Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cemeteries in Galway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I don't know how active it is, there is a small one in Castlegar, on the left before you get to the Mail Sorting centre.Here is a link to a google-map. I don't know what its called.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Aoibhinn

churchview wrote: »
    Can't believe I forgot this one.

There's a graveyard behind Una Taffees. Originally there was a monastery or convent (can't remember which) on Castle Street and this was its graveyard.

Obviously very difficult to get to see it now.

Hi Churchview,

This is really interesting, I never knew there was a cemetery behind Una Taaffes or that there was one in Lenaboy Gardens. Are these marked on Ordnance Survey maps? I would guess that the O'Hara graveyard hasn't been used since the early 1920s when they moved from Galway.

Kind regards,

Aoibhinn

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

there are graves in merlin woods, perhaps from Cromwellian times, but no one is sure.
    there is an old graveyard at the back of the abbey, where many of the city fathers are interred.

Aoibhinn wrote: »
    Hi Churchview,

This is really interesting, I never knew there was a cemetery behind Una Taaffes or that there was one in Lenaboy Gardens. Are these marked on Ordnance Survey maps? I would guess that the O'Hara graveyard hasn't been used since the early 1920s when they moved from Galway.

Kind regards,

Aoibhinn

The one in Lenaboy is basically in the middle of an estate, i only know of it myself from drinking up there when i was younger.

I wouldn't call it a cemetery as such, that to me would be a plot of land with headstones, this thing is a high walled trench of sorts with a little ladder up one side leading on top of it.

I'm not sure what it was like on top though, kind of forget now.

http://maps.google.ie/?ie=UTF8&ll=53.263054,-9.074731&spn=0.000704,0.001843&z=19&layer=c&cbll=53.263123,-9.074986&panoid=aScEqq0Lh93QNXHpvn4Z2A&cbp=12,357.28,,1,-5.11

You can kind of make it out there

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Aoibhinn

I am not sure if it has already been mentioned in this discussion, but there is (or there was) a small cemetery at the very end of Dalton Crescent where there is a right of way to the Taylor's Hill Road (next to Ardmore estate). My dad remembers it from his childhood in the 40s and says that the cemetery was located on the Ardilaun Hotel side of the right of way. The recent extensions of the Ardilaun Hotel may have destroyed it, but I am not sure as I haven't used that right of way in over 20 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

The graveyard in Salthill is accessible via the Emerson Avenue. This cul-de-sac is more or less opposite the defunct Sacre Couer Hotel. Drive don this road where you take a right into a small green area. Just before the green area is what can be best described a bit of wasteland. Therein is a walled graveyard.

The Castlegar graveyard is easily accessible from the N17 Tuam Road. It is on the left side of the road as you exit the city, just 100 metres before the main entrance to the Volvo garage and An Post mail centre. The graveyard had a narrow pathway located just beside a dormer style B&B "Rowan House".

Let's not forget the burial ground that is 'hidden' beneath the City Council run car park behind the Cathedral. There a commemorative plaque to let people know that they are parking on a prisoners graveyard which was still used as a burial ground up until the mid 20th century. Many people may not know that the Cathedral is built on the site of Galway Gaol which was still used a prison up until the late 1950's.

ErnieBert wrote: »
    The graveyard in Salthill is accessible via the Emerson Avenue. This cul-de-sac is more or less opposite the defunct Sacre Couer Hotel. Drive don this road where you take a right into a small green area. Just before the green area is what can be best described a bit of wasteland. Therein is a walled graveyard.

The Castlegar graveyard is easily accessible from the N17 Tuam Road. It is on the left side of the road as you exit the city, just 100 metres before the main entrance to the Volvo garage and An Post mail centre. The graveyard had a narrow pathway located just beside a dormer style B&B "Rowan House".

Let's not forget the burial ground that is 'hidden' beneath the City Council run car park behind the Cathedral. There a commemorative plaque to let people know that they are parking on a prisoners graveyard which was still used as a burial ground up until the mid 20th century. Many people may not know that the Cathedral is built on the site of Galway Gaol which was still used a prison up until the late 1950's.

the late fifties are you sure? it was certainly still there, burt I thought it closed in 1940. coould be wrong. there is a book out on women in galway gaol.

Fuinseog wrote: »
    the late fifties are you sure? it was certainly still there, burt I thought it closed in 1940. coould be wrong. there is a book out on women in galway gaol.

Perhaps you are correct? My information is second hand.

My Dad was friends with a lady who was born in Galway Gaol. Her father was a prison officer. When she was a teenager, her parents were allocated a house in Courthouse Square for which they paid a nominal rent which never increased.

