Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heating to comply with new building regs!

Options
  • 16-11-2014 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

My partner and I are building a 2000sq/ft 2 story house and we have to comply with the new regulations. I was hoping to get away with solar panels, a solid fuel stove with back boiler and 50mm slab board on all external walls but it doesn't suffice. Our architect/engineer Is to the book and won't sign off unless we are up to the new regs.
    I'm not a fan of geothermal heating as he is recommending. Has anyone fitted a air heat pump In their house and if so does it work and what price did you pay to get it fully fitted!

Any advice on any renewable system or what is needed under the new regs would be a massive help as it seems to be a grey area with builders/plumbers/architects. At the minute most are unsure what suffices!
    Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

This is ridiculous. So basically you have to install very expensive gadgets that'll almost never pay for themselves to be let build your house??
    What you already have would give you a very cheap to heat house as it is!
    Haha! Its just as well im horrifically deep in negative equity so i'll never be able to afford to do any big work on my house!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Michaelblll

Correct, government introduced new laws making it almost 30% more expensive to build a house. The reason is to cut out dodgy builders but it is going to cost us 15000euro to pay someone to sign off on our house, basically paying to use someone else's insurance. It has basically wiped out self -build homes.

Some new laws were needed but not to the extent of what they are at!

An open fireplace is now banned!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭dathi

My partner and I are building a 2000sq/ft 2 story house and we have to comply with the new regulations. I was hoping to get away with solar panels, a solid fuel stove with back boiler and 50mm slab board on all external walls but it doesn't suffice.
    !

to comply with part L of the building regulations you will have to put your complete building spec into the deap ( building energy rating) software to prove compliance. your engineer should be able to do this for you. you said a solid fuel stove in your post .a solid fuel stove is not counted as a renewable as it can burn coal. a wood burning stove can be used as part of your renewable as it can only burn wood which is regarded as carbon neutral . also 50mm slab on external cavity wall with insulation in the cavity is no where near what you will need to pass part L.

Advertisement