Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domino Scheme Vs Going Private Holles Street

Options
  • 23-05-2014 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭

My little brother and his lovely wife are expecting a little bubba - VERY exciting! It will be lovely to have little cousins so close in age! :) She is 6 + 4 today and is trying to decide between the Domino Scheme and going private in Holles Street and she asked me to post a thread about it here. I've done a search but haven't really found a good compare and contrast exercise so would be really grateful to hear form people who have done either/or/both and what they thought/would recommend? She said:

I'd love to hear people's advice. I'm mainly worried about being transferred home too soon, right now I love the idea of an early check-out, so don't have to stay in hospital, but it's hard to know how I'll feel on a first baby, as I have no experience.

Any help hugely appreciated and thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

The one thing to remember about the Domino scheme is you don't have to check out early, if you're not feeling the best you can ask to stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I was very happy with private care. I spent one night on a public ward and one night on a semi private room and I hated them. Your own room on the Merrion Wing is so, so worth the money.
    I had two sections, so I was in for five nights first time and four the second. I honestly would have gone mad on a public ward and even the semi private ward did my head in. I got no sleep and the ratio of staff to patients was dreadful. You don't know whether you'll be in for one night or a week before you have the baby so I was glad I had the chance of a private room and got one both times. I also found obstetric led care a better option for me for other reasons. I think the midwife led schemes only take low risk patients, hence the early discharge rates.
    I also know people who were extremely happy with the Domino scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Merkin wrote: »
    My little brother and his lovely wife are expecting a little bubba - VERY exciting! It will be lovely to have little cousins so close in age! :) She is 6 + 4 today and is trying to decide between the Domino Scheme and going private in Holles Street and she asked me to post a thread about it here. I've done a search but haven't really found a good compare and contrast exercise so would be really grateful to hear form people who have done either/or/both and what they thought/would recommend? She said:

I'd love to hear people's advice. I'm mainly worried about being transferred home too soon, right now I love the idea of an early check-out, so don't have to stay in hospital, but it's hard to know how I'll feel on a first baby, as I have no experience.

Any help hugely appreciated and thanks in advance :)

I did domino in holles street. The original plan was to go to mount Carmel but after a lot of research I felt holles street would be a better option for the baby. Domino books out super quick and even at 6 weeks it may be already booked and she would go on a waiting list! (I was originally on a waiting list!) don't worry if this is the case as I think a third of all patients have to leave the scheme so the chances are that you will be offered a spot if all is going well in the pregnancy. I honestly don't think I could of received any better care with a consultant etc. domino midwives are different to the "normal" midwives! They are very experienced, you will meet most if not all of them before and one will deliver your baby. You can leave as early as 6 hours (if no epi) or 12-24 (if you had epi). You can stay even longer if you feel you need to. The domino midwives will call to your for however long you need them to (we had them for 6 days). I think that that is the real bonus as even if you were private you go home and that's it until your check up and as a first time mum it was great reassurance as they checked my stitches, baby's cord, checked feeding and nappies etc. the only downside to the scheme (which was my fault not theirs!)was I had a crazy amount of visitors when I came out! Literally everyone wanted to see baby and I was so wrecked! Whereas if I was in hospital they couldn't visit me! I would do it again but I would be much stricter with visitors, although they joked that I should do a home birth with them next time lol lol! The appointments are so handy I used to go to see them in Nutgrove and whatever time your appointment is that is the time you are seen. I got loads and loads of scans too. You can also ring them anytime if you are worried. There is no way I would pay for private in a public hospital after my experience with domino! Especially as they may or may not be there. The other thing that annoys me is that even with vhi it crazy money! Now don't get me wrong when I broke my arm I paid thousands in shortfalls in the beacon (but that's another story) but I feel it was money well spent as I needed two operations. The one thing my gp said was remember you are pregnant not sick, woman have been having babies for years blah blah blah you don't need a consultant but need a midwife! He is very pro domino and thinks it should be available to everyone. I had a pretty straightforward pregnancy and a natural birth with no epi maybe my opinion would be different if I needed a section as I would of had to stay 3 days in hospital and then domino midwives visit you.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Sarah Bear

If she wants a nice room to herself then go private. Otherwise save the money!