She lived in the house up until her passing 3 or 4 years ago when she was in her 80's. She was still paying the same rent that her father was paying when he died.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Meteoric

Fuinseog wrote: »
    Not sure how accurate but
    http://www.kennys.ie/News/OldGalway/05055005-GalwayGaol/
    says it closed in 1939
    http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/20204
    shows the start of the work by Sisk on the cathedral

On topic perhaps if you contacted a local undertaker they would know which cemeteries are still in use? I used to work with a man whose family business was undertaking (in Waterford) and he knew every one in a 50 mile radius

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Aoibhinn wrote: »
    Hi Churchview,

Kind regards,

Aoibhinn

Hi Aoibhinn,

Just see this now so sorry I've not been back to you before this.

You've got directions to the Lenaboy one. Another way to get there is to go in the gates next to the pharmacy which itself is next to Mortons (to the right of the Warwick). Then after about 100 metres, take the first left - (houses on the right hand side of this lane). Go to the end of the lane and there's a gap just to the left of the wall facing you. It's just through the gap, on your right.

Dunno if it or Taffees one are on OS but you can see them on google maps. Wrt Taffees, you can't really see any headstones on google maps. I don't know if there are any still there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,711 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Kinda glad that this thread has opened up again ...

The other day I heard a notice on GBFM about "Mass in [somewhere], funeral afterwards in Barna cemetery".

First I'd heard of one in Barna - anyone know where it is?

Also, while I'm at it, every so often there's a rash of people looking for "Mervue Funeral Home" - anyone know exactly what/where that is? (In my world a funeral home is where a funeral director works from, doesn't seem to be that way here).

JustMary wrote: »
    Kinda glad that this thread has opened up again ...
    The other day I heard a notice on GBFM about "Mass in [somewhere], funeral afterwards in Barna cemetery".
    First I'd heard of one in Barna - anyone know where it is?

It's between O'Grady's Restaurant and Donnelly's Bar, on your left as you head towards the pier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 plentygood

their is a small one (private i think) behind foster place/court estate you need a ladder to look over the wall it is at the back of the old building on college rd which backs up to foster place/ court

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 plentygood

ErnieBert wrote: »
    It's between O'Grady's Restaurant and Donnelly's Bar, on your left as you head towards the pier.
    correction that is on your right when your going down towards the pier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 missymoo.

Does anyone have information on Bolands Land in the Dr Mannix Road/ Glenard area of Salthill... it was the site of a cemetery, two wealthy sisters owned most of the land in this area and part of this was a cemetery apparently known as Boland's Cemetery, I know of the one in Lenaboy its not that..... any info would be great thanks

missymoo. wrote: »
    Does anyone have information on Bolands Land in the Dr Mannix Road/ Glenard area of Salthill... it was the site of a cemetery, two wealthy sisters owned most of the land in this area and part of this was a cemetery apparently known as Boland's Cemetery, I know of the one in Lenaboy its not that..... any info would be great thanks

The current Ardilaun was their home. They were the same family as the flour mills as far as I know.

thanks for that, yes Bolands did live/own the Ardilaun but does that mean that the cemetery that was in the grounds of the Ardilaun Hotel was the site of Bolands Cemetery??? i know bodies were exhumed out of the gardens of the Ardilaun but again not sure where they were finally laid to rest....... one other thing has anyone heard of the locked room in the Ardilaun Hotel ????

http://www.landedestates.ie/LandedEstates/jsp/property-show.jsp?id=1100

Google threw this up.

Persses were distillers. The nuig college bar is now where their distillery was. I suppose the graveyard you're talking about could have been a Persse graveyard?

The room - is that the room that's supposed to be haunted? I wouldn't imagine that the hotel publicises that much!

Hi again,
    Yes it was build for the Persses as the town house ten the bolands took over but that's all I can seem to find about the entire history of the Ardilaun
    The cemetery may have been the persse families resting place but I am still curious to see if bolands cemetery is a separate place as my grandmother had often spoken of it.
    All I know would be it was around the area of the maples.

I was fascinated by the info you have given can't wait to get digging through that, keep it coming you are better than any old Galway book.

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Karona

I live beside the old cemetary in Rahoon. Looks creepy and very old. Heard it goes back to the 1800's. Will have to check it out one of the days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Galwayps

churchview wrote: »
    http://www.landedestates.ie/LandedEstates/jsp/property-show.jsp?id=1100

Google threw this up.

Persses were distillers. The nuig college bar is now where their distillery was. I suppose the graveyard you're talking about could have been a Persse graveyard?

The room - is that the room that's supposed to be haunted? I wouldn't imagine that the hotel publicises that much!

The main Persse distillery used for the majority of their production time was on Nuns island although they used buildings in Newcastle at the start of their production
    some info here

The main distillery was on Earl's Island from 1815 to the mid 1800s. It moved to Nun's Island in approx 1850 when a woollen mill which had originally been a distillery was reconverted back to a distillery by one of the Persses. The business declined in the early 1900s when a young child inherited it.

