Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco - and their non-existent "Special Offers"

Options
  • 12-09-2012 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭

Ok Tesco, you bug me

Champagne supposedly on Special offer last week at 2 for €25.00, they never got one bottle into the Wexford Store (2nd biggest in Ireland), not a drop

2100g Chickens are supposed to be on offer at €3.74 from today and not one is sight.

So Tesco, what are you up to? Why aren't you supplying the goods to Wexford Store:mad:

Bah !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Zhane

vicwatson wrote: »
    Ok Tesco, you bug me

Champagne supposedly on Special offer last week at 2 for €25.00, they never got one bottle into the Wexford Store (2nd biggest in Ireland), not a drop

2100g Chickens are supposed to be on offer at €3.74 from today and not one is sight.

So Tesco, what are you up to? Why aren't you supplying the goods to Wexford Store:mad:

Bah !

*Terms and Conditions apply. While Stock Lasts. Some stores vary. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

You should probably write letters to the Store Manager and to Head Office.

But in reality, if the market demand for those products isn't there in Wexford, then they won't bring them in.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Zhane wrote: »
    *Terms and Conditions apply. While Stock Lasts. Some stores vary. ;)

Ha ! I like the While Stock Lasts bit, if there was stock in the store in the first place !!

dudara wrote: »

But in reality, if the market demand for those products isn't there in Wexford, then they won't bring them in.

It's not about market demand, they had/have the prices on the shelf and the advertising blurb, they just don't get the products in.

I was told that their system told them they were getting in 70 cases on Thursday last and 14 cases on Friday - none arrived into the store and the guys there were exasperated, he said loads of people were in looking for it but there was nothing they could do, all their stock is trucked in every night and all arranged from Cardiff in Wales. The manager was as frustrated. Ridiculous stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

all their stock is trucked in every night and all arranged from Cardiff in Wales. The manager was as frustrated. Ridiculous stuff.

Someone's telling you porkies. Most of stock is dispatched from the gigantic central distribution warehouse just outside Balbriggan.

I'd say there's an error somewhere in their system, even the small Kildare Town store had good quanity of this muck - btw, it is no where near the quality of a €40 bottle, but is good value at 2 for €25, but don't expect to be amazed by it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Merger

Nah, Its really up to each store to supply the special offers.

they may have seen the opportunity to bring something else in, Instead, Or they may have simply not had the room for that product. Like the drinks offer proposed placement may have gone against their "no alcoholic product facing a food product" Rule then it gets chucked.

The manager for that department selects what special offers and products they would like to supply.

Merger wrote: »
    Nah, Its really up to each store to supply the special offers.

they may have seen the opportunity to bring something else in, Instead, Or they may have simply not had the room for that product. Like the drinks offer proposed placement may have gone against their "no alcoholic product facing a food product" Rule then it gets chucked.

The manager for that department selects what special offers and products they would like to supply.

2nd biggest store in Ireland.

Had tonnes of room and empty shelf space in two areas for the champagne.

Management looked at computer and said he expected them into store on at least 3 occasions and was frustrated when they didn't get them.
    Someone's telling you porkies. Most of stock is dispatched from the gigantic central distribution warehouse just outside Balbriggan

Was told by Tesco that what's sent to the stores is planned in Cardiff. Goods might physically leave from an Irish warehouse but the decisions what to send and where to send them is made by Tesco Cardiff.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Merger

2nd biggest doesn't mean anything if they feel they can make a profit from a different product!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Aldi and lidl do this as well, they advertise wonder offers but only have a few of each in store.

So the general public read of these wonderful offers that appear to be available but i reality they are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

If the manager of Wexford cant get the stock, it cant be gotten!!

If 50 cases of a product are allocated to a 25 stores and each store sells out on the day it is delivered and there is 200 cases left in the depot for replenishment, the balance of stock will go to the stores that register the sales first on a first come, first served basis.

In short, offer sells faster than depot can get stock out.

The offer will probably end early.

• Advertisement

Surprise surprise its back in store at 19.99 (reduced from 39.99 - that's a lie anyway):rolleyes:

Shelflife wrote: »
    Aldi and lidl do this as well, they advertise wonder offers but only have a few of each in store.

So the general public read of these wonderful offers that appear to be available but i reality they are not.
    wmpdd3 wrote: »
    If the manager of Wexford cant get the stock, it cant be gotten!!

If 50 cases of a product are allocated to a 25 stores and each store sells out on the day it is delivered and there is 200 cases left in the depot for replenishment, the balance of stock will go to the stores that register the sales first on a first come, first served basis.

In short, offer sells faster than depot can get stock out.

The offer will probably end early.

Wexford store NEVER got it in. NEVER got it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Wexford store NEVER got it in. NEVER got it in.

Thats even better, advertise a fantastic price , then when the customer wants to buy it just tell them that its all sold out, you pick up some other groceries while youre there and they dont lose any money on selling the product so cheap.

and everyone that reads the ad marvels at the great offers and it reinforces the myth as to how cheap they are.

