Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

water meter my first impressions

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭dodzy

yep, thats my view entirely - i want to be able to see the digits clearly and the spinning dial - it should be that way, especially as they dont give you a way of checking it on some kind of remote wireless receiver unit the least it should be easily readable if i have to go out to road and flip the cover and read it that way. I wonder if I phone irish water and asked them to replace the meter to one with a transmitter at the side if they would oblidge? - worth asking do you reckon?

Ring them on 01-7072828. Tell them that you cannot read your meter as the dials are completely obscured. They are obliged to rectify this issue and leave you in a position whereby you can take readings unimpeded. It's their problem, and as such, they have to rectify it. 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭n0brain3r

For reference this is what mine looks like

00085e79-642.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Gosub

pippip wrote: »

We still haven't a meter fitted yet.....haven't received the pack in the post either.
    No, this can't be true! Lizzie Arnett, IW's communications officer, was on the tele last week saying that everyone has received their pack. She wouldn't go on national TV and lie now, would she?

I have neither meter or pack yet either. :D I do have an empty meter box though. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

n0brain3r wrote: »
    For reference this is what mine looks like

You can't see the red numbers, that what people are saying (along with the fact that they are incredibly difficult to read when stuck in the ground

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

have just emailed irish water and see what they will say... - asked them if they are not prepared to replace the water meter with more legible numbers can they at least remove the cyber blu sender unit on top and let me read and supply the meter readings myself to them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭dodzy

Mine just taken now. When you open the flap, the white/red digits are visible (well 2 of them are anyway as you can see). With the flap closed, you cannot see them.

Not taking away from the fact that you need to be on your knees with your head literally in a hole to take a reading.

324333.JPG

dodzy wrote: »
    Mine just taken now. When you open the flap, the white/red digits are visible (well 2 of them are anyway as you can see). With the flap closed, you cannot see them.

Not taking away from the fact that you need to be on your knees with your head literally in a hole to take a reading.

324333.JPG

I would have like to see that water meter fitted to our one, at least you can read the digits and with the lid that would keep the crud n dirt off the digit window.

dodzy wrote: »

.... Not taking away from the fact that you need to be on your knees with your head literally in a hole to take a reading.

we will all have to be going out kneeling in the frost and snow in our yellow road safety jackets just to keep an eye on our water meter readings - i cannot believe in this day and age that they did not use meters that are consumer friendly whereby consumers can just check their water meter readings in the comfort of inside the house with a remote wireless unit instead of just fitting ones where only their wireless equipment will be only able to read the meter wirelessly

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Thesafetyman

I wonder is there a business opportunity for some clever whiz-kid to develop an app that would allow you to read the meter on your tablet etc?

I wonder is there a business opportunity for some clever whiz-kid to develop an app that would allow you to read the meter on your tablet etc?

as far as i know it uses WinCe software - so unless you can get a WinCe emulator for the tablet I shouldnt think so, and then its the wireless issue - I think the handheld units IW will have will either get the wireless data by bluetooth or by wap - and even then I dont even know if the wireless signal or data will be encrypted or not, it could be - dont sound like you could just use a tablet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭bungaro79

i had to turn off the water yesterday when changing something in the toilet. when i went to turn it on about 90 mins later there was about 5 inches of water in the water meter hole when there was none previously. this never happened before the water meter was installed. like the OP i was concerned about this water freezing if we've the bad winter on the way. i rang irish water to let them know but i'm wondering if this is my one free fix?! would be well p*ssed off especially when it seems to be only there since the installation!

bungaro79 wrote: »
    i had to turn off the water yesterday when changing something in the toilet. when i went to turn it on about 90 mins later there was about 5 inches of water in the water meter hole when there was none previously. this never happened before the water meter was installed. like the OP i was concerned about this water freezing if we've the bad winter on the way. i rang irish water to let them know but i'm wondering if this is my one free fix?! would be well p*ssed off especially when it seems to be only there since the installation!

Can you let us know please how you get on - i reported mine, never heard back about it, saw an IW van driving past flagged it down and he told me that the water welling up was just where they fitted the boxes and hadnt drained away! - and that was that really...

• Registered Users Posts: 44 jcro

Would I be correct in saying that iw are the only utility that require you to maintain delivery from the road to your house.
    The esb and the telephone company fix faults as they happen right up to your door.Not sure about the gas company but i imagine they would
    too.So why is irish water getting away with this.This whole thing seems to be a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ForstalDave

jcro wrote: »
    Would I be correct in saying that iw are the only utility that require you to maintain delivery from the road to your house.
    The esb and the telephone company fix faults as they happen right up to your door.Not sure about the gas company but i imagine they would
    too.So why is irish water getting away with this.This whole thing seems to be a mess.

Most company's guarantee up to the entry point to your premises, With ESB and Gas its the meter as they own everything on the other side, Eircom/UPC its the first point in the house. Iris Water's entry point just happens to be on the road as that is where the cut of is in most cases

if there was a leak in the tap inside the meter box would it register on the meter? - in other words is the isolation tap placed before or after the meter?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

if there was a leak in the tap inside the meter box would it register on the meter? - in other words is the isolation tap placed before or after the meter?
    I just asked that very same question to the GMC Sierra guys installing ours, and they said it was before the meter.

It is annoying that you can't see all the digits and the little spinning dial, although I'd imagine / hope that if they were investigating a possible leak that it should be possible to temporarily remove the transmitter to gain access to this, but I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭phester28

everything is possible. they could even let you look at your daily usage using smart technology. But IW have set this up for a, you will use more, if it leaks you pay. If you report it to them you pay. everything in every way is you pay.

Advertisement