Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Struggling to interpret data regarding homosexuality from the World Values Survey.

Options
  • 09-05-2014 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

I know this isn't the forum to go looking for educational help, but I felt that the topic would be of interest to most people on this forum.

So I am writing my final year thesis on homophobia in Russia, and I have come across The World Values Survey. I have been interpreting data that compares attitudes to homosexuals between Russia and The West, and I have chosen a few different countries. However, data has never been my strongest subject, and therefore I am having trouble interpreting the findings, specifically the 'mentioned, not mentioned' dimension.

For example, a comparison between Russia and Germany shows this.

Mentioned: 46.5 %. 22.4 % of Germans would not like to have homosexuals as their neighbours. 66.2 % of Russians would not like to have homosexuals as their neighbours.

Not mentioned: 53.4 %. 77. 6 % of Germans, Russia, 33.6 %.

I just don't understand what they mean by mentioned/not mentioned. I struggle to interpret data. If anyone would like to go onto the world values survey and do a data analysis of Germany and Russia, and choose the survey question ''Would not like to have as neighbours, homosexuals''.

Would anyone like to do that to please help me understand exactly what those results mean?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭CdeC

So the survey question was

Would not like to have as neighbours with a series of answers available in a list including homosexual.

The total mentioned between the two countries was 46.5%. This figure is between the two countries with it being kind of in the middle. This figure is not that insteresting unless you are comparing groups of countries against eachother.

But in Germany out of all the respondants,22.4% wrote homosexual in the space from the list this is the "mentioned" figure. 77.6% did not select homosexual from the list and therefore did not mention it. 22.4% + 77.6% = 100%.

Similarly for Russia except they have higher number of people who selected homosexual and therefore mentioned it at 66.2%.

Hope this helps,

Ciaran

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭DynamiteC101

CdeC wrote: »
    So the survey question was

Thanks so much, that helped so much :). It probably seemed basic, but you're dealing with a complete anti-numbers guy here!

Some very interesting comparisons on that site, unfortunately they haven't sampled Ireland.

Advertisement