Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Risk of violence in rural Ireland?

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

We rarely kiss or hold hands in public, even in the States. The one big exception is if I'm outside our house when my partner comes home from work, then I give him a kiss outside. But our neighbors already know about us and don't have a problem.

The one thing we were going to try to consciously avoid while traveling is that we usually call each other "Sweetie", but we are going to try to use names instead. This feels stiff and formal, but also feels safer. We do this when traveling to other English-speaking places, so it wouldn't be a special effort for Ireland.

By the way, part of my apprehension comes from having spent some time (working) in Ireland in the early 80s. (Now I'm showing my age.) This was long before I met my spouse. I had just come out of the closet in the States, but when I got to Ireland, which was still very Catholic, I was scared back into the closet. I haven't been back to Ireland since, but I know it's changed for the better.

I have a feeling it's going to be fine. And we do intend to visit Sligo and Galway on day trips. It's just that my father and I have family roots in Mayo, so that's where we'll be based.

Galway city will be grand.

The country side might be different. I dont mean anything bad like they will chase you with pitch forks or something. You may get a few questionable looks thats all, although id be cautious in a country pub. Some parts of galway and mayo are still living in the 40's and 50's kind of way.

Werent two men thrown out of a pub in cork there a few years ago for kissing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Caiseoipe19

Roquentin wrote: »

The country side might be different. I dont mean anything bad like they will chase you with pitch forks or something. You may get a few questionable looks thats all, although id be cautious in a country pub. Some parts of galway and mayo are still living in the 40's and 50's kind of way.

Werent two men thrown out of a pub in cork there a few years ago for kissing though.

:rolleyes: What places in Mayo and Galway, and in exactly what sense are they "still living in the 40's and 50's kind of way"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

Those stories invariable have more than one side. The last people who claimed to be kicked out of somewhere for showing some affection were caught on CCTV wrecking the place if I recall.

Sometimes, drunk people will either recollect things incorrectly and believe they were in the right when they clearly weren't, or else just play the gay card for attention.

:rolleyes: What places in Mayo and Galway, and in exactly what sense are they "still living in the 40's and 50's kind of way"

The last time i was in connemara i couldnt get the internet. That was a year and half ago.

floggg wrote: »
    Those stories invariable have more than one side. The last people who claimed to be kicked out of somewhere for showing some affection were caught on CCTV wrecking the place if I recall.

Sometimes, drunk people will either recollect things incorrectly and believe they were in the right when they clearly weren't, or else just play the gay card for attention.

My bad

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

The last time i was in connemara i couldnt get the internet. That was a year and half ago.
    Lol, I would wager most pubs don't have Wifi! That's not anything to do with being backwards, just means the owner would like to think the customers can survive without constantly checking their phones :P

Cydoniac wrote: »
    Lol, I would wager most pubs don't have Wifi! That's not anything to do with being backwards, just means the owner would like to think the customers can survive without constantly checking their phones :P

In this day and age, those who do not provide internet service should be put in jail.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

More like 1990s than 1950s tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭the blunder years

To the OP, there will be no issue made about your sexuality. Rural Ireland isn't some backwater in the dark ages, the areas are quaint not the people.

Aard wrote: »
    More like 1990s than 1950s tbh.

I agree. I may have exaggerated it slightly :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭diograis

the story behind the pub in question is gas actually, apparently they ended up letting in a load of skangers who'd act all camp to the bouncer and all sorts because they were afraid of seeming prejudiced :P the pub is actually good, i was there last week!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

eviltwin wrote: »
    We have LGBT officers now? Do you mean in the gardai? When did that happen!!

They've been around about 10 years

The list of them is on the right hand side

www.garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=154

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Don't go OP, boggers can't be trusted.

Orizio wrote: »
    Don't go OP, boggers can't be trusted.

It could turn out like Wolf Creek or something

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭pugwall

OP you and your hubby will be fine - no one will bat an eyelid. The only attention you will get will be from the locals swooning after your Boston accents :)

This reminds me (don't know why) of the time myself and my BF (now fiancee - yay!) went to Cork for a romantic weekend 10 years ago. We were in our early 20's at the time. The only discrimination we experienced was from the doorman at the gay bar/club called instinct. We were refused entry.. why??? because it was a gay bar! He did't believe that we were gay. Ireland always amazes and surprises me :)

Enjoy your trip.

Pugs

Advertisement