She's not even guaranteed that nice room to herself if she does go private and you don't get any money back if you don't get the room because you're paying for your consultant care and the insurance company are paying for the bed (which they'll pay for whether you are on a public ward or in a private room).

• Advertisement

Everyone I know who went fully private in Holles St in the past two years got a private room, myself included, even after one night in the SP ward. There's fewer going private and a better chance of getting one. I'd at least like the chance of one.

lazygal wrote: »
    Everyone I know who went fully private in Holles St in the past two years got a private room, myself included, even after one night in the SP ward. There's fewer going private and a better chance of getting one. I'd at least like the chance of one.

With Mount Carmel closed I'd say the chances of getting a private bed in any of the Dublin hospitals has considerably lowered.

January wrote: »
    With Mount Carmel closed I'd say the chances of getting a private bed in any of the Dublin hospitals has considerably lowered.

How many births did MC handle a year? I'd say most transferred to the Coombe as that's where the consultants went rather than Holles St.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

lazygal wrote: »
    How many births did MC handle a year? I'd say most transferred to the Coombe as that's where the consultants went rather than Holles St.

900 afaik. And those are being spread over the 3 maternity hospitals in Dublin. So not a huge increase in comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

olaola wrote: »
    900 afaik. And those are being spread over the 3 maternity hospitals in Dublin. So not a huge increase in comparison.

None of the consultants transferred to Holles St with the closure of Mt Carmel. I'm pretty sure they all transferred to he Coombe. Merkin, will PM u in a bit.
    Meaning to for ages but only ever get a chance to type a couple sentences here and there! Lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

You're a star, thanks a mill xx

olaola wrote: »

Mount Carmel told me they delivered around 5 babies a day max! The consultants have moved to the coombe but for how long who knows! I hear valarie d is leaving in october/November. I know a girl who was fully private in holles street at the end of October (she had complications after the birth) and spent her 3 days on a public ward. I really think it's just hit and miss!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

The Domino scheme is brilliant and I would have used it for 2,3 and 4 if it had have been an option.
    For the 1st you can not beat a room in the Merrion Wing in Holles St ,it is so much more relaxing and so much more pleasant,I could not have stuck 3 days on a ward.
    It is a really hard decision but as the Domino scheme offers early transfer home I think I would save my money and go with the Domino scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭mrsWhippy

Considering the Domino scheme is free of charge, the care you get is top notch, the waiting times are nil (you can see the midwives at the local satellite clinics), and you have the option of early release, I'd definitely go with them, and put the 4k towards buying baby stuff. Remember that if there is any issue at all with the pregnancy, you will be transferred back under hospital care, and under those circumstances, your sister-in-law could choose to go private at that stage.

The midwives are so knowledgeable and will spend plenty of time with you answering even the most silly of questions. I also found the home visits afterwards absolutely critical to us getting the breastfeeding sorted. Highly recommended. I couldn't wait to get out of the hospital so this was a great facility to have. I had a section btw, and got home after 2 nights.

I am gutted I'm not eligible this time around :(

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Leinster1980

Can you use Domino if you go semi private? I have to call holles street today to make my first appointment

Can you use Domino if you go semi private? I have to call holles street today to make my first appointment

No, Domino is a public service.

Thanks so much everyone for all your amazing advice for my SIL, she really appreciates it. :) She has registered for the Domino scheme but now has an additional query. She is hoping for a natural birth without an epidural but has an open mind that this might be needed come labour time! If the Domino scheme is midwife led, what happens in the event that she would like pain relief that needs to be administered by an anesthetist? Thanks!

Thanks so much everyone for all your amazing advice for my SIL, she really appreciates it. :) She has registered for the Domino scheme but now has an additional query. She is hoping for a natural birth without an epidural but has an open mind that this might be needed come labour time! If the Domino scheme is midwife led, what happens in the event that she would like pain relief that needs to be administered by an anesthetist? Thanks!

