Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Negative air pressure problem. Any suggestions??

• 13-11-2014 1:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭

The problem I have is in a small restaurant. There are two rooms, one a kitchen with a commercial extraction system, the other room is the eating and serving area and the two are connected by swinging door.

The Dining area is heated by two electric heaters that are sufficient to heat the space. However when the kitchen extraction system is turned on all the heated air is pulled from the dining area into the kitchen area. The air in the dining area is replaced by cold air coming through the front door when open or through small spaces that are not sealed. I can even feel a draught coming through the socket holes. This means that the dining area then becomes cold.

If I open the back kitchen door the airflow from the dining area is stopped and the dining area again heats up. However For health and saftey reason and for comfort for staff(it gets cold) I cannot have the kitchen area back door open.

My question is how do I counteract this negative pressure issue in the kitchen. Is there a system or piece of equipment that I could use to equalise the pressure in the kitchen and stop the flow of air from the dining area?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

The problem I have is in a small restaurant. There are two rooms, one a kitchen with a commercial extraction system, the other room is the eating and serving area and the two are connected by swinging door.

The Dining area is heated by two electric heaters that are sufficient to heat the space. However when the kitchen extraction system is turned on all the heated air is pulled from the dining area into the kitchen area. The air in the dining area is replaced by cold air coming through the front door when open or through small spaces that are not sealed. I can even feel a draught coming through the socket holes. This means that the dining area then becomes cold.

If I open the back kitchen door the airflow from the dining area is stopped and the dining area again heats up. However For health and saftey reason and for comfort for staff(it gets cold) I cannot have the kitchen area back door open.

My question is how do I counteract this negative pressure issue in the kitchen. Is there a system or piece of equipment that I could use to equalise the pressure in the kitchen and stop the flow of air from the dining area?

The simple answer is if your extracting air you need to replace it so best is to put ventilation into kitchen by means of wall vents or whatever other means are feasible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Robbie.G wrote: »
    The simple answer is if your extracting air you need to replace it so best is to put ventilation into kitchen by means of wall vents or whatever other means are feasible

How would I heat this air coming in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

How would I heat this air coming in?

If you put vents low in the kitchen the extractor sucks air in these and not the warm air in the dining area

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,814 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

There is very good advice above.

The other small thing I'd wonder is whether the commercial air extraction system in the kitchen is running at too high a speed, at least some of the time.

corkgsxr wrote: »
    If you put vents low in the kitchen the extractor sucks air in these and not the warm air in the dining area

The side wall are abutting buildings next door and the back wall has a big cold room so my choices are very limited for vents.
    There is very good advice above.

The other small thing I'd wonder is whether the commercial air extraction system in the kitchen is running at too high a speed, at least some of the time.

The chefs say the system is running at normal speed and pressure.The kitchen was just done up and maybe its is just too air tight.

Thanks you both for your suggestions.

I was thinking of using one of these on the roof. anyone ever used one?

http://www.ggmgastro.com/radialventilator-4500m-pro-std-fur-airboxen.html?___store=ireland&___from_store=default

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 735 ✭✭✭KK4SAM

That's a large volume of air turnover per hour ,The volume of say a Basket ball court every hour.
    As suggested earlier this needs a source of fresh air rather than cooling the dining area.
    A speed controller may be a solution. ?
    Were there any filters cleaned of removed recently ?

KK4SAM wrote: »
    That's a large volume of air turnover per hour ,The volume of say a Basket ball court every hour.
    As suggested earlier this needs a source of fresh air rather than cooling the dining area.
    A speed controller may be a solution. ?
    Were there any filters cleaned of removed recently ?

Thanks.

It(extractor fan) is cleaned regularly but the problem does not change, as I said if I leave the back door open it is fine but at this time of year the cold air makes things uncomfortable in the kitchen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

Thanks.

It(extractor fan) is cleaned regularly but the problem does not change, as I said if I leave the back door open it is fine but at this time of year the cold air makes things uncomfortable in the kitchen.

Can you not run a ducted fresh air supply from outside terminating close to the extractor

MicktheMan wrote: »
    Can you not run a ducted fresh air supply from outside terminating close to the extractor

Thanks

Hi, was thinking about that as a solution. I think that is possibly the way To beat the problem. If I do this will this affect the amount of air being pulled away from the cooking station because of this extra air being introduced close to extractor?

Who would I get to do this in Dublin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

Thanks

Hi, was thinking about that as a solution. I think that is possibly the way To beat the problem. If I do this will this affect the amount of air being pulled away from the cooking station because of this extra air being introduced close to extractor?

Depends on how it is done / layout of kitchen/cooking station etc, i.e. someone would need to survey it to offer a solution. You will also need to think about condensation dripping, so insulated ducting should be considered.

• Advertisement
Advertisement