Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Golf Society 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

Yes, I'll pay up to €10 extra
    24 accepted on teamer at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Yes, I'll pay up to €5 extra
    Just my 2c on the -3 thing. I think it's much tougher for the single figure handicapper to have to play off 3 shots less than the higher handicapper. Off 17, the higher handicap golfer can still afford a blow out or two; the single figure golfer can't afford any mistakes whatsoever.

I think the thing that negates that, is that we're playing off society tees. On average, the tees are 20-30 yards further forward which means ones society handicap *should* be lower than ones official GUI, particularly a lower handicap golfer they're likely to be hitting a lot more wedges into greens.

And I think that's why the -3 is fine for first.

As regards, the 34 points ? I don't think that makes any difference. If you shot 34 points at your home course and won the competition, it's likely the standard scratch would be 31 points, so you'd be getting butchered no matter what. A winning score is a winning score. If you shoot 34 and win the competition in pissing rain, then that is just as impressive as the guy who shoots 41 in brilliant sunshine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Yes, I've money to burn and will pay whatever it takes to play the best courses
    Rikand wrote: »
    I think the thing that negates that, is that we're playing off society tees. On average, the tees are 20-30 yards further forward which means ones society handicap *should* be lower than ones official GUI, particularly a lower handicap golfer they're likely to be hitting a lot more wedges into greens
    Having played in the group directly in front of Ivan I 100% agree that the 20-30 difference has a massive benefit to a long accurate player.

In gowran there were par 4s he musnt have had even a full lob wedge into

• Registered Users Posts: 47 titlebearer

Guys, are you still accepting new members?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Guys, are you still accepting new members?
    We are. Send your details and handicap(if you have one) to charlieIRL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Macker1

I will hopefully bring a new member or two along with me this year. All have GUI Hcap's and love their golf. It will more than likely have to wait till the Feb outing as work is getting very much in the way of golf in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Macker1

Seve OB wrote: »
    Tiger and Macker, I think what bobster is trying to say is that this year he is going to be up your arse :eek:

I always had a sneaky suspicion that someone was stalking me. I suppose that's the price of being famous. :p:p:p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭bobster453

Macker1 wrote: »
    I always had a sneaky suspicion that someone was stalking me. I suppose that's the price of being famous. :p:p:p:p

Stalking purely from a golfing perspective to see what i could learn from a master
    Sorry to burst your bubble Macker :)

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Ben1977

Just got the babysitters sorted for the Portmarnock outing. Going to book into the hotel for 2 nights for some R&R. Herself in the spa and myself on the course. Never played a links so really looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭ryaner777

https://www.treatticket.com/deals/north-dublin/10078 -

Hotel deal there for anyone thinking of doing the same as Ben

I know it's not the portmarnock hotel but it's only a minute up the road

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

My work society operates a very similar system. -3, -2, -1 shots for top 3. We give +1 for 26 points and under for 18+ handicappers and +0.5 for 17 and lower. This system has worked very well for a few years. The proof of it is the large variety of winners we get and nobody seems to complain too much (apart from the predictable groaning when someone shoots 40 points plus).

So as far as I'm concerned that system looks good to me.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Ben1977 wrote: »
    Just got the babysitters sorted for the Portmarnock outing. Going to book into the hotel for 2 nights for some R&R. Herself in the spa and myself on the course. Never played a links so really looking forward to it.

I'm doing the same. Really looking forward to the weekend.

Keano wrote: »
    I'm doing the same. Really looking forward to the weekend.

Photos of the bar look the ideal place to kick off a weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Ben1977 wrote: »
    Photos of the bar look the ideal place to kick off a weekend.

thats it lads, you get locked and have dirty hangovers for the golf so at least you will give the rest of us a chance :eek:

thats it lads, you get locked and have dirty hangovers for the golf so at least you will give the rest of us a chance :eek:

So that's 2 beers for me!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,758 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

ryaner777 wrote: »
    https://www.treatticket.com/deals/north-dublin/10078 -

Hotel deal there for anyone thinking of doing the same as Ben

I know it's not the portmarnock hotel but it's only a minute up the road

By the way lads - the night or night before The Portmarnock outing - I'm going for a few beers in Malahide - so if anyone on for a few let us know.

I'll post it in next thread.

Enjoy morning

4 layers top - 2 below ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Keano wrote: »
    We are. Send your details and handicap(if you have one) to charlieIRL

I've pm'd him also

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Damien_d12

Hi All,

I'd like to sign up this year?
    How can I get on board?

P.s. I sent my details to charlieIRL but have not heard anything back yet.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Damien_d12 wrote: »
    Hi All,

I'd like to sign up this year?
    How can I get on board?

P.s. I sent my details to charlieIRL but have not heard anything back yet.

Sorry, I never got the pm???

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I've pm'd him also

Added there now, apologies. I initially put in the wrong phone number. Can you double check it?

• Advertisement

Have we got any graphic designers out there amongst our society who might be able to help me with a little job

if so, please drop me a PM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Have we got any graphic designers out there amongst our society who might be able to help me with a little job

if so, please drop me a PM

Is that a joke ? What do you need ?

Is that a joke ? What do you need ?

LOL, PM Sent :)

Order of Merit after Portmarnock Outing
    16440232820_fc612f7a6b_o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭3putt

Only one player from last years team in the top ten. It's going to be a though one this year. Well done space.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

3putt wrote: »
    Only one player from last years team in the top ten. It's going to be a though one this year. Well done space.

Ah, links golf sure! When we get the tournaments back out into familiar territory, I'm quite sure the team will be shaken up a bit! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭3putt

Far easier getting out of trees than some of them bunkers yesterday haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,758 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Cant see this team lose - unless we have a Faldo captain.

But captain looks more McGinley like so far.

Cant see this team lose - unless we have a Faldo captain.

But captain looks more McGinley like so far.

No pressure so wha :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

3putt wrote: »

Have to try keep these new faces honest 3putt!

Long way to go though, there'll be plenty of drama in the run up & a tough job for captains picks with a big selection pool

Advertisement