I can find this out for u today Hun. I would assume if she wants an epi she would need to be admitted to the hospital tbh. Will let u know after 4pm today :).

They just call the anesthetist and they give it to you. There is no issue, my friend had the epi on domino holles street. Midwives can give you pethidine though

Yep, they just call the anesthetist, you'll officially be back under consultant led care but unless there is a prob, only midwives will be present at the birth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭xalot

^^ as above. Plus if the birth is complication free she can go back to midwife led care after the birth, i.e. early discharge and visits at home by midwife.

Even though I didn't get to give birth with the Domino Scheme (had an induction) I highly recommend it.

I'm reading posts all wrong today! Lol. Thought op meant during a home birth.... Is it possible to still have baby brain after 9 weeks??

Sligo1 wrote: »
    I'm reading posts all wrong today! Lol. Thought op meant during a home birth.... Is it possible to still have baby brain after 9 weeks??

I hear it's permanent :D I meant in Holles Street although I wasn't clear from my post anyway! Will PM x

January wrote: »
    Yep, they just call the anesthetist, you'll officially be back under consultant led care but unless there is a prob, only midwives will be present at the birth.

Just checked this. Anaesthetist will give epidural but you would still be under the dominos and the midwives will still do your postnatal home visits and all. Apparently you wouldn't be transferred to
    Consultant care.

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Just checked this. Anaesthetist will give epidural but you would still be under the dominos and the midwives will still do your postnatal home visits and all. Apparently you wouldn't be transferred to
    Consultant care.

Brilliant to hear :)

Really appreciate it, thanks xx

Really appreciate it, thanks xx

Sorry I thought I posted earlier but I must have baby brain too :)
    It is no big deal getting epi on holles street domino, I know a girl who got it delivered baby at 7am and was home at 8pm domino midwives then called to her for 7 days. If you deliver late at night you will need to stay till 9am regardless of getting epi or not as the paediatrician has to check your baby.A lot of people get epi on domino in holles street, they were actually all shocked I didn't get it as they said majority will opt for it on first baby. The midwife just pages the anaesthetist, they had to page them for me as they thought I might need to get an emergency section but thankfully I didn't :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 MaryBelle77

Hi everyone, I'm 9 weeks gone on my first baby. Excited but finding it hard to make a decision on public versus semi-private versus the Domino scheme. I've heard great things about Domino but my biggest concern is that I hear they're not very forthcoming with the epidural and so my GP suggested that I may be better not to go with that scheme.
    Does anyone know if they try to hold off giving you an epidural?
    Also, if you go semi-private can you stay in hospital for the 3 nights or do they only keep you in if you medically need it. I'm just nervous about the whole thing and being sent home too early or unprepared! Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭mrsWhippy

Hi everyone, I'm 9 weeks gone on my first baby. Excited but finding it hard to make a decision on public versus semi-private versus the Domino scheme. I've heard great things about Domino but my biggest concern is that I hear they're not very forthcoming with the epidural and so my GP suggested that I may be better not to go with that scheme.
    Also, if you go semi-private can you stay in hospital for the 3 nights or do they only keep you in if you medically need it. I'm just nervous about the whole thing and being sent home too early or unprepared! Thanks!

I'm in the semi-p system now after having gone Domino first time around. I absolutely can recommend the midwives who are so far above and beyond what I have experienced through semi-p. I waited 2 hours in Holles St on thurs for literally 4 minutes with the consultant. There was never any waiting in Domino and I had all the time in the world to chat and ask questions and be reassured. So *so* important for a first baby.

I ended up with a section last time but was told there'd be no issues with an epi if I had needed one.

There is absolutely no contest if you are a low risk patient, Domino all the way!

• Advertisement

Did domino in holles street and you can have the epi no problem so I don't know where your gp got that info. The two other girls I know got it no issues. They will tell you at your special domino ante natal classes (in the evening no charge and only 2 seesions) that taking the epi could slow everything down but honestly if you feel you need it, get it, there are no gold medals handed out at the end! Lol lol

Advertisement