Distillery Road in Newcastle (where the AIB is) survives as a reminder.

When the current college bar was being built there were continuing rumours of bottles of whiskey being found. Don't know if any turned up though.

Added: Earl's Island is where the College Bar, Corrib Club, Jes Rowing Club are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭bobbyss

There was a very small cemetery in St Anthony's College in Newcastle for the monks. Since the redevelopment of NUIG there, it has disappeared. I wonder what became of those interned? Does anyone know?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Where exactly was it in relation to the Friary building? The college only bought it in 1991 so it is recent enough. Your best bet is to enquire with the Franciscan Order locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭bobbyss

I think it was where there is a car park now. Not the bigger one but the smaller one beside the gates to the student village there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

There i one in Menlo, just beyond the castle..it's a lovely little one and not ancient, AFAIK there are some recent enough graves (that being 10-15 years ago).

Its still in use.

Menlo man, Tommy Lawless was buried there last month after losing a year long battle with cancer. R.I.P.

The cemetery itself was used extensively during the Great Famine in the 1840s during which time the village of Menlo suffered extensive losses to its population. Many of those who died were intered in unmarked graves. Prior to the famine the population of Menlo was larger than it is today.

It is indeed a beautiful resting place, nestled in the woods overlooking the Corrib.

Lapin wrote: »
    Its still in use.

Menlo man, Tommy Lawless was buried there last month after losing a year long battle with cancer. R.I.P.

The cemetery itself was used extensively during the Great Famine in the 1840s during which time the village of Menlo suffered extensive losses to its population. Many of those who died were intered in unmarked graves. Prior to the famine the population of Menlo was larger than it is today.

It is indeed a beautiful resting place, nestled in the woods overlooking the Corrib.

there is a single grave outside the graveyard in the woods from the fire. for older graves there is a dolmen in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Although not of much use to the OP, perhaps one of the saddest graveyards is Killnapastia (Church of the Children) on the golf course, used in days of old for the burial of unbaptised children, suicides, shipwrecked sailors, strangers, urepentant murderers and their victims.

All that remains of it now is an irregular square meter or two of ground with a plaque. It can be seen on the ordinance survey map from the 1890s here. (click through the preview maps to see older and newer maps and satelite images)

From Galway Golf Club
    Close to where the second tee is situated is a Childrens' Burial Ground - Killnapastia (Church of the Children). The Galway Archaeological Survey Files note "marked as asmall building on the seashore on the 1st edition of ordnance survey maps and called "Killnapastia" this site now consists of a sub rectangular area measuring 10 metres by 7 metres. Within it is an area of rough grass and boulders - this may be the remains of a Childrens' burial ground The site lies immediately beside the storm beach, at the edge of the golf course No trace of the building marked on the 1st edition survives. The name suggests that this may have been the site of a chapel". It was a common practice in the past to choose such sites as Killeens for the burial of unbaptised children and strangers.

Mr. T. Fanning, Archaeological Dept., U.CG. who supervised the work on the construction of the second tee suggested that a plaque with the following inscription be erected to mark the location of this ancient site.

"Cuireadh iad ar shli na mara,
    Taid anois ar shli na firinne".

The plaque can be read through the green netting fence between the golf course and the trail along the shoreline 150m beyond the Blackrock bathing tower.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

missymoo. wrote: »
    thanks for that, yes Bolands did live/own the Ardilaun but does that mean that the cemetery that was in the grounds of the Ardilaun Hotel was the site of Bolands Cemetery??? i know bodies were exhumed out of the gardens of the Ardilaun but again not sure where they were finally laid to rest....... one other thing has anyone heard of the locked room in the Ardilaun Hotel ????

The Ordinance Survey map from the 1890s shows a burial ground which is now under the houses between Dalton Drive and Glenard Cresent. Perhaps that was the area that was exhumed.

There was a pre-famine village just south of the area at the end of Daly's Fort Road shown on the 1842 OSI map, but no burial ground is mentioned.

I'm uncomfortable with the whole thing... 'Rest in Peace' and 'Final resting place' seem to be losing their meaning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭ladhrann

The Ordinance Survey map from the 1890s shows a burial ground which is now under the houses between Dalton Drive and Glenard Cresent. Perhaps that was the area that was exhumed.

There was a pre-famine village just south of the area at the end of Daly's Fort Road shown on the 1842 OSI map, but no burial ground is mentioned.

I'm uncomfortable with the whole thing... 'Rest in Peace' and 'Final resting place' seem to be losing their meaning.

Considering the attitude of both the planning authority, builders and a lot of locals that 'you can't stop progress' and 'tear down that auld ting' we should hardly be surprised.

Advertisement