or retinol or something with that in the name. Pregnant women can't eat a lot of vitamin A (a reason not to eat liver or liver products as liver stores vit A). It is used as a signal for development by the baby and too much of it is too much signal. It is in a lot of face/skin creams.

a good article on some beauty produts in pregnancy is http://www.babycenter.com/0_safe-skin-care-during-pregnancy_1490031.bc

Some components of plastics can be harmful for development, especially urinary/genital development in boys, called phthalates. BPA is one of them. They tend to come out of plastics (esp #7 plastics) when they are heated. things to avoid would be heating food in a microwave in plastic tupperware etc (I've switched to glass/pyrex), eating foods from cans as cans are lined with a thin layer of plastic and heated when sterilised (I was eating sardines like mad in 1st trimester for the fish, but switched to fresh fish when I learned this). And processed foods often have high amounts as they can be heated in plastic containers or tubes when being made. They apparently can be stored in fats too. As nearly everything comes in plastic containers, including creams etc, it is impossible to stay away altogether and a small amount is not a problem but limiting exposure when pregnant is a good idea.

here is an article on it
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2014/07/08/phthalates-are-out-of-infants-toys-but-a-heavy-dose-is-still-in-their-food/

I asked my Ob about getting my hair dyed and she said that it wasn't clear if it was safe or not, so she would err on the side of caution. I haven't, but I know others that think it is fine.

You can drive yourself nuts but just being sensible about some things it probably the best way. Good luck!

• Advertisement

Thanks very much madeinamerica that is all very helpful. I know i am afraid of going over board and freaking myself out with everything. Bread soda, essential oil and vinegar are alot of the products i use at the minute to clean my house so not worried about that end of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Cameoette

I love MooGoo products (moisturisers etc), they might be along the lines of what you're looking for?

I second the Aveda recommendation, lovely stuff.

Madeinamerica already mentioned avoiding BPA. I use a 'Bobble' bottle with a filter which I bought just before I found out I was pregnant funnily enough, they are BPA-free and I was so thirsty in my early pregnancy I didn't want to keep reusing plastic bottles in case they weren't BPA-free.

It's hard being pregnant and worrying about what you are exposing yourself too. I worked in a lab for much of mine, freaking-out doesn't cover it!!

Congratulations and hope you a have a lovely pregnancy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

OP you mention essential oils. Tbh I would err on the side of caution with these maybe even more so than some of the things you mention. Research essential oils and aromatherapy oils before using them OP as some are known to possibly bring on early contractions and are contraindicated in pregnancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Cameoette

[QUOTE=Sligo1;91337311 Research essential oils and aromatherapy oils before using them OP as some are known to possibly bring on early contractions and are contraindicated in pregnancy.[/QUOTE]

Yep, I think Clary Sage is one such oil to avoid

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

Ah, I forgot about plastic bottles. Yeah I just have a glass bottle now that I reuse.

I'd second that on essential oils too, I've heard to be wary of them.

Same here Cameoette, I'm still in a lab, oh the stress! I'm like a bloodhound if I smell anything at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Sligo1 wrote: »
    OP you mention essential oils. Tbh I would err on the side of caution with these maybe even more so than some of the things you mention. Research essential oils and aromatherapy oils before using them OP as some are known to possibly bring on early contractions and are contraindicated in pregnancy.

Exactly right. Clary sage for example can cause miscarriage as it precipitates contractions. There are a few that are contraindicated so always double checking alternative therapies with some qualified before use!

Thanks very much madeinamerica that is all very helpful. I know i am afraid of going over board and freaking myself out with everything. Bread soda, essential oil and vinegar are alot of the products i use at the minute to clean my house so not worried about that end of things.

You could ask MrHollyGC to do the cleaning for you too. Win win!

Trust your instincts too, especially at the start. Alcohol, cigarette smoke and bleaches all made me very quesy when I smelled them when pregnant. I took that as a sign to avoid them.

