Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your Opinion Please!

• 22-04-2014 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭

Good Evening, please bear with me on this but I've had enough of a situation & Im looking for some opinion.

a couple of times a week I commute from Dublin City Centre to Co Kildare with my wife & son, my wife gets on the train before me & can get a seat without an issue, when i get on its standing room only, generally theres a young lad sitting opposite her & my son.
    He also goes to the same destination but never offers to move seat when they become available so we can sit together(our son is of an age were he wants to sit & look out the window with me) other individuals have offered the seat when the train empties out but this chap doesnt seem to have the common sense to make the same decision. I have moved when traveling by myself to allow people sit beside each other so they can chat away rather than across the aisle as its just good manners.

My question, should I ask him or not!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭karma_coma

My opinion would be that unless the seats are pre-booked seats by yourself the person who chooses to sit in that same seat opposite your wife has every right to do so.

You could ask him to move but I think that would really be unfair to the youth as he would feel pressured to move. It is not rude of him in my opinion not to offer you his seat either. He got there first and shouldn't feel obliged to move unless there is an elderly, pregnant or infirm individual who needs to sit down.

You can criticise his conscience of character and compare your character to his all you like but at the end of the day, that person paid for their train ticket which entitles them to a seat if it is available to them first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

morning karma coma, thanks for your response. I accept your point of view in regards to having paid the fare he is entilted to take a seat if there is one available, its a fair point. On occasions that he is not in the seat & another individual is, when seats do become available, the majority of them will offer to move so we can sit together, he sits in the same local on the train & witnesses it occurring.

something just occurred to me, just because I would move if I was in the position doesnt mean that everyone would, ahh well, such is life.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Why not tell your wife not to sit opposite him? Pick another carriage....
    how would this lad know you are with your wife and how would he know you'd like him to move unless you ask him?

Dublin to Kildare is a very short journey, why bother about it?
    What about the other person sitting opposite your Wife? Do you expect her/him to move or is it just this is a young guy and you feel you should have priority over him somehow?

Morning corktina, thanks for your reply, the guy in question gets on after my wife.

As per my response this morning to karma coma, he is entilted to sit were he wishes & just because I would move in his position doesnt mean he has to. Perhaps I am just being harsh on a young lad!

thanks again for your reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Consider he may be a rather timid nervous guy who deliberately sits opposite your wife to feel safe ...(or maybe he fancies her).... Either way, nothing will change unless you change it, and I wouldn't bother .It seems odd to me that out of a whole train he ends up opposite Mrs Bloggsie most of the time...

• Advertisement

ahh here corktina now Im worried for him, seriously though most blokes young or old go the opposite way when they see a toddler on the train as they just want peace & quiet before going home to their own kids, or to play whatever game on the fone.

think i'll leave him alone, dont want to scare the beejaysus out of him & as you say its normally not too long a trip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Bloggsie wrote: »
    Good Evening, please bear with me on this but I've had enough of a situation & Im looking for some opinion.

a couple of times a week I commute from Dublin City Centre to Co Kildare with my wife & son, my wife gets on the train before me & can get a seat without an issue, when i get on its standing room only, generally theres a young lad sitting opposite her & my son.
    He also goes to the same destination but never offers to move seat when they become available so we can sit together(our son is of an age were he wants to sit & look out the window with me) other individuals have offered the seat when the train empties out but this chap doesnt seem to have the common sense to make the same decision. I have moved when traveling by myself to allow people sit beside each other so they can chat away rather than across the aisle as its just good manners.

My question, should I ask him or not!

No, get on the train at the same time as your wife and find a seat together.

Advertisement