Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Second opinion on telly repair?

• 20-04-2015 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭

Dropped off my 19" Handspree flat screen into a telly repair shop recently. It was fine one minute, then the next, the screen went totally blank, as if the cameras at the football match I was watching, were pointing up at a cloudy grey sky. I had sound ok, but no video.

They rang me today to tell me that the driver board (drive board??) was gone and it will cost 200-250 euros to replace. Does this sound legit? I have heard some not so good things about the repair shop, so I am not sure if I should take their word for it, or take it else where for a second opinion.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

You could easily buy a new TV for cheaper than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Yeah, I know. I just wanted to cast around for another opinion, before I decided to go down that road. I have never gotten a TV of this nature repaired before, so I honestly have no idea what the numbers start at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

I don't think it really matters.

Unless you're really attached to the TV for whatever reason, it's not economical to repair, conside buying a new TV is cheaper and under warranty.

Regarding the price, it's probably 50 euro per hour labour and the rest for parts, which may be bought in, recovered from a similar model, or an easy fix on the existing board.
    its hard to know how the coats break down uless you know which method they're using.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Right you are. I just thought I'd ask in case I got a response along the lines of....

" 250 is madness. A new driveboad shouldn't cost more than 20 quid. Take it in here and they'll sort you out for well under a hundred quid. "

Can't hurt to ask, right? :)

Advertisement