Unfortunetly that same sense of smell told me chocolate and chips were the best thing ever, but there you go!

Thanks everyone. I am qualified therapist so i know about the contraindications with Essential oils. I suppose been a holistic therapist has made me that bit more cautious of harsh chemicals. I had a test done a few years which told me i was mildly allergic to SLS but i guess i just never did anything about it so now is my time.

Thanks Cameoette Had a look at the MooGoo products it looks just what am looking for. Does anyone happen to know a good foundation that doesnt have those things you said madeinamerica. One that i can maybe buy in a shop so i can have a look at the colours. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

I use products from Neways.eu , they are sls and harsh chemical free. I've been using them now for about 2 years. Everything from make-up household cleaning products, shampoos, shower gels, washing powders and supplements. You can check them out on www.neways.eu and use my customer number <snip> They are amazing products. PM me if u want more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Dr hauschka products might also suit you - the blackthorn body oil is great for stretch marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭sionnaic

Hi - I also try to avoid harsh / harmful chemicals as much as possible. It's impossible to avoid them completely but I think every little helps. I have really sensitive skin, and eczema since childhood, which I manage very successfully to the point I haven't had a flare up in years. My advice would be to always read ingredients labels, even if you're buying stuff in a healthshop - don't assume it's automatically free of bad crap just because you're getting it in a healthshop. The amount of "natural" products containing SLS etc is ridiculous (and SLS is harmful, it affects your liver)
    I use:
    - Avalon shampoos & conditioners - by far the best I've found. My favourites are the mint shampoo and the lavender conditioner.
    - Dr Hauschka - loooove these products, though they're pricey. I use their cleansing milk, facial toner, eye cream & face cream (Quince is my favourite, really suits my skin). Plus body moisturiser
    - Bare Minerals Essentials makeup - everything from primer to foundation to eyeshadow etc etc It's so good I've converted my entire family to using it! You can only get it in Brown Thomas or BT2, I've seen it in a few spas/beauticians too, but it can be ordered online from lots of places as long as you know what shades you need. You should try get into BT2 in Dundrum or town to get colour matched the first time and then you can order from whereever you want. Though I think like 80% of typically pale irish women end up with the "fairly light" foundation. I'm quite pale (which I like) and I never wear fake tan, so I use the fairly light but leave off the "warmth" bronzer they recommend. Perfect for everyday, and I wore it to the last wedding I was at and it looked grand I thought!
    - As I said I never wear tan, but I've heard tan organic is an all-natural brand. But whatever you do do NOT try apply it yourself - seriously my friend did for a wedding and oh good God....oomppa loompa does not do it justice!! But I've seen it applied professionally and it looks fine :)
    - Burt's bees soaps and facial cleanser, my sister loves their baby products too especially the nappy cream
    - Ecover house cleaning products
    - My mother and sister absolutely swear by this alternative to washing powder - http://www.ecoegg.com/. I haven't used it myself yet, but my sister has a baby and toddler and says it works brilliantly even on washing their cloth nappy inserts (she doesn't use disposables)

It can be hard to find Avalon & Dr Hauschka products - since the crash the amount of shops stocking them has reduced a lot. So now I end up ordering online all the time - evergreen.ie are who I use all the time, reasonable and very very quick to deliver.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 billybob97

Im trying to be chemical free in my home for another reason other than pregnancy. Im using a great cloth called Energy Wipes for Chemical Free cleaning. You can get info on them on youtube and you can buy on their website. they are irish. If you google Energy Wipe you will get them.

billybob97 wrote: »
    Im trying to be chemical free in my home for another reason other than pregnancy. Im using a great cloth called Energy Wipes for Chemical Free cleaning. You can get info on them on youtube and you can buy on their website. they are irish. If you google Energy Wipe you will get them.

You could probably save yourself the 50 quid they are charging for a plain old facecloth as well, and use your existing facecloths. It's amazing! These cloths clean granite, wood, your face!

Advertisement