Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

E-Commerce in Ireland

• 04-04-2011 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I just have a few quick queries about this in relation to meetings.

Can a person who is on a service such as Skype count as being present at a meeting under Irish Company Law?

If so can they vote at these meetings and be counted towards Quorum?

Also if so is there any limitations to what can be done at a meeting when quorum is only reached by inclusion of people by electronic means?

I would appreciate any replies that can be of use to me. Sections of the companies act and other acts would be great if applicable.

Thanks.

Comments

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

I'd refer you to the eCommerce Act 2000, though I imagine that won't deal with the Companies Acts elements. To say you are in attendance at a board or general meeting by some form of electronic means would usually be by agreement of the other parties. In general there should be nothing precluding this. Some are right to have a healthy level of paranoia about freeware and NAT traversal software when dealing with sensitive topics and perhaps confidential ones at that. I wouldn't declare Skype safe myself. Just my view now. Tom

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ad09

Thanks for that. Havin reviewed a few different packages Skype was found to be the safest of the free packages and nothing of major importance would ever be discussed over it anyway.

Just again I would like clarification... If all parties are agreed that it is ok then is there anything in Irish law saying we cuoldn't count a person on an electronic link as being present at the meeting and counted towards quorum?

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

ad09 wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Havin reviewed a few different packages Skype was found to be the safest of the free packages and nothing of major importance would ever be discussed over it anyway.

Just again I would like clarification... If all parties are agreed that it is ok then is there anything in Irish law saying we cuoldn't count a person on an electronic link as being present at the meeting and counted towards quorum?

I don't believe so. You are present, albeit via telephone or IP application.

Advertisement