Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CB ariels

• 20-05-2012 11:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,461 ✭✭✭✭

What's with the CB ariels are we using them again.Come back good buddy.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

OP, I haven't seen any increase around my part of Dublin.
    EH...........what's your 10-20 there kneemos?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

10-4 I've noticed it too ! Especially down the country. Seems they are making a comeback - over ! BEEP ! :)

Rolled Gold !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭Damokc

I think its something boy racers to on there cars so they can pick up better voltage......
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTdLIRMsSX6sBdYw1w7PgX8-Bpu8fDc9mfktPsUS1EEMX3oFMHpRg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭deandean

Damokc wrote: »
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTdLIRMsSX6sBdYw1w7PgX8-Bpu8fDc9mfktPsUS1EEMX3oFMHpRg
    The Daleks are back :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Mostly on carvans, farmers yokes and Felty cars laaaaaaaaad

All part of another scene hai

002freher0084.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭alanmc

It's a little OT, but something that just popped into my head: Does anybody know if the law governing the use of mobile phones while driving covers CB radio usage as well?

I'm not suggesting this is why they appear to be making a comeback. As I said, it's just something I wondered when I read the OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

CB radios have made a certain level of comeback in some parts of dublin and other counties.

a lot of it is related to street racing and the movement of illegal substances

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

alanmc wrote: »
    It's a little OT, but something that just popped into my head: Does anybody know if the law governing the use of mobile phones while driving covers CB radio usage as well?

I'm not suggesting this is why they appear to be making a comeback. As I said, it's just something I wondered when I read the OP.

There is a law governing the use of a hand held mobile phone while driving. This came up last year on this forum and someone posted a link to the section concerning this. It seems the minister "may" in the future consider making it illegal but as far as I know it hasn't happened yet. So the answer is no it's not illegal to use a radio microphone.

However CBs that use the AM 27MHz band are illegal and have been for quite a few years now I think.

This is a similar thread with a quote from the law.

Ken

what wheels are those on the Carina?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

ZENER wrote: »
    There is a law governing the use of a hand held mobile phone while driving. This came up last year on this forum and someone posted a link to the section concerning this. It seems the minister "may" in the future consider making it illegal but as far as I know it hasn't happened yet. So the answer is no it's not illegal to use a radio microphone.

However CBs that use the AM 27MHz band are illegal and have been for quite a few years now I think.

This is a similar thread with a quote from the law.

Ken

In the link you gave us, there is quotation from road traffic act 2006, which claims minister may make regulations in relation to prohibition of using it.
    But that definitely doesn't mean it's prohibited as all poster in that thread believed after seeing that quotation.
    So I assume you are 100% right saying it is not illegal to use CB radio while driving.

Now - what's the case with AM band? Where is the prohibition of using it? (it this some radiocommunication act or sth)?

Also does that mean if my CB radio had an option to use both FM or AM, then I cannot use it at all, or maybe whenever it's switched to FM then I'm grand?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

CiniO wrote: »
    Also does that mean if my CB radio had an option to use both FM or AM, then I cannot use it at all, or maybe whenever it's switched to FM then I'm grand?

just like your mobile phone is capable of transmitting on the 1900mhz band but doesnt here, if your CB does FM you can use it on FM regardless of its other capabilities

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,461 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

OP, I haven't seen any increase around my part of Dublin.
    EH...........what's your 10-20 there kneemos?:D

Got a smokie on my tail and a pedal to the metal. Headin for the border big dog... over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

Look out for the 10-73 at Nashville there good buddy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

They should allow for UHF CB's in Ireland like the boyos in australia use. Far better range off them apparently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Ya wanna be careful using CB's these days Cottonmouth, I hear they've even got a 'Bear In The Air'! :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,461 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Look out for the 10-73 at Nashville there good buddy!

Be sure to back her down when i get near the Guitar 10-4 BD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Damokc wrote: »
    what wheels are those on the Carina?

I haven't a clue but I'd start at looking at Rota :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

I don't see an issue with them, if they are actually being used

I wanted to get one for ATWR and would happily put it on my car

If you're getting it for racing or whatever, then you're an idiot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭deaglan169

the only CB you can use legally in ireland is a 40ch AM on the EU band as its known basically what the truckers use, but no one will bother you or chase you if you use a FM or SSB radio, but the law is a bit shady on using them yes they are except but if the guards believe that you operating the radio is infringing on your driving abilty you can be done for driving without due care and attention

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

ZENER wrote: »
    Ken
    deaglan169 wrote: »
    the only CB you can use legally in ireland is a 40ch AM on the EU band

So what's the story in the end?
    Is it AM or FM which is illegal?

• Advertisement

dgt wrote: »
    I haven't a clue but I'd start at looking at Rota :)

Holy moly! Just googled rota Wheels and went to images....a very unhealthy amount of fuct alloy pictures! Note to self never to get Rota wheels!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭deaglan169

actually both are legal now i think about it once used on cept eu band only 26.965-27.405mhz

Advertisement