Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

help with thermostat wiring

• 16-11-2014 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    Hoping someone can help me out.
    Im in the process of sorting my heating out,
    Its a fairy new baxi boiler and heating is working fine, had a problem where both motorised valves were broken, one upstairs and one downstairs but I replaced the synchron motors and they are now fine.
    My question is that I currently have two old type thermostats with the temp dial.
    I want to replace these with programable thermostats but I want them to switch the boiler on and off without going near the boiler.
    At the moment I have to use the timer control on the boiler itself.
    The current thermostats only operate the motorised valves.
    Is this possible guys?
    Hope my question made sense, thanks a million in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

The motorised valves have pair of auxiliary contacts that can be used to switch the boiler, but you will have to get some additional wiring done. The aux contacts close when the valve is open, and open when it's closed.

Install the programmable thermostats so that they operate the motorised valves, there may not be any neutrals at the thermostat locations, if not use battery operated thermostats, or add neutral wiring to the thermostats.

Connect all the aux contacts in parallel and run the cable back to the boiler location. They can be then used to enable the boiler when any motorised valve is driven open. The boiler should have a permanent mains connection separately to the control wiring. You will need an RGI if wiring is required inside the boiler enclosure.

If this sounds like too much hassle, there are wireless systems available, but they still need to be wired into the boiler control circuit, for which you need an RGI.

What about hot water - is there a 3rd zone valve for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Wizard

Thanks a million for your reply, no third valve for water,
    there is a double switch where the boiler is to turn off upstairs and downstairs valves so when boiler is on it only heats the water.
    I hope I'm making sense !
    I'm not gonna attempt this myself,
    have an electrician friend who I'm gonna get to do it but wanted to be able to give him a heads up

Advertisement