Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Looking for new economic car

Options
  • 23-05-2011 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭

Hi,

my 2nd car is a '99 Renault Megane RS and it showing signs of wear 'n' tear so I'm searching for a NEW fuel efficient car, small 5-door will do as my round trip to work is only 30km a working day - straight run. I bought a diesel Megane last year under the scrappage scheme and I want to avail of the scrappage scheme for this car before it runs out next month. My budget is up to 10k.
    I suppose I won't get a diesel in that price range and electric still too expensive.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

fiat panda!

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭vedwards

Just popped into my local Renault dealer on way home to enquire about the Clio with scrappage - basic model - non metalic - quoted 10k - €8,990 on Renault web site. :eek:.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,150 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Fiat 500 1.2 - €9,995
    Hyundai i20 1.2 - €9,995
    Kia Picanto 1.0 - €8,500
    Ford Ka 1.2 - €9,865
    Toyota Aygo 1.0 - €7,995
    Nissan Pixo 1.0 - €7,900

All exclude metalic paint and delivery charges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Eleganza

aygo with 3 years free servicing and years tax looks good. it will hold it's value better

I'd still prefer a panda.

Thanks bazz26 for the list. Eleganza: Thanks, I never would have considered FIAT as an option. That's 2 votes for the PANDA.:)
    I see on another thread today that the Toyota offer has long expired.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

vedwards wrote: »
    Thanks bazz26 for the list. Eleganza: Thanks, I never would have considered FIAT as an option. That's 2 votes for the PANDA.:)
    I see on another thread today that the Toyota offer has long expired.
    I was considering a new PANDA on scrappage but decided on a S/H TDI Golf instead.

The new fiats aren't anything like the old 8V puntos used to be. Also the (claimed) c.50MPG from a petrol, and low tax/insurance is not to be sniffed at.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

vedwards wrote: »
    Just popped into my local Renault dealer on way home to enquire about the Clio with scrappage - basic model - non metalic - quoted 10k - €8,990 on Renault web site. :eek:.

Strange, My parents traded in a Nissan Primera 08 T-Spec in for a new clio around January or February and Paid 6K for it. Gold metallic paint and alloys.

Strange, My parents traded in a Nissan Primera 08 T-Spec in for a new clio around January or February and Paid 6K for it. Gold metallic paint and alloys.
    The Primera '08 was obviously a good trade in whereas I'm looking for scrappage of a fairly tired '99 Megan RS.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,389 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

So they paid 6 grand and gave the dealer the 08 primera?
    How badly did they need an 11 reg?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    So they paid 6 grand and gave the dealer the 08 primera?
    How badly did they need an 11 reg?

The primera was a crash-repair car that they got for 15k in 2008 but my mother who would be driving the car does small mileage so decided to trade for a more fuel efficient car. They also didn't want to be paying 800 or so quids worth of tax instead of 156.

• Advertisement

Suppose they got the nissan handy enough in 08.
    It'd kill me to do that to save €10 a week in tax :-(

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Suppose they got the nissan handy enough in 08.
    It'd kill me to do that to save €10 a week in tax :-(

It was just the fact that my mother (and now me) doesn't do high mileage and didn't need such a big engine. Since we've got the clio in February or therabouts its only clocked 500kms

€40 worth of petrol like?
    The primera would've used at least €50 :-)

All dealers seem to be quoting higher than the scrappage deals/offers on the brands web site. In the case of Renault dealers said that the Clio advertised for 8990 under the scrappage scheme doesn't really exist :eek:.
    And if they did have one it is very basic.."sure it doesn't even have a radio -ha-ha!"
    Seemingly only a few came into the Country.
    Looks like a new Panda due out later or in 2012 and no more 4x4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Eleganza

The new Panda is going to be ugly looking like the Brazilian FIAT Uno and when you are paying less than 8K the depreciation hit will be small. Parts are cheap. the 1.2 69bhp does better MPG than previous versions; regular 50mpg should be achievable, is quicker than before and costs only 104 euro to tax; those qualities will stand to it.

She who must be obeyed test drove the Panda but no impressed with the styling. The 500 was cool but she wants a 5 door. Looks like the Nissan Micra with bluetooth and a few extras & 5 door has her attention....even if it does mean she's breaking the 10k barrier :rolleyes:. mpg is good also.
    Doing my sums I've come to realise that the car is a costly means of transportation. Like 50 miles is not a long distance but it costs about €6.81 (petrol) to cover (at manufacturers stated mpg) :eek:. Viable electric cars are still a dream, and at avr €30K are out of the ordinary punters price range (now I've probably opened a can of worms with that statement).

Advertisement