Shelflife wrote: »
    Thats even better, advertise a fantastic price , then when the customer wants to buy it just tell them that its all sold out, you pick up some other groceries while youre there and they dont lose any money on selling the product so cheap.

and everyone that reads the ad marvels at the great offers and it reinforces the myth as to how cheap they are.

Eh sorry, I understand the marketing aspect to it but Tesco suck - some places got it in, see thread title :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Surprise surprise its back in store at 19.99 (reduced from 39.99 - that's a lie anyway):rolleyes:

I'd say they're within the legal boundaries.
    The guidelines (there's no exact law on this) are that the higher price quoted must have been in effect for a continuous period of 28 days at any time during the previous 3 months.
    http://www.nca.ie/nca/price-promotions

Also, because they have multiple stores the higher price quoted can be from a significant number of their other branches. So just because it was never on sale for that price (or any price) at your branch doesn't mean they're lying.

slimjimmc wrote: »
    I'd say they're within the legal boundaries.
    The guidelines (there's no exact law on this) are that the higher price quoted must have been in effect for a continuous period of 28 days at any time during the previous 3 months.
    http://www.nca.ie/nca/price-promotions

Also, because they have multiple stores the higher price quoted can be from a significant number of their other branches. So just because it was never on sale for that price (or any price) at your branch doesn't mean they're lying.

Therein lies the abuse - "a significant number of their other branches." how in the hell can an individual tell if a product has been at a higher price in a SIGNIFICANT number of other branches for 28 days in the previous 3 months. It's quite impossible for even the NCA to determine that.:mad:

It should be that it has had to be at the higher price for 28 days in individual stores whether they have mutiple branches or not IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

Therein lies the abuse - "a significant number of their other branches." how in the hell can an individual tell if a product has been at a higher price in a SIGNIFICANT number of other branches for 28 days in the previous 3 months. It's quite impossible for even the NCA to determine that.:mad:

It should be that it has had to be at the higher price for 28 days in individual stores whether they have mutiple branches or not IMO.

Still makes no odds as its a GUIDELINE - they don't have to have it on sale anywhere at 39.99.

Never ever believe any wine sign that says half price - the margin simply isn't in it and tesco don;t sell this stuff below cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

dudara wrote: »

But thats not true either, my local Tesco had a very high demand for tiger loaf bread, would literally be sold out within an hour of being placed on the shelf,

they have stopped selling it now, because "there was no demand in shops up the country" :confused:

explain that one?? because it sounds ridiculous to me. like wise, other products have been discontinued due to "lack of demand" (its what the staff are being told) despite the staff knowing these products are flying off the shelves.

are they just having supplier problems to stay stock is diminishing?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

erm, i don't think wexford is even the 10th biggist tesco in ireland??????

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Possedion

many large stores do this. they get you in with a view to buying other crap..
    "oh I'm in so I may as well get the milk" :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,055 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

I used to work for Tesco and promotional allocations were only plentiful if the supplier was taking the hit to provide it. When they weren't - as in it was a Tesco price reduction off their own back the allocations would be woeful.

I remember a 50% off all pampers promotion that we were given 1 case of nappies for each size as an allocation. Promotion was sold out within 5 minutes of store opening (not to mention the amount of them that appeared on staff transactions)

Quick edit - Wexford is a Tesco Extra but in turnover it is nowhere near 2nd biggest in Ireland.

I used to work for Tesco and promotional allocations were only plentiful if the supplier was taking the hit to provide it. When they weren't - as in it was a Tesco price reduction off their own back the allocations would be woeful.

I remember a 50% off all pampers promotion that we were given 1 case of nappies for each size as an allocation. Promotion was sold out within 5 minutes of store opening (not to mention the amount of them that appeared on staff transactions)

Quick edit - Wexford is a Tesco Extra but in turnover it is nowhere near 2nd biggest in Ireland.

Didn't mean turnover, meant in size.

Fair enough - I'm not sure size wise it is 2nd biggest but that's not really relevant. It's a big enough store to expect to be allocated / stocking all special offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Zhane

erm, i don't think wexford is even the 10th biggist tesco in ireland??????

Its pretty big!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

go have a look at portlaoise, balbriggan, maynooth, drogheda, naas, clarehall, clearwater.

naas is a bloody monstor!

go have a look at portlaoise, balbriggan, maynooth, drogheda, naas, clarehall, clearwater.

naas is a bloody monstor!

Wexford is in the middle of that group size wise. Wexford is approx 80,000 sq ft, naas is over 100,000 with balbriggan and maynooth not too far behind. Drogheda, clarehall and clearwater are in the 60,000-70,000 area.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭madanall

Tesco Naas is the biggest Tesco Hypermarket in Europe. Wexford doesn't come near it in size.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

For what's it's worth, Merrion Tesco had the 3.74 chickens.

And it was delicious.

madanall wrote: »
    Tesco Naas is the biggest Tesco Hypermarket in Europe. Wexford doesn't come near it in size.

You're missing the point of the thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

madanall wrote: »

Off topic.....Biggest in Europe is Walkden in England, its 185,000 sq/ft

Advertisement