Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Practice Swings ? (Why)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭Russman

I think the danger in "routines" is that guys sometimes think they need x amount of practice swings because that's what their routine is. To paraphrase the bould Dr Bob, the idea of the routine is to get your mind in the right place to hit the shot, not to necessarily take 3 practice swings each and every time just for the sake of it or to do the same physical things before every shot. Too many people I see fall into that trap.

Sometimes you can walk up to a shot and just see it immediately and are ready to hit, without any practice swing at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

My swing is so bad that the less of them I do, the better. No practice swing, not standing over the ball waiting for divine inspiration to take the club away. Tee it and grip and rip it.

New golfers should be made to watch Mr Snedeker before they start and be told... "Do as he does!".

• Registered Users Posts: 15,851 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Just seen my daughter cycle for first time on her own - so in a very good mood now.

Class. Just in from the very same with my daughter. She is not quite going on her own yet, but almost :)
    Russman wrote: »
    I think the danger in "routines" is that guys sometimes think they need x amount of practice swings because that's what their routine is. To paraphrase the bould Dr Bob, the idea of the routine is to get your mind in the right place to hit the shot, not to necessarily take 3 practice swings each and every time just for the sake of it or to do the same physical things before every shot. Too many people I see fall into that trap.

Sometimes you can walk up to a shot and just see it immediately and are ready to hit, without any practice swing at all.

That's pretty much what I was saying earlier on. There must be a Dr Bob inside my own little head :D

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Johnny86

I think one practise swing for tee shots is acceptable for most people and wouldn't begrudge anyone having one. On fairways people should be at their balls (when possible/not in the way) and ready to hit pretty much straight after your playing partners.

Leaving bags in the right place around the greens also helps everything speed up. I find some courses these days have the rough so long that people spend a minute to find any shot that is gone on there...that really slows things up

Advertisement