Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Douglas Adams sums up his atheism

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,959 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Wicknight wrote:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUfDWwWKXqQ&mode=related&search=

Douglas Adams sums up atheism and how he became to be an atheist in such a eloquent way it sounds like he is speaking for myself

This is also very good explanation of how the concept of god can arise

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyerwOIwfRc&NR=1
    I thought it was Gerry Adams when I read the title for this thread.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I too felt that way, would have been good. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

LOL :)

Title changed to avoid confusion and disappointment, though I suspect now my thread will not receive nearly as much attention as it would have if people though it was about Gerry Adams :p

Wicknight wrote:
    LOL :)

Title changed to avoid confusion and disappointment, though I suspect now my thread will not receive nearly as much attention as it would have if people though it was about Gerry Adams :p
    It would be interesing to see how many Sinners are atheists.
    I reckon Nationalism is the second most irrational philosophy after Religion. Might take it in separate thread sometime.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

It would be interesing to see how many Sinners are atheists.
    Not even atheists are free from sin. ;)

• Advertisement

Not even atheists are free from sin. ;)
    That has to be one of my worst typos. Well pointed out. According to wikipedia I should do *shinners.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Typo#Marking_typos

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

wasn't douglas adams british?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Beelzebub

Mordeth wrote:
    wasn't douglas adams british?

Indeed he was, English in fact. Best known as the author of Hitchhikers Guide to The Galaxy.

yeah, sorry I was just a bit confused by the american atheists bit at the beginning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Beelzebub

Mordeth wrote:
    yeah, sorry I was just a bit confused by the american atheists bit at the beginning

Yes, it was misleading.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

Thats really beautiful wicknight, thanks for posting....

I love the line, Dawkins often quotes it aswell:

'I'll take the awe of understanding over the awe of ignorance any day'

He was obviously a great bloke..must read more of his stuff.

i was watching richard dawkins - growing up in the universe last night.. ep 4 the ultraviolet garden and douglas adams was in it, reading a selection from (i think) restaraunt at the edge of the universe and then dawkins measured the amount of cells in adams' body.

think it was around 150 million, or billion.. or billion billion

150 something anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Mordeth wrote:

He is reading an interview he did with them. Interesting that they try to get him to talk about the discrimination he has faced because of being an atheist, and he says he hasn't face anything like that. Kinda highlights the difference between being an atheists in American and Europe

